The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

But just to keep a little perspective isn't it true that the A9 is actually cheaper than the Nikon and Canon high end cameras it's meant to be competing against?

Around the same I believe? D5 is same price I think!

But in that persepective - there is not a model that compares to the D500 price wise alone?

Last edited:
But just to keep a little perspective isn't it true that the A9 is actually cheaper than the Nikon and Canon high end cameras it's meant to be competing against?

Price up a package in comparison including lenses and flashes. A camera body does not make up a system.

Yep but I have the old one and if anything I would be looking at something that matches the D500 more than the D750. Therefore it would probably mean an A7RIII or A9. Add the 70-200 to that and you are over 5k already!!! Zero chance of me every owning a sony for the next few years lol

A7iii AF will more than likely match the A7riii, with the A9 being nearly D5 territory and priced accordingly.

Nikon D5 £4999
Canon EOS 1D X Mark II £4798
Sony A9 £4299 including 3 years extended warranty and multi-battery adaptor kit worth £459

It's right, Sony don't have anything APS-C that really competes with the Nikon D500.
What they need is a Sony A7000, basically a APS-C versions of the A9.

As mentioned above, when you factor lenses into the mix the price difference becomes less.
But what you have to remember is that both the Nikon and Canon systems have been around far longer than Sony and their lenses have dropped prices since their launch.
Sony lenses are bound to cost more as they are relatively new...... if you compare launch prices I am sure the Nikon and Canon lenses might have been priced around Sony levels.

Last edited:
Nikon D5 £4999
Sony A9 £4299 including 3 years extended warranty and multi-battery adaptor kit worth £459

It's right, Sony don't have anything APS-C that really competes with the Nikon D500.

won't shoot much without adding glass :wave:

Nikon D5 £4999

nah just a 45mp A9m2 that you can just shoot in crop mode :D

Nikon D5 £4999

As mentioned above, when you factor lenses into the mix the price difference becomes less.
But what you have to remember is that both the Nikon and Canon systems have been around far longer than Sony and their lenses have dropped prices since their launch.
Sony lenses are bound to cost more as they are relatively new...... if you compare launch prices I am sure the Nikon and Canon lenses might have been priced around Sony levels.

The latest Sony cameras are packing so much tech they were bound to cost a fortune. Just need to look at how unaffordable FX used to be!

I think Sony may have something in the future to complete with APS-C cameras such as the D500 & 7D MK2 etc!

The A7III looks nice but still think as a 'sports package' the D500 would come out on top.

Future looks bright though!

The latest Sony cameras are packing so much tech they were bound to cost a fortune. Just need to look at how unaffordable FX used to be!

I think Sony may have something in the future to complete with APS-C cameras such as the D500 & 7D MK2 etc!

The A7III looks nice but still think as a 'sports package' the D500 would come out on top.

Future looks bright though!
I agree, can't wait for the Sony A9 II :D

Around the same I believe? D5 is same price I think!

But in that persepective - there is not a model that compares to the D500 price wise alone?

My point was not to focus purely on how much a Sony Ax costs. In isolation the A9 is expensive but if it costs less / the same / roughly in the ball park as the competition then it's more understandable. Comparing the price of the A9 to an APS-C DSLR set up of course the A9 looks expensive and as an individual possibly looking to change from that APS-C DSLR to the A9 of course you have to think about the cost but other than that in a wider spec context it's not really a valid comparison.

Kevin Raber has posted a review of the A7III at Luminous Landscape.

It's a subscription site ($12 a year I think) so I wont bother posting a link and will instead just summarise and say that $12 a year isn't a bad buy for the articles they produce...

He's impressed with the camera and he didn't see the banding issue. He's not buying one as he already has an A9 and A7RIII but he thinks the camera is one of the best available for the price.

Kevin Raber has posted a review of the A7III at Luminous Landscape.

It's a subscription site ($12 a year I think) so I wont bother posting a link and will instead just summarise and say that $12 a year isn't a bad buy for the articles they produce...

He's impressed with the camera and he didn't see the banding issue. He's not buying one as he already has an A9 and A7RIII but he thinks the camera is one of the best available for the price.

Id agree, it looks very good VFM.

Theyr'e supposedly as good as bapland.
I asked if anyone had used them to buy camera equipment.

Your reply was about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard (wee joke before all hell breaks loose lol)

Your reply was about as helpful as a chocolate fireguard (wee joke before all hell breaks loose lol)
But a chocolate fireguard would taste nice :D nom nom Dairymilk.

It's a post based on various reviews I've seen online about that particular retailer.

Anyone use E global before to buy camera equipment?

Bought a couple of times from them. as Jonathan said it takes a couple of weeks for delivery. My second time was almost three weeks. I had emailed them after 2 weeks to try and find out what was happening but they took a month to respond to that so it doesn't bode well if you were to experience any problems with an item.

Back