The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

An insane price - firmly putting it in the pro's only market, or at least the very well-heeled amateurs...

I wonder if they'll do a 400mm f/5.6 to cater for lesser mortals? Pro's-only is a limited market for selling lenses.
There's already a 400mm 5.6 ie the zoom

I've spend a fair bit with Sony now, so they tend to look after me :) That being said.... I haven't inquired what they can do for me :D lol
Well in that case can you make them look after me through you :D
Recently I have been fancying an A7RIII ;)

Tamron FE 28-75mm @ 75mm cropped slightly over 2x

42999348622_c2f66ec038_b.jpg

Took the A9 out last weekend to a hill climb, first time in a long while I've taken FF gear as I've been using the Fuji setup for that for quite a while. Now I used to take a big old 1Ds2 or 1D4 and lenses, and whilst the setup certainly wasn't light it didn't particularly bother me carrying it all around for the day. I've obviously gotten used to the lighter setup though, as I certainly noticed it this time (getting older, fatter and unfitter probably also has a big impact!)!

The best thing?... I was looking forward to using the A9 with adapted lenses as I reckon it would do okay for panning etc., but that only works if you don't leave the MC-11 at home on a lens that you decided at the last minute not to take...! :( :D

I did have the Sigma 50mm so had some fun with that. The no EVF blackout is just utterly awesome, I find it painful now going back to cameras without it even when shooting single shot! If Fuji have no EVF blackout on the X-T3 that might sway me. The cost/weight of Sony is a concern, mainly the cost really!

Last edited:
Funny story but I somehow smudged my sensor on the r3 when in marseille but had no swabs to clean it so I used my lens cleaning cloth and boom done. Nice and clean.

Was letting a fellow photographer use his lenses on my A7III bodies and he has one of them set to AFS.

Started shooting the wedding this morning and that setting was left dialled in un noticed. I thought the camera or lens was faulty it was that bad! Why is AFS on these so bad ?

Was letting a fellow photographer use his lenses on my A7III bodies and he has one of them set to AFS.

Started shooting the wedding this morning and that setting was left dialled in un noticed. I thought the camera or lens was faulty it was that bad! Why is AFS on these so bad ?

Because it uses contrast detect AF for a final confirmation.

So do you find a better hit rate with af-c then, not had to much of an experiment with mine in both modes yet so will be interested to hear others findings/ focus settings

So do you find a better hit rate with af-c then, not had to much of an experiment with mine in both modes yet so will be interested to hear others findings/ focus settings

I use AFC 100% of the time. Almost flawless hit rate

Thanks, will try more in af-c then, noticed I have missed a few in low light so maybe that’s due to af-s then

Received the AR7III today and I have to say my first impressions have left me a little disappointed.

• The only way to engaged the electronic shutter is to select silent mode (but I want to enable sounds)
  • Even shooting the mechanical shutter I can see the distortion when shooting fast moving objects, such as a fan (forced situation I accept)
  • The viewfinder blackout is really annoying, especial at high frame rates. I didn't realised how much I loved this on the A9
Might be a knee jerk reaction because I love the A9 so much, we'll see.

Received the AR7III today and I have to say my first impressions have left me a little disappointed.

• The only way to engaged the electronic shutter is to select silent mode (but I want to enable sounds)
  • Even shooting the mechanical shutter I can see the distortion when shooting fast moving objects, such as a fan (forced situation I accept)
  • The viewfinder blackout is really annoying, especial at high frame rates. I didn't realised how much I loved this on the A9

On point 2 have you turned off EFCS also?

Look at the extra £2500 in your pocket.

Then smile :p

I’ve just done a burst of 20 frames on mine and the only black out was a brief millisecond after the first frame. 1/500th H+

No EVF blackout is epic, it is literally the single main feature that has me thinking about selling all my other gear and going Sony.

Last edited:
Last time I spent all day testing and posting I recall nobody believed a mirrorless lens could front or back focus or micro adjust focus soooooo...... Nope.

a properly developed mirrorless lens shouldn't. If it does then it's a design flaw or a defect. That's all I said.
I believe someone in this thread sent back their FE85 because it was front focussing and it was replaced since it was seen as a defect.

Last edited:
Back