The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

However the Zeiss isn't exactly problem free, with the reports of decentering. I guess most lenses have flaws you need to just get a good copy or weigh up the pros/cons.

True but it's not a problem if you shoot most of the time in F/1.4.

True but it's not a problem if you shoot most of the time in F/1.4.

How did you come to that conclusion.

A lot of these when they are decentered are incredibly soft down one side.

I have seen some images from a decentered copy of this lens and it was noticable even at f/1.4

Hmmm, food for thought, if I did switch I'd need to save a bit more. In no rush anyway, the Samyang lenses would just make it a bit easier if I wanted the A7III, which I have pretty much decided is the one I would switch for. I was interested in the A7RII and that would leave me more spare cash toward lenses but there a few things I don't like about it.

If anyone is looking the Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8 quite a few suppliers are showing stock now on eBay including the likes of Mifsuds whose listing says delivery by Tuesday. Carmarthen Camera Centre ebay shop is showing them as available too. I Just bought one myself.

Last edited:
Hmmm, food for thought, if I did switch I'd need to save a bit more. In no rush anyway, the Samyang lenses would just make it a bit easier if I wanted the A7III, which I have pretty much decided is the one I would switch for. I was interested in the A7RII and that would leave me more spare cash toward lenses but there a few things I don't like about it.
If the A7iii is what you want I would wait around and see if an A7iv comes out in the next few months. The A7iii was released 3 months after the A7Riii which has just been updated so by September/October I can see an A7iv appearing. If one is released there may be a few used A7iiis or a price drop on the A7iii.

If anyone is looking the Tamron 17-28mm f/2.8 quite a few suppliers are showing stock now on eBay including the likes of Mifsuds whose listing says delivery by Tuesday. Carmarthen Camera Centre ebay shop is showing them as available too. I Just bought one myself.
Do let us know it how performs :)

When I got my A7 out yesterday it asked me to set the clock. Maybe the internal battery is going? Maybe this is my excuse to buy a new camera :D

If the A7iii is what you want I would wait around and see if an A7iv comes out in the next few months. The A7iii was released 3 months after the A7Riii which has just been updated so by September/October I can see an A7iv appearing. If one is released there may be a few used A7iiis or a price drop on the A7iii.

Not a bad idea, I'm in no hurry either way but at some point I just know I will have to give Sony a shot. It's only budget restraints stopping me right now. But if an A7IV does turn up any time soon the III will certainly see a drop, especially in the used market

Not a bad idea, I'm in no hurry either way but at some point I just know I will have to give Sony a shot. It's only budget restraints stopping me right now. But if an A7IV does turn up any time soon the III will certainly see a drop, especially in the used market
Sony bodies don't hold their value very well. On the other hand e-mount lenses hold their value exceptionally well.

Or they never expected someone to keep the A7 this long and it can't handle 2019 dates :D

I've only had it six years.

I've had my Kodak Instamatic 36 48 years.

That Sony A7 has got some way to go before it's paid for itself.

Sony bodies don't hold their value very well. On the other hand e-mount lenses hold their value exceptionally well.

The A7III seems to be holding out better than most, even newer ML offerings like the R have dropped to below the price of the III on some sites

I've only had it six years.

I've had my Kodak Instamatic 36 48 years.

That Sony A7 has got some way to go before it's paid for itself.

The real measure is how many pictures has your Kodak taken and how many has your A7 taken.

The A7III seems to be holding out better than most, even newer ML offerings like the R have dropped to below the price of the III on some sites

That's because A7III is still selling but as soon as A7IV is out it'll drop quickly. Sony will simply launch it at £2K again to kill the competition.
Look at A7RIII for instance, selling used for less than half it's RRP at launch! Won't be long before A7III follows.

That's because A7III is still selling but as soon as A7IV is out it'll drop quickly. Sony will simply launch it at £2K again to kill the competition.
Look at A7RIII for instance, selling used for less than half it's RRP at launch! Won't be long before A7III follows.

Don't start with rumours like that or you'll have to start your own website. My sources tell me a new APSC and RxXx is coming :rolleyes:

You think the A7IV will have an impact on the sales of the a7iii?

Personally I think it'll have no impact at all.

EDIT - I was referring to the A7RIV, I'm not that stupid :D

Last edited:
Why?

Demand controls price, I can't see it having an impact as the price has already dropped. A7IV is aimed at a different clientele and is almost £2k more expensive.

I think it most certainly will on the used market because many 7III owners will want to upgrade and offload the older model. Maybe not so much on new models. But if you have someone pondering on a new A7III atm, and they get a whiff that the IV is coming soon and the price is attractive, then it will have a knock on effect. The demand is there right now because there is no mk IV. Even if it's not a huge upgrade, look at Fuji, the X-T3 release shot the X-T2 prices down and tbh, it's much the same camera outside of improved AF and extra video options.

Last edited:
Why?

Demand controls price, I can't see it having an impact as the price has already dropped. A7IV is aimed at a different clientele and is almost £2k more expensive.

An A7IV hasn't been announced yet, but when it has and is released then as @nandbytes said the A7III price will start to drop.

You seem to be reading A7IV as A7RIV :)

I’m going to get that, let us know what it’s like.

If it’s half way decent I will be happy enough. Expecting to be a bit soft in the corners but that doesn’t bother me so much. I needed another wide lens anyway. If it isn’t as good as my 16-35 f/4 I will give it to my missus.

If it’s half way decent I will be happy enough. Expecting to be a bit soft in the corners but that doesn’t bother me so much. I needed another wide lens anyway. If it isn’t as good as my 16-35 f/4 I will give it to my missus.

I am only buying it as a spare to my primes and for the ultra wide end, don't need to be Otus quality.

I am only buying it as a spare to my primes and for the ultra wide end, don't need to be Otus quality.

I only use a lens like this as a get me out of trouble lens and sometimes for the dancing. That’s why I didn’t think there was any point getting the G.M. This one is nice and light as well which is a bonus.

I've looked at the Zony 24-70 f/4 so many times, cost being a major factor I've seen it below £450 brand new from some of the grey market sellers. It's a lens that seems to make a lot of sense, but you find more people saying how average it is than people singing it's praises.
Exactly. The Tamron zoom shouldn’t be better than a Zeiss but all the anecdotal evidence suggests it is.

On its way will be interesting to see if it out performs my 16-35 f/4.

View attachment 250993

The review I saw from one user was that it seemed wider than stated at both 20& 28 mm.

@ 28 he compared it to the 28-75 which is where it was wider but was notably less sharp that the 28-75.

@17 he said is where it was sharpest.

Smaller and lighter than the 28-75
, I’m sure he said it was between the 85 1.8 and 28-75 in weight and size.

Will wait for some more reviews then will probably try and pick one up

My 35 1.2 will be delivered tomorrow. 3rd wedding on the trot tomorrow and would have loved to have it for it as it's an actor's wedding and might get abit of attention

Fingers crossed its here before 9am lol

My 35 1.2 will be delivered tomorrow. 3rd wedding on the trot tomorrow and would have loved to have it for it as it's an actor's wedding and might get abit of attention

Fingers crossed its here before 9am lol

A or Z list? don't suppose you can let us in on some info? :D

I really recommend the RRS bracket. It’s not cheap but well built. There’s one on eBay if you’re willing to spend that much.
Best L-bracket for A7III that is affordable?

Finding the Smallrig too bulky

Seeing this has made me realise that I've got a KirkPhoto L bracket for A7R3 and A9 sitting in the cupboard virtually unused and likely to remain so. It was a present from my daughter in the US. Should think about selling it I suppose.

Best L-bracket for A7III that is affordable?

Finding the Smallrig too bulky
Me too, the Smallrig seems good quality but makes the camera feel huge, there are some blatant copies of the RRS on eBay by Gabale which are much cheaper but I have no idea about the quality or fit, if anyone here has got one could you let us know your opinion of it.

Clear Image Zoom

Is this something that works with normal photography, or just video?
Anyone tried it?

Clear Image Zoom

Is this something that works with normal photography, or just video?
Anyone tried it?
It's a digital zoom with upscaling. Works quite well but it's no magic wand. Also only possible when shooting jpg

Back