The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

You are the minority that wants small and uncomfortable. Not many say the mk1 has better ergonomics than a mk3.

well apparently not since sony seems to be finally catering for my kind. there must be a reasonable amount of interest in such a body.

Just a simple landscape/seascape type Snapograph taken at Kent UK of one of the Wooden Walkways across the beach. I've deliberately gone for a slightly higher contrast gritty look to this snap to emphasise the various textures.

RX10M4, 1/800th @ F5.6, ISO-100, Tripod.
Wooden Walkway (1)-03458 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking., (y):sony:

George.
Great shot George, that path seems to go on forever.

well apparently not since sony seems to be finally catering for my kind. there must be a reasonable amount of interest in such a body.

Your kind? Nope, it's progression from the kit apsc user who has a few more quid in their pocket.

I could be interested but if the A7c's controls are like the A6xxx then that could kill my interest as I'd much prefer two control dials towards the top of the camera. I hope I'm wrong but this leaked A7c doesn't look like it has them.

Did a little shoot tonight for someone, got plenty of standard pin sharp portrait shots but thought i'd have a little play with this one and process it in an old film style as she's looking moody.

Yup. She looks rather cross :D

Your kind? Nope, it's progression from the kit apsc user who has a few more quid in their pocket.
Really? I have just moved from the Nikon Z6 (excellent camera) to the Sony A6 series, because I needed reduced weight and bulk. Have you recently had cancer treatment which has left you weakened, but still want to continue a hobby of photography? Sure, ergonomically it's far from ideal, with no front dial, tiny viewfinder, fiddly buttons, and a difficult menu. (and whoever designed the method of firmware update which involves a routine (Mac, at least) requiring two pages of instruction wants shooting) But you know what? I'll persevere with these shortcomings in order to continue making photographs, if it's all right by you.

Really? I have just moved from the Nikon Z6 (excellent camera) to the Sony A6 series, because I needed reduced weight and bulk. Have you recently had cancer treatment which has left you weakened, but still want to continue a hobby of photography? Sure, ergonomically it's far from ideal, with no front dial, tiny viewfinder, fiddly buttons, and a difficult menu. (and whoever designed the method of firmware update which involves a routine (Mac, at least) requiring two pages of instruction wants shooting) But you know what? I'll persevere with these shortcomings in order to continue making photographs, if it's all right by you.

Im sorry to hear you are unwell and glad you are enjoying your new camera but theres no need to get upset with me.

Last edited:
Im sorry to hear you are unwell and glad you are enjoying your new camera but theres no need to get upset with me.
It's that I don't like putting people into boxes - in any walk of life - as we are all different with our own likes and needs. And thanks for your commiserations :). Actually the cancer is cured - it's the after-effects of the treatment which are causing difficulties.;)

It's that I don't like putting people into boxes - in any walk of life - as we are all different with our own likes and needs. And thanks for your commiserations :). Actually the cancer is cured - it's the after-effects of the treatment which are causing difficulties.;)

Thats how the marketing departments think, its numbers not specific cases and I don't care what camera anyone uses, theres not a 1 fits all approach. Imo that is their volume target audience.

Last edited:

I disagree with this. I've often thought that if I could stop the gear fondling (it's old/new manual lenses that get my gas going) I and many other people may be perfectly happy with a kit lens and a fast prime. That might not be enough for some and obviously wouldn't cover birds in flight, football matches or other more kit dependant uses but for general family, friends and walkabout stuff a compact RF style body and a couple of lenses could be great for social use, days out and holidays.

Not having the control dial setup I want could kill any interest I have though.

I disagree with this. I've often thought that if I could stop the gear fondling (it's old/new manual lenses that get my gas going) I and many other people may be perfectly happy with a kit lens and a fast prime. That might not be enough for some and obviously wouldn't cover birds in flight, football matches or other more kit dependant uses but for general family, friends and walkabout stuff a compact RF style body and a couple of lenses could be great for social use, days out and holidays.

Not having the control dial setup I want could kill any interest I have though.
LOL that's exactly what I said... In fewer words.

TcuzVII.jpg

LWi7b3L.jpg

izpN4OQ.jpg

Pictures of the A7c...

Is there anyone who thinks that this control layout, one dial and the spinning back dial, is better than having two dials, front and back or at least side by side for aperture and shutter?

AFAIK people have been shouting about changing the A6xxx controls since the cameras dropped the two dial set up so why Sony? Why?

The only save would be if that back dial towards the top is clickable to toggle between aperture and shutter.

Last edited:
Pictures of the A7c...

Is there anyone who thinks that this control layout, one dial and the spinning back dial, is better than having two dials, front and back or at least side by side for aperture and shutter?

AFAIK people have been shouting about changing the A6xxx controls since the cameras dropped the two dial set up so why Sony? Why?

The only save would be if that back dial towards the top is clickable to toggle between aperture and shutter.
A single dial is not so bad if you’re shooting in A or S. But if you shoot manually, it’s a bit of a pain because the back dial is too easily knocked by the hands.

Back