The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Patience... it'll come and when it does you'll be very very happy :D

I thought about getting a Voigtlander 35mm f1.2 but I don't think I'll bother. I'm tempted by a wide or long zoom but again I don't think I'll bother. The only other thing that repeatedly tempts me a lot is the A7c but although it's finding fans here there just seem to be too many work arounds for me and although I could work around most things the one I'm stuck on is not being able to go seamlessly and without intervention from me from mechanical to electronic shutter as I can with my MFT cameras.

A FF camera that's smaller than my GX9?

View attachment 300197

View attachment 300198
The Voigtlander 21mm is the f3.5 one Incidentally. It’s got the electrical connections.

There's nothing I want :mad:

There wasn’t anything in particular I was looking either it I might of taken a stab at another A9II if there had of been any offers.

Probably just as well as I will getting the new 35GM when it launchs in the new year and should probably keep some spare dough for that.

I wouldn't mind replacing my 35 f2.8 with something faster and nicer. The new Sigma might be just the ticket.

I honestly don't think you'd gain anything. If you wanted the AF stuff then yes.
Having also come from the MK1 camera, size wise it's the same minus the EVF hump, build quality is a lot better though, really solid feel and much better lens mount. Feels better in the hand than the MK1 camera.

What I'd gain is...

Better image quality, even if I can only see it when pixel peeping.
Better low light performance, if only at the extremes.
and... Speed and responsiveness. Maybe?

One issue with my A7 is that its performance can best be described using words such as adequate or even leisurely. It's ok-ish in good to failing light but when the light level drops further so does the performance of the camera. I assume the newer cameras are faster?

Indoor or other lowlight social use is something that my A7 really struggles with so I use my MFT cameras which are still lightening fast in situations in which taking a picture with my A7 takes several seconds which is really too long.

If the newer cameras are quicker to focus something like an A7III or even A7c could potentially replace not only my A7 but also my MFT cameras.

Actually I'd be amazed if any FF camera could match the speed of operation of my MFT cameras but if they could get close that'd be good enough.

Last edited:
The Voigtlander 21mm is the f3.5 one Incidentally. It’s got the electrical connections.

All my (three) Voigtlanders have electronic coms as does the 35mm f1.2 SE I keep looking at but probably wont buy.

I love coconut. We often buy them, I cut them up and we just eat the pieces from a bowl plus Mrs WW uses them in cooking. I like milk chocolate bounties but the dark chocolate one is IMO the pinnacle of confectionery.

I often think they should do limited edition ones with a touch of fruit sauce running through, lime,strawberry etc

I bought three dark chocolate bounties yesterday. They're scarce in the shops so I was lucky to find some.

Love dark chocolate. I've discovered my new favourite biscuits. Munched through them too quickly and had to go out for more supplies. Might have to introduce border control. :LOL:

20201128-134627.jpg

Love dark chocolate. I've discovered my new favourite biscuits. Munched through them too quickly and had to go out for more supplies. Might have to introduce border control. :LOL:

20201128-134627.jpg

We get those all the time they are great at this time of year with a spicy coffee.

i'd sell you my 12-24mm :p

there a nice copy on ebay for £950 which doesn't seem to be a bad price for ebay.

I'm in the house today but outside I think it's a nice day for taking pictures.... Usually I don't like flat dead light no sky days as we get so many but today it looks atmospheric and the mist adds to it and it is looking like a nice day for taking pictures.

It's just horrible and dull here. Got my jobs for the day, measuring up for a new balustrade im going to make out of white oak.

It's just horrible and dull here. Got my jobs for the day, measuring up for a new balustrade im going to make out of white oak.

It could be described as horrible here but I would enjoy a walk in the woods just to see if I can get a few keepers.

At school I wanted to be a joiner but I ended up being an electrician, drifting into computers and then assessments, audits and stuff. Where did it all go so wrong? :D

Mrs WW, on her birthday! :D With her new birthday pen and pencil set!

ZMxOsuD.jpg

She doesn't want to do anything special today, she just wants to settle down and watch the footie :D

I can watch the footie with her but I can't hear the commentary above her shouting and screaming at the TV.

Mrs WW, on her birthday! :D With her new birthday pen and pencil set!

ZMxOsuD.jpg

She doesn't want to do anything special today, she just wants to settle down and watch the footie :D

Happy birthday Mrs WW!

Decided to get up early this morning. No fog in Bristol. Headed out to the usual woodland up on the Mendips and as soon as I left the city....... 50 yard visibility!! Six hours wandering the woods and ran out of food!

Not sure if someone has already posted this deal?

Sony 200-600 G Lens

£1394 with free P&P and Free Sandisk SD card with code SONY-10 at Park Cameras. This is currently eligible for Sony Cashback of £100 which makes this £1294 which I believe is the best price ever on this sort after lens.

Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS Lens 7240795T Screenshot 2020-11-29 at 21.13.16.png

It's quite a neat deal. That code also works for bunch of other Sony lenses. For example you can get FE55 for £530 new.

Best enthusiast FF mirrorless and Sony comes last?

oh well :D

mostly expected though i disagree with their IQ ranking. Sony is still on top for dynamic range and ISO performance

but R6 is still the best overall do it all body as of today looking at the body alone. that's the one I'd buy if i was jumping into this today with no "baggage"

Last edited:
Having long sold off all my Canon mount lenses years ago I'd take a look at the lens line up before buying into any system today and I think that Sony (and the 3rd parties in Sony mount) have the edge here as they have pretty much everything I'd ever want at prices I'm willing to pay and I don't think that's true of the rest yet but I can see how Canon might be attractive to those with a bag full of eos lenses.

Good job we didn't swap out our cranky A7 bodies for one of those A7iii things then...!! ;)

Mine just just about everything I want with the only weakness being the speed of operation for low light social use.

Iv never being happier since i went to Sony a9mkII and I will stay with them but i do fancy that new Olympus 150/400 +tc but i would also need a EM1X just waiting to see how good the new bird detection .

Rob.

Back