The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Last edited:
Went out this afternoon to a new place near me that I didn't even know existed, called Arnos Park. Pouring down with rain of course, but it didn't matter because I was wearing one of those furry trimmed hood coats and for the most part was shooting under cover :)

Viaduct 2
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Viaduct 4
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Viaduct arches 4
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Viaduct arches 6
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Viaduct arches 3
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Thanks for these. It’s on my must visit list.

Went out this afternoon to a new place near me that I didn't even know existed, called Arnos Park. Pouring down with rain of course, but it didn't matter because I was wearing one of those furry trimmed hood coats and for the most part was shooting under cover :)

Viaduct 2
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Viaduct 4
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Viaduct arches 4
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Viaduct arches 6
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Viaduct arches 3
by Merlin 5, on Flickr
That mono picture is especially good.

To me, that would be a deal-breaker too. Can't shoot backlit portraits? Really? :facepalm:

The lady who made the video replied to my comment on her channel, I posted basically the same thing and she agreed that is a dealbreaker for a job. Although she thinks that flare is beautiful, personally I think she is being kind to Canon here....it's too strong and reversed,

2XxvwYl.png

Last edited:
It's like having Taylor Swift photo bomb your wedding shoot, beautiful as it may be, it's distracting and getting all the attention.

What do people think about the 65mm focal length?

I can see how some may think it's a strange choice and that 85mm would make more sense but I can also see some appeal as 85mm may be too tight if space is limited and 50mm may not be tight enough without a crop. So, I can see the appeal of 65mm as a slightly longer "normal" but with a bit more compression than a 50mm would give assuming you still have that little bit of room to frame the shot... but not enough for an 85mm. It's a niche maybe but I can see the appeal.

Or maybe just use a 50/55mm, stand at 65mm distance and do a slight crop :D

Last edited:

I can see how some may think it's a strange choice and that 85mm would make more sense but I can also see some appeal as 85mm may be too tight if space is limited and 50mm may not be tight enough without a crop. So, I can see the appeal of 65mm as a slightly longer "normal" but with a bit more compression than a 50mm would give assuming you still have that little bit of room to frame the shot... but not enough for an 85mm. It's a niche maybe but I can see the appeal.

it looks interesting to me but id mainly stick with a 1.4/1.8 50ish lens and crop.

i have very very rarely found an image with lens flare that I've liked or even very very rarely found any of my flare images to be usable.
inspiration apparently lol - i don't like most of them

they are more a thing in movies and I can see how they can add to a movies and sense of realism but they ruin static shots IMO
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IesAvesFUo

it looks interesting to me but id mainly stick with a 1.4/1.8 50ish lens and crop.

50mm used to be my most used but these days I've switched to 35mm. I have old 50mm lenses and a new Voigtlander 50mm f2 and the AF Sony 55mm f1.8. It's always niggled me that the 55mm isn't 50mm and although it's one of the best lenses I've ever used it does have things that distract from its charm so I was thinking about changing it for the Sigma 65mm as 85mm is a bit long for me.

I was just thinking. I probably wont do it as I have way too many lenses and can't seem to get myself to part with any when I buy new ones. The smart thing would be to get the Sigma 35 and 65 and sell the Sony 35, 55 and 85mm f1.8's and possibly the Voigtlander 50mm f2... which would be hard as that Voigtlander is the best lens I've ever used but I hardly ever use it.

I am not against it... I don't really like 50mm range much for my style of shooting.

i have very very rarely found an image with lens flare that I've liked or even very very rarely found any of my flare images to be usable.
inspiration apparently lol - i don't like most of them

they are more a thing in movies and I can see how they can add to a movies and sense of realism but they ruin static shots IMO
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IesAvesFUo

its hard now to find a movie where they havent added flare in. i find it a bit odd, especially in animated movies.

I think 65mm makes more sense of you have like a 35mm/135mm prime combo and want something in between and find 50mm to close to 35mm.

It's not a lens anyone owning a 50mm or an 85mm would buy I think.

On the other hand L-mount can do with more option and cheap ones at that.

For some reason (maybe too much Malt, if that’s not an oxymoron) I’ve ended up with a 35mm and a 45mm. Be interesting if I find both of them equally useful. Also just bought a Samyang 75mm f1.8. Just need a camera now ... :rolleyes:

65mm doesn't appeal to me personally. I think I'd find it too in between.

The other day I got my 85mm f1.8 out to take pictures of Mrs WW on her birthday to send to her mam and 85mm was just way too tight for me indoors as I was up against a wall. Plus it's months since I used that lens outside so it just got me thinking if 65mm might be better for me... but really what I should do is use a 50mm and crop it.

Thanks for these. It’s on my must visit list.

Yes trevor, worth a visit and easy free parking there. It's a nice open space for a stroll, was very quiet yesterday with the odd person and their dog and umbrella. A nice brook with a little wooden bridge which would be quite nice for one of those creamy water shots if I ever get to buy a filter and the main feature being the massive viaduct which now carries london tube trains. And quite a few trees that Lee Ratters would enjoy and make a very good job of photoing and processing. The processing on my trees does look a little weird.

That mono picture is especially good.

Thanks Stephen. Was very tempting to make even more in black and white.

Last edited:

Viaduct 2
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Viaduct 4
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Viaduct arches 4
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Viaduct arches 6
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Viaduct arches 3
by Merlin 5, on Flickr
The B&W is a cool shot

The other day I got my 85mm f1.8 out to take pictures of Mrs WW on her birthday to send to her mam and 85mm was just way too tight for me indoors as I was up against a wall. Plus it's months since I used that lens outside so it just got me thinking if 65mm might be better for me... but really what I should do is use a 50mm and crop it.

Or just use a 50 and take a step forward?

I'm starting to prefer to use the Contax CZ 80-200mm over the FE85....!! I know I don't have the f/1.8 aperture but the compression I can get is really starting to grow on me.

Maybe I will end up with the Tamron 70-180mm one day..... ;)

Viaduct 2
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Viaduct 4
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Viaduct arches 4
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Viaduct arches 6
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Viaduct arches 3
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Very nice set of images Lee, particularly liking the mono presentation.

Or just use a 50 and take a step forward?

I had the 85mm mounted which is what caused the problem.

There are two choices with a 50mm instead of the 85mm... move further forward and frame with the 50mm or just move a teeny bit forward from 85mm position and crop the 50mm picture for the slightly longer camera to subject distance perspective.

Or buy the 65mm :D

There are two choices with a 50mm instead of the 85mm... move further forward and frame with the 50mm or just move a teeny bit forward from 85mm position and crop the 50mm picture for the slightly longer camera to subject distance perspective.

Sounds like you just need a bigger house then you can keep using the 85. ;)

Buy. Buy. BUY.

It's awkward - belongs on a zoom lens. ;)

I find the 55 just a little narrower than I'd like compared to a 50, and I think 65 would be like that withiout the benefits of a little extra compression that I get from an 85. As said, if you have 35 and 100+ lenses then perhaps it would be useful, but otherwise it's a little too long and a little too wide.

It's awkward - belongs on a zoom lens. ;)

I find the 55 just a little narrower than I'd like compared to a 50, and I think 65 would be like that withiout the benefits of a little extra compression that I get from an 85. As said, if you have 35 and 100+ lenses then perhaps it would be useful, but otherwise it's a little too long and a little too wide.

Yup. It always niggles me and I don't know if it's a genuine thing and I can see the difference or if it's just that my mind knows it's a 55mm not a 50mm. I probably wont get the 65mm and might not get the 35mm either as getting either or both would mean selling something.

Good news (I hope). My camera is now in the air thanks to Panamoz sending a replacement direct to me instead of via a UK depot, and due for delivery Monday morning. Fingers crossed! :p
Fingers crossed for you...
My new A9 seems to be stuck at Lantau Island. Been there since Wed.
Still says due for delivery Monday, but can see how tbh...

Fingers crossed for you...
My new A9 seems to be stuck at Lantau Island. Been there since Wed.
Still says due for delivery Monday, but can see how tbh...
What carrier are they using? Mine is coming direct with UPS.

My stuff had always come direct with FedEx from Panamoz. Only E-infinity it goes somewhere then changes to royal mail.

Back