The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

Well, it’s arrived, I’ve put a memory card in, and my pre-charged battery. Gone through the menu and set up the basics (no manual included - is this normal?). Fitted the Tamron 28-75. This lens is bulkier and heavier than I expected despite using that simulation web site. Think I will be using prime lenses a lot. Not shot anything yet - it’s getting dark outside. The reduced number of buttons is actually a relief to me as I usually forget what I’ve assigned to them. I think I’ll like this camera.

Well, it’s arrived, I’ve put a memory card in, and my pre-charged battery. Gone through the menu and set up the basics (no manual included - is this normal?). Fitted the Tamron 28-75. This lens is bulkier and heavier than I expected despite using that simulation web site. Think I will be using prime lenses a lot. Not shot anything yet - it’s getting dark outside. The reduced number of buttons is actually a relief to me as I usually forget what I’ve assigned to them. I think I’ll like this camera.
I like the simplicity of it as well. I haven't really used mine yet, I did take it to a light show but it threw it down the whole time.

Just been to the bottom of the yard to get the last of the sun on the river. Using the Tamron was actually nicer than expected. Focus is very fast, and accurate. IBIS seems decent too.

Hi, anyone tell me if you can tweak the focus on the 70-200 F4 while in A/F mode?
Thankyou. Russ.

I put a pin in the map yesterday, decided to take the tube to Euston and spent the afternoon there and inside Euston station. After a while I noticed roadies unravelling cables and setting up a stage, actually a drum riser stage. I figured it was probably some unknown band to entertain people. They looked like they were going to be a while and I then left. Saw on bbc news this morning that it was Shakin' Stevens performing xmas songs and Kate and William were there! I wish I'd stayed now. :(

Anyway, here's some photos from yesterday. :)

This first one I used Topaz Denoise on.

Train to skate

Skateboard
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Let's both concentrate

Concentration
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Appropriately, Tube

Tube
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

I found some neon signs behind windows in euston road promoting action on antibiotics, so I did some fishing and waited for the right person to walk into my frame. I call this

Don't waste time

Dont waste time..
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Hi, anyone tell me if you can tweak the focus on the 70-200 F4 while in A/F mode?
Thankyou. Russ.

Not for that lens but can't imagine it's any different but I have a button set up to recall a memory setting that has DMF selected. Basically press, manual focus tweak, done. If that's what you mean I'll send the info

Not for that lens but can't imagine it's any different but I have a button set up to recall a memory setting that has DMF selected. Basically press, manual focus tweak, done. If that's what you mean I'll send the info
Hi thankyou, I need an option really for things like birds in branches, today woodpecker in between branches and just could not quite get focus in A/F and by the time switch to M it's gone so any help most welcome. Russ.

One of the YouTube vloggers was using a Hasselbland digital a month or so ago. I did like the minimalist nature of it myself!

Hi thankyou, I need an option really for things like birds in branches, today woodpecker in between branches and just could not quite get focus in A/F and by the time switch to M it's gone so any help most welcome. Russ.

Ok, well here is what I have and I cannot claim to be the inventor as I will have seen it somewhere else. There may be a better way to do it too.

First set up the memory:
Menu Shoot Mode 4/14 - Reg Cust Shoot Set
Recall Custom Hold 1
Select in that menu list:
"Focus Mode" - set to "DMF"
"Focus Area" - set to "Wide"
"AF On" set to ""On" only

Then choose "Register"

Then choose a custom key (I use the "AF-On" button as it's under my thumb and I use the multi selector for the actual AF-On function anyway) and use that key to select "Recall Custom Hold 1"

Then when shooting you can focus as normal but if it's not right press and hold "AF-On" (in my case) and DMF will kick in. If you have focus peaking etc set up that fires up too.

Hope that's what you wanted.

Last edited:
Ok, well here is what I have and I cannot claim to be the inventor as I will have seen it somewhere else. There may be a better way to do it too.

First set up the memory:
Menu Shoot Mode 4/14 - Reg Cust Shoot Set
Recall Custom Hold 1
Select in that menu list:
"Focus Mode" - set to "DMF"
"Focus Area" - set to "Wide"
"AF On" set to ""On" only

Then choose "Register"

Then choose a custom key (I use the "AF-On" button as it's under my thumb and I use the multi selector for the actual AF-On function anyway) and use that key to select "Recall Custom Hold 1"

Then when shooting you can focus as normal but if it's not right press and hold "AF-On" (in my case) and DMF will kick in. If you have focus peaking etc set up that fires up too.

Hope that's what you wanted.
Hi, will give it a go, thankyou

Last edited:
Probably checking to see if you were in manual mode ;) :p :ROFLMAO:
Haha I was but I had the aperture set to 2.8 because I was taking views not bloody swans, but when he started the charge I had to grab the shot, anyway he doesn't deserve a wide open portrait with that behaviour :LOL:

I put a pin in the map yesterday, decided to take the tube to Euston and spent the afternoon there and inside Euston station. After a while I noticed roadies unravelling cables and setting up a stage, actually a drum riser stage. I figured it was probably some unknown band to entertain people. They looked like they were going to be a while and I then left. Saw on bbc news this morning that it was Shakin' Stevens performing xmas songs and Kate and William were there! I wish I'd stayed now. :(

Anyway, here's some photos from yesterday. :)

This first one I used Topaz Denoise on.

Train to skate

Skateboard
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Let's both concentrate

Concentration
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

Appropriately, Tube

Tube
by Merlin 5, on Flickr

I found some neon signs behind windows in euston road promoting action on antibiotics, so I did some fishing and waited for the right person to walk into my frame. I call this

Don't waste time

Dont waste time..
by Merlin 5, on Flickr
Love the last one ☝️

Just a heads up. I received a DPD logo email a few minutes ago which says "Your parcel number xxxxxxxxxxxx. We tried to deliver your parcel today but you weren't in. Your action is required. If this item is unclaimed by the return date, then it will be returned to the sender. The first and second delivery was free of charge. To schedule a new delivery, a shipping fee must be paid. Next available delivery on 09 December." And there's a button on the email saying 'Reschedule Delivery Now'.

I've been here all morning and the doorbell never went nor is there any card through the door. Of course, I thought it was the lens being delivered but since I was waiting for royal mail to update their tracking from E-Infin, this was a little confusing.

When I clicked on the email's 'reschedule delivery now' button just to see what it would say, it just took me to a blank Google search page.

I phoned DPD and a recorded message said they're aware of a phishing email currently doing the rounds and that they would never ask anyone to pay for a redelivery. In fact, there's no address on the email from where it was sent. So if any of you get the same, ignore it.

Last edited:
Stephen, how are you getting on with your new camera? Hope you're enjoying it. Look forward to seeing some pics soon. :) (y)

And for me, finally got a new update email from Royal Mail. 'We've got it' it says. Currently at hounslow depot. Delivering the Sigma 56mm F1.4 tomorrow between 8.33am and 12.33pm. I'm glad they've specified the minutes past the half hours instead of just the half hours, I'm sure they'll be bang on time. :LOL:

Stephen, how are you getting on with your new camera? Hope you're enjoying it. Look forward to seeing some pics soon. :) (y)

And for me, finally got a new update email from Royal Mail. 'We've got it' it says. Currently at hounslow depot. Delivering the Sigma 56mm F1.4 tomorrow between 8.33am and 12.33pm. I'm glad they've specified the minutes past the half hours instead of just the half hours, I'm sure they'll be bang on time. :LOL:
Although I’ve done very little shooting with it, mainly due to the grey damp weather, I like it a lot. The only lenses I’ve tried on it are the Tamron 28-75, which seems very sharp, accurate quick focus, not too heavy but a little unbalanced due to its girth. Not surprising considering it’s an f2.8. The other is the Voigtlander 21mm f3.5. This is a delight! Beautifully made of solid metal, ultra-sharp, and very easy to find focus. Not tried the other lenses yet, but I’m already getting the feeling that the camera is more suited to smallish primes than zooms. I’ve got 2 Samyangs, which should suit it, and also a Sony 35mm f1.8.

Although I’ve done very little shooting with it, mainly due to the grey damp weather, I like it a lot. The only lenses I’ve tried on it are the Tamron 28-75, which seems very sharp, accurate quick focus, not too heavy but a little unbalanced due to its girth. Not surprising considering it’s an f2.8. The other is the Voigtlander 21mm f3.5. This is a delight! Beautifully made of solid metal, ultra-sharp, and very easy to find focus. Not tried the other lenses yet, but I’m already getting the feeling that the camera is more suited to smallish primes than zooms. I’ve got 2 Samyangs, which should suit it, and also a Sony 35mm f1.8.

Very nice. Take a photo of the Voigtlander on the A7C if you get a moment, be nice to see it. Have you had fully manual lenses before? I've not had one myself.

Very nice. Take a photo of the Voigtlander on the A7C if you get a moment, be nice to see it. Have you had fully manual lenses before? I've not had one myself.
Will do, tomorrow, if I remember. I’ve used manual lenses on all my mirrorless cameras, and of course in the olden days on film cameras.

Hope you have fun with it, I can't believe I've had my A9 a year already and now very used to being able to use it completely silently.

Speaking of adapted lenses I'm trying to get my head around how Nikon G lens can work on FE-mount, specifically the Sigma 12-24mm, the Nikon 20mm F1.8, the Nikon 70-200mm mk1 and the Tamron 150-600mm. I've found a compatibility chart and it only shows Nikon lenses so I assume the Sigma and Tamron are out (I know the Sigma isn't a great lens but would do ok for a stop gap until I see a good price on the Sony 12-24mm), the chart seems to show aperture control for the G lenses though which I thought wasn't possible. I'd appreciate any advice on how well these adapters work in practice and a good place to get one.

Nothing special but I love my new camera, keeps up with the little guy so easily.
50 f1.8 does just fine for me, see how I get on with the 50mm maybe in the future I might upgrade it. Can you believe it's my first 50mm on any system.

DSC00090~2.JPG

Nothing special but I love my new camera, keeps up with the little guy so easily.
50 f1.8 does just fine for me, see how I get on with the 50mm maybe in the future I might upgrade it. Can you believe it's my first 50mm on any system.

View attachment 301394

Sony's 50mm F1.8 is very nice optically.
I had two copies and second one I bought and sold on here was impressively sharp for a £100 lens.

Sony's 50mm F1.8 is very nice optically.
I had two copies and second one I bought and sold on here was impressively sharp for a £100 lens.

Agreed. I'm impressed with the A7C if it can make focussing with a 50 f1.8 good enough to keep up with a child.

Agreed. I'm impressed with the A7C if it can make focussing with a 50 f1.8 good enough to keep up with a child.
And that's in low light. I'm really impressed with this camera, such a jump from my A7R.

Back