The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

When I get a new lens I check it against natural light outside to make sure all is ok. When looking in the rear element this bit (circled) was glinting back at me.

Be concerned and send it back or just keep it? Brand new lens for reference.

Updated below.

any niggle with the lens then return it as that will only grow.

looking at all the reviews of the tamrons over time they seem to suck in a fair bit of dust.ive not used mine a lot so haven't checked yet

Anyone fancy organising a few meet ups this spring? It would be great to put faces to names on here. I’m sure we could think of a few ideas that could be of interest to everyone.
Would all depend where said meet ups are (y)

People still using peak designs straps? Tempted to swap out from my BR. Guessing the wider one be best when using 70-200.

Do prefer the thinner lite but not sure how comfortable it will be without the padding.

Last edited:
There's next to no chance of me getting a holiday in 2020 but I might get a few days out in June or July.

Still, it's the life I chose :D

I hope this is an ok place to post this, but!
Has anyone used an A7ii with a nikon F mount, if so what is the AF like?
And! Has anyone used the A7ii with qdslrdashboard via wifi? if so, is it reliable and lag free?

I hope this is an ok place to post this, but!
Has anyone used an A7ii with a nikon F mount, if so what is the AF like?
And! Has anyone used the A7ii with qdslrdashboard via wifi? if so, is it reliable and lag free?
AF with Nikon lenses on the latest bodies is choppy at best and A7ii is the worst of them unfortunately. F- to e-mount support isn't very good on the whole.

If you care for reliable AF your best bet is to try Z bodies or go native on Sony.

No idea about WiFi usage

Good point about face masks as I will need them too! In Japan for 3 weeks next month, can't wait woo hoo...
There was a report on TV last night about a Brit living in Wuhan he had two face masks on, a pair of swimming goggles and disposable gloves on when he went out to get food at the local supermarket.

It was a strange feeling watching a guy walk around a city of 11 million with very few people on cars on the streets.

got my sayang 18mm today.

not sure about it though.. will do some more testing before I decide if I will keep it or return it.

seems nice and sharp in the centre even at 2.8. edges are pretty bad though.
its a noisy little bugger.. af is noisy and so is changing aperture

got my sayang 18mm today.

not sure about it though.. will do some more testing before I decide if I will keep it or return it.

seems nice and sharp in the centre even at 2.8. edges are pretty bad though.
its a noisy little bugger.. af is noisy and so is changing aperture

Like to hear your thoughts on this, been considering it

Good point about face masks as I will need them too! In Japan for 3 weeks next month, can't wait woo hoo...

I bought some surgical masks last week, they are now hard to find online. Or if you can, way more expensive. It was £7 for 50, is they are like £10 for 10 per pack.

the best I can find are the ones builders use from screwfix.

when are you in Japan? I’ll be in Kyoto and Osaka for 4 days total before going to Korea.

Anybody moved up from the original A9 to the A9II?

Just looking at finally ditching Canon and moving over fully to Sony but wondered other than physical size and 10fps mechanical shutter if its worth the extra nearly 2k.

Anybody moved up from the original A9 to the A9II?

Just looking at finally ditching Canon and moving over fully to Sony but wondered other than physical size and 10fps mechanical shutter if its worth the extra nearly 2k.

I bought an A9 and not long after got an additional A9II, I then needed to purchase another one and ended up going with another A9, there wasn't enough difference for me between the two to justify the extra cost.

A9II would maybe be an advantage for a sports photographer but not for me.

Forgot to mention @Gadget-Guy there is only a £1050 difference between the two if you buy grey import.

A9II grey import is not much more expensive than an U.K A9. The grey import price on an A9 is very good as well.

https://www.e-infin.com/uk/search/a9

Last edited:
I bought some surgical masks last week, they are now hard to find online. Or if you can, way more expensive. It was £7 for 50, is they are like £10 for 10 per pack.

Face masks are probably as good as a chocolate teapot and could cause more issues than they solve. Face masks generally make people feel good but probably don't do much to stop the spread of an airborne virus.

Builder ‘dust masks’ are honestly pretty rubbish. At best they may be FFP1 and may be good enough for certain construction activities. They do stop some dust particles but aren’t really that great.

The Telegraph ran an article about face masks:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....us-do-face-masks-airport-screenings-work/amp/

There was a report on TV last night about a Brit living in Wuhan he had two face masks on, a pair of swimming goggles and disposable gloves on when he went out to get food at the local supermarket.

It was a strange feeling watching a guy walk around a city of 11 million with very few people on cars on the streets.

I have seen this interview on news, I am glad that the chap is being positive regardless of the situation and that I agree with his assessment, everyone should remain and contain until the situation is controlled.

when are you in Japan? I’ll be in Kyoto and Osaka for 4 days total before going to Korea.

Good point about the builder's type masks, I'll contact my builder to get me some masks!

17th Feb - Photo guiding for 1 week at Hokkaido
24th Feb - 1 week travelling from Sapporo, Tokyo and Mt Fuji - being tourist and getting landscape location (potential landscape photo guide expansion).
3rd Mar - 1 week based in Kyoto, travelling to Osaka and adjacent prefecture - free and easy, including cooking class, soy sauce tour, etc...

Face masks are probably as good as a chocolate teapot and could cause more issues than they solve. Face masks generally make people feel good but probably don't do much to stop the spread of an airborne virus.

Builder ‘dust masks’ are honestly pretty rubbish. At best they may be FFP1 and may be good enough for certain construction activities. They do stop some dust particles but aren’t really that great.

The Telegraph ran an article about face masks:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www....us-do-face-masks-airport-screenings-work/amp/

I read that already, but it is still better than zero.

I thought about getting a proper bio chemical grade facemask but i think that would be a tad OTT.

I have seen this interview on news, I am glad that the chap is being positive regardless of the situation and that I agree with his assessment, everyone should remain and contain until the situation is controlled.

Good point about the builder's type masks, I'll contact my builder to get me some masks!

17th Feb - Photo guiding for 1 week at Hokkaido
24th Feb - 1 week travelling from Sapporo, Tokyo and Mt Fuji - being tourist and getting landscape location (potential landscape photo guide expansion).
3rd Mar - 1 week based in Kyoto, travelling to Osaka and adjacent prefecture - free and easy, including cooking class, soy sauce tour, etc...

Ah, you get to Japan when I leave for Seoul !

Back