The Amazing Sony A1/A7/A9/APS-C & Anything else welcome Mega Thread!

jeez, I can’t see why anyone would use a single card slot camera in a professional manner
I have to agree, I remember when I did a wedding with the Sony A7R II's..... I was changing SD cards every hour to cover myself if I had a failed SD card.
With my Fuji X100V, it just sends a copy of the images to my iPhone when I turn it off.

No 500mm prime on Sony e-mount

Well, actually, Sony made that easy. With AF, too:

https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/sony-500mm-f8-reflex-lens-with-autofocus-£150.708051/

dscf7908-jpg.270777

@rookies
made a shopping list for you chap... to feed that GAS ;)

FE 24mm f1.4 GM
FE 85mm f1.4 GM
FE 135mm f1.8 GM
FE 100-400 GM

Canon Pixma Pro 10S

:D

not sure someone using a canon 500mm f4 would really see this as equivalent ;)

Well, he wanted lightness, and I'd imagine that monster Canon weighs 4kg! The Sony is 700g. Fast+spendy or light+affordable, take your pick! :cool:

There's an A7RIV review on Admiring Light...

https://admiringlight.com/blog/review-sony-a7r-iv/

Here's the conclusion for those who can't wait...

"The overall quality of the A7R IV is outstanding. The camera has improved on many of the ergonomic concerns of earlier bodies, though they haven’t yet reached perfection. The autofocus system is excelelnt , and trails only the A9 and A9 II among mirrorless cameras. The real-time Eye AF allows you to simply focus on composition, knowing that the final image will be in focus. Sony has also improved the EVF, fixed a few things like ensuring both card slots are UHS-II and somehow keeping the fast burst speed despite enormous RAW files.

But the headline feature of the A7R IV is the incredible detail, high dynamic range and fantastic overall image quality from the new 60 megapixel sensor. Not everyone has a need for a 60 megapixel camera, but boy is it nice to have when you need it. While the majority of shooters will be well served by the standard A7 line, whether it be the current A7 III or the sure to be upcoming A7 IV, the A7R IV fills a niche for those who demand the absolute best in image quality, but don’t want to step into the world of medium-format digital. For those shooters, the A7R IV offers a fully featured body that is as capable for shooting events, sports, wildlife or portraiture as it is on a tripod shooting landscapes. The A7R IV is truly a flagship camera, and it’s worth every penny of its $3,500 price."

That's nice :D

There's an A7RIV review on Admiring Light...

https://admiringlight.com/blog/review-sony-a7r-iv/

Here's the conclusion for those who can't wait...

"The overall quality of the A7R IV is outstanding. The camera has improved on many of the ergonomic concerns of earlier bodies, though they haven’t yet reached perfection. The autofocus system is excelelnt , and trails only the A9 and A9 II among mirrorless cameras. The real-time Eye AF allows you to simply focus on composition, knowing that the final image will be in focus. Sony has also improved the EVF, fixed a few things like ensuring both card slots are UHS-II and somehow keeping the fast burst speed despite enormous RAW files.

But the headline feature of the A7R IV is the incredible detail, high dynamic range and fantastic overall image quality from the new 60 megapixel sensor. Not everyone has a need for a 60 megapixel camera, but boy is it nice to have when you need it. While the majority of shooters will be well served by the standard A7 line, whether it be the current A7 III or the sure to be upcoming A7 IV, the A7R IV fills a niche for those who demand the absolute best in image quality, but don’t want to step into the world of medium-format digital. For those shooters, the A7R IV offers a fully featured body that is as capable for shooting events, sports, wildlife or portraiture as it is on a tripod shooting landscapes. The A7R IV is truly a flagship camera, and it’s worth every penny of its $3,500 price."

That's nice :D
Are you getting one? :D

haha.

For what I want the A7 does just fine but the main problem is that these days I have so little free time. We went to Mount Grace Priory the other day which is about half an hours drive away but the light was flat and dead and the only pictures I took were really just record shots to send to Mrs WW's family then I got a phone call calling me back. The way things are going my little hobby is just withering away and I can see myself only using a camera when I go on holiday, so that's maybe once every two years.

So no. An A7RIV wont help with any of that.

haha.

For what I want the A7 does just fine but the main problem is that these days I have so little free time. We went to Mount Grace Priory the other day which is about half an hours drive away but the light was flat and dead and the only pictures I took were really just record shots to send to Mrs WW's family then I got a phone call calling me back. The way things are going my little hobby is just withering away and I can see myself only using a camera when I go on holiday, so that's maybe once every two years.

So no. An A7RIV wont help with any of that.
I have the same issue, not enough time..... feel a lot better for not having the Sony gear though and just having the little Fooj :D

Hi, I'm looking for a remote control for a A7iii; any recommendations? Mainly to remote trigger for macro / astro / landscape stuff.

Have you considered using the Android / Apple smartphone app?

I’ve looked into it, but the I can’t get the app to work. Is there a guide you can recommend?

I recently bought the Sony RMT-DSLR2 on amazon, about £20, works well.

Good to know that works with the a7; is it IR or Bluetooth? I don’t mind wired to be honest as I’m not going to be far from the camera

2 votes for the Sony remote.

I forgot the app had changed to the imaging edge one, so I’ve got that working ok. Is there a way to focus and not take a shot?

You dropped what £3500 or so on a camera body? Seems odd to be concerned about a couple of hundred quid of difference on some lenses.

Especially when the camera body you purchased is so demanding from glass. It doesn’t make any sense to use a good camera with crap glass.

If budget was a concern you would have been better of with a cheaper body and better glass.

I bought the A9 for the FPS and silent shooting. There isn’t any other camera that comes close to that budget or not.

Granted I use the 70-200 2.8 as my non budget lens but I’m quite happy to stick cheap glass on when all I am taking is photos for my own collection, landscapes, snap shots, holiday shots etc as I don’t need the best glass for that.

I've just had a very strange experience...

We were sat watching TV when she said something that sounded like "Yes, my Precious..." and vanished before my eyes!

MyI1E8F.jpg

I hope she comes back soon, it's tea time.

Oh, A7 and Voigtlander 35mm f1.4.

Last edited:
I bought the A9 for the FPS and silent shooting. There isn’t any other camera that comes close to that budget or not.

Granted I use the 70-200 2.8 as my non budget lens but I’m quite happy to stick cheap glass on when all I am taking is photos for my own collection, landscapes, snap shots, holiday shots etc as I don’t need the best glass for that.

Olympus come close at 18 fps .
Rob.

I have a Samyang 45 f/1.8 I use for everyday things. Most people will have the odd cheapo lens, but the point I was making was that it doesn't make sense to me to buy a high end body then build a system from cheapo glass as you simply won't get the best results from the body. Personally I would much rather have a more basic body and better glass than the other way around.

Everyone's needs are different, when I go out to take a few photos of my kids I usually use a 135GM.

For holiday's I will mainly use my phone unless it's a dedicated photo trip.

I have a Samyang 45 f/1.8 I use for everyday things. Most people will have the odd cheapo lens, but the point I was making was that it doesn't make sense to me to buy a high end body then build a system from cheapo glass as you simply won't get the best results from the body. Personally I would much rather have a more basic body and better glass than the other way around.

Everyone's needs are different, when I go out to take a few photos of my kids I usually use a 135GM.

For holiday's I will mainly use my phone unless it's a dedicated photo trip.

yeah I guess I know what you mean. I wouldn’t use a 70-300 or an 18-300 or what ever it is for my equestrian stuff.

how is the 45mm?

yeah I guess I know what you mean. I wouldn’t use a 70-300 or an 18-300 or what ever it is for my equestrian stuff.

how is the 45mm?

It’s okay, I like the rendering. I had some issues with the first one I bought. These are known for having iffy a.f unless they are on the latest firmware. I upgraded the firmware on the first one but the a.f was all over the place and it was really noisy when focusing. There was also a few big lumps of dust inside it so I sent it back.

This copy is a lot better with the latest firmware, the a.f isn’t as noisy and is more reliable. It does struggle a bit in low light and it’s no where near as fast as the Sony 35 or the 55 but it’s probably the best Samyang lens I have tried so far.

I actually quite like it.

Not really a valid argument for m4/3 or no one would use FF.
Well i don't argue but discuss i use the a9mkII for the best af the a7r4 for best detail and the em1x if i want light weight with a long lens, Iq is not far off with any once you use a noise program
all are imho great cameras BUT if you had to get the shot like lightning or a bird taking off the EM1X would win because it has pro capture so each has plus points to me.
Rob.

Has anyone in here used the Sony tough memory cards?

Was going to buy a couple there but noticed on Amazon a couple of people saying thery where a really tight fit and they where concerned about them damaging the camera.

Back