The Art to Dreamy Photos - Post Processing

Edit My Images
No
Ive recently taken a huge liking to very dreamy looking photos, soft light and colours. I currently use Lightroom and just wondering does anyone have any good tips to process this sort of imagery? I thought it may be presets such as in colour eFex Pro.

I have been experimenting with the clarity slider and like the effect it gives with it set to around -20/30 but was wondering how this effects the sharpness of the image?

I have also started applying vignetting to soften the overall photo which seems to help.

Any tips/advice would be great!

While this isn't a look I particularly like, there are a number of LR presets around that do this. It might be worth looking around for some free ones and looking at what different controls they have altered - will give you a starting point. Not sure what they are like, but the first link I found on Google for free dreamy presets was this one - no doubt there will be others :)

[New here, but as this is the post-processing forum I'm going to assume that all the factors that would contribute to a 'dreamy-looking' photo in-camera (shallow DOF, diffuse lighting, etc.) are a given and to be discussed elsewhere?]

The clarity adjustment is a reasonable place to start - this affects microcontrast (think contrast across edges) rather like a wide-radius unsharp mask. If negative clarity helps towards the effect you want then great, but can/will affect perceived sharpness too. That may or may not matter to you if its doing the right thing. Personally I would stick to subtle alterations with the clarity slider but its your judgement call.

A soft look can also come from altering global contrast, particularly focusing on the shadows and blacks. This something fairly common to many of these VSCO/film-emulation presets. Not a hard rule, but 'dreamy' images would tend not to have strong darks that hit the absolute 'black point', instead having a softer, lower-contrast look.

A starting point would be to raise the black point on the curves module. You can click the little button to the right to edit the curve points; drag the bottom-left corner point up slightly along the Y-axis until you're happy with the black point. Play about and see what works and what doesn't.

Lastly, you might want to try split-toning to the highlights. With this you basically selectively apply a tint, which can be used quite subtly and in this situation could be used to help to tie together the colours of an image and give a sort of coherent 'glow' to the colour.

Hope that helps, I'm sure you'll get lots of other suggestions too

Last edited:
Google 'Orton Effect'. That may give you what you're after.

I think that might be exactly what I'm after. I don't use photoshop but will have a little place with this technique - it looks quite simple and like the way it softens forest and woodland scenes.

[New here, but as this is the post-processing forum I'm going to assume that all the factors that would contribute to a 'dreamy-looking' photo in-camera (shallow DOF, diffuse lighting, etc.) are a given and to be discussed elsewhere?]

The clarity adjustment is a reasonable place to start - this affects microcontrast (think contrast across edges) rather like a wide-radius unsharp mask. If negative clarity helps towards the effect you want then great, but can/will affect perceived sharpness too. That may or may not matter to you if its doing the right thing. Personally I would stick to subtle alterations with the clarity slider but its your judgement call.

A soft look can also come from altering global contrast, particularly focusing on the shadows and blacks. This something fairly common to many of these VSCO/film-emulation presets. Not a hard rule, but 'dreamy' images would tend not to have strong darks that hit the absolute 'black point', instead having a softer, lower-contrast look.

A starting point would be to raise the black point on the curves module. You can click the little button to the right to edit the curve points; drag the bottom-left corner point up slightly along the Y-axis until you're happy with the black point. Play about and see what works and what doesn't.

Lastly, you might want to try split-toning to the highlights. With this you basically selectively apply a tint, which can be used quite subtly and in this situation could be used to help to tie together the colours of an image and give a sort of coherent 'glow' to the colour.

Hope that helps, I'm sure you'll get lots of other suggestions too

Great advice buddy! Really appreciate your helpful post :)

While this isn't a look I particularly like, there are a number of LR presets around that do this. It might be worth looking around for some free ones and looking at what different controls they have altered - will give you a starting point. Not sure what they are like, but the first link I found on Google for free dreamy presets was this one - no doubt there will be others :)

Thanks very much for that will take a look! :)

You can do this with layers.

I don't have PhotShop or lightroom etc but in my editing program I have layers and I first turn down the contrast and colour saturation then make a duplicate layer.

The I use Gaussian Blur to blur it.

Then I usually use the Hard Light option or Soft Light which can produce a nice dreamy effect when properly done.

Finally Merge the layers and edit as needed.

If you haven't done it before practice is needed and some subjects may not be suitable.

Hi Peter, thanks for that, I'm assuming that is the "Orton effect" again. I do like the effect it gives, softens the whole overall image without losing sharpness.

I only really plan to use it for woodland and forest scenes - i feel it works well here.

Im not too familiar with photoshop as i tend to avoid large amounts of processing but i will give it a shot and report how it goes.

Check this tutorial out, it works a treat with the images I've tried it on.

Hi Peter, thanks for that, I'm assuming that is the "Orton effect" again.

Not completely - the "Orton Effect" is achieved mainly by using the diffused layer on "Normal" and then using the sliders to apply a small amount of blur.

The technique I described can give quite different results.

Last edited:
Back