The Benbo Tripod Saga..

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
No
Well I got around to unpacking the Benbo Trekker Mk3 today and I have to say I'm very, very impressed. But, before I launch into it's pros and cons, let me just say I can't understand those comments I've heard suggesting it's like "wrestling with an octopus" etc.

Those people who saw my other post will know that I now have TWO Benbo tripods. The Mk3, brand new, and a Number 1 which I picked up from a sale on Saturday. There is a world of difference between the two, the main thing being the weight. But, intrinsically, they are both the same and such a clever idea. Now my lenses can boldly go where no lens has been before..!!

I'm of a mind to say that the only thing, thus far, that will require a 'learning curve' will be being careful not to over-tighten the lock-up. Certainly the No1 will take a bit of Oooomph but not so the Mk3 I think. It's going to be a lot of fun learning and using them both. I have decided that the No1 will get all the 'dirty' jobs. I live right by the sea (300m as the crow flies) and I love getting on the beach and in rock pools for a look-see. Those tree trunk like legs of the No1 will be the perfect accompaniment on a 'photo mission'. There was / is a Benbo ball head fitted to the No1, quite a substantial bit of kit too. 50mm across the base and God knows how much it weighs..!!, and I have a nice Smallrig ball head on the Mk3.

So I go into a new week all tripodded up, social distancing has ended here on the Isle of Man... and the pubs open up fully from Thursday..!! I wont be taking any photos on Friday..:pint::beer:

I think I might just make up a sticker for the Benbo's.. How about MARMITE. Well, it seems people either love 'em or hate 'em. :exit:

I'm of a mind to say that the only thing, thus far, that will require a 'learning curve' will be being careful not to over-tighten the lock-up.

I think you may find that the most important is not to untighten the lock-up without supporting the camera ... when it's loosened it's a free-for-all unsupported!

I used Benbo's (v1 and Trekker) for many years and found them very easy to use once you get familiasr with them. Put me down in the "love em" camp. I wondered why they couldn't do a carbon fibre version to reduce the weight.

I used to carry mine in a rucsac and several times people thought I was carrying bagpipes!

I used Benbo's (v1 and Trekker) for many years and found them very easy to use once you get familiasr with them. Put me down in the "love em" camp. I wondered why they couldn't do a carbon fibre version to reduce the weight.

I used to carry mine in a rucsac and several times people thought I was carrying bagpipes!

It's a shame that the Benbo 'bent-bolt' design just hasn't caught on. Once you get over your initial skepticism, it takes only a few seconds to see the advantages and within a couple of minutes it's fast and easy. The trouble is, most people have never even seen a Benbo, let alone tried one.

I also wish a major manufacturer would get hold of it and invest some R&D to make it lighter and less clunky. I suspect one of the big brands like Gitzo/Manfrotto must have done exactly that over the years, but whatever they came up with has never seen the light of day. I have a Gitzo Explorer which has some similarities to Benbo, but even that got discontinued a couple of years ago when Gitzo rationalised their large and somewhat confusing range. I asked them why the Explorer got the chop and was told quite a few insiders regretted it, but it simply didn't sell :(

It's a shame that the Benbo 'bent-bolt' design just hasn't caught on.
It's pretty popular judging by the number of other photographers I've seen using them over the years. I've got an original standard, the lightweight Uniloc version and a monopod. All well made and they last indefinitely regardless of how I abuse them.

Benbo Tripod in use HX90 DSC00704.JPG

It's a shame that the Benbo 'bent-bolt' design just hasn't caught on. Once you get over your initial skepticism, it takes only a few seconds to see the advantages and within a couple of minutes it's fast and easy. The trouble is, most people have never even seen a Benbo, let alone tried one.

I also wish a major manufacturer would get hold of it and invest some R&D to make it lighter and less clunky. I suspect one of the big brands like Gitzo/Manfrotto must have done exactly that over the years, but whatever they came up with has never seen the light of day. I have a Gitzo Explorer which has some similarities to Benbo, but even that got discontinued a couple of years ago when Gitzo rationalised their large and somewhat confusing range. I asked them why the Explorer got the chop and was told quite a few insiders regretted it, but it simply didn't sell :(

A friend of mine, from way back, designed a set of cycle gears that were 'automatic'. Based on a weight, attached to the spokes, the faster you went the further out the weight travelled pulling a wire fitted to the gear cogs, or something. Far too complicated for me to explain fully, but his design was 'bought' by a large cycle gear maker.. and you don't see them for sale..!!

but his design was 'bought' by a large cycle gear maker.. and you don't see them for sale..!!
That's not uncommon. People within a company get excited by a new idea but when they hand it to the production engineers, the snags emerge and the project is just written off. Sometimes they see how it could be made to show a profit by a competitor, so they just hang on to it until the patents run out. That's nothing like as common as it just not being such a good idea as it looked to begin with, so they can't sell it on.

That's not uncommon. People within a company get excited by a new idea but when they hand it to the production engineers, the snags emerge and the project is just written off. Sometimes they see how it could be made to show a profit by a competitor, so they just hang on to it until the patents run out. That's nothing like as common as it just not being such a good idea as it looked to begin with, so they can't sell it on.

I understand what you're saying but he actually made at least four of these 'auto-geared' cycles. Never got to try one out, but I did see them being ridden.

Another addition to the 'love-em' Camp.
I bought mine some 25yrs ago, and apart from 2 macro flash tripods, it has been the only one I have used.

Another addition to the 'love-em' Camp.
I bought mine some 25yrs ago, and apart from 2 macro flash tripods, it has been the only one I have used.

What heads do you use on yours?

What heads do you use on yours?
I use Manfrotto heads. The standard Benbo is fitted with a geared head while the Uniloc and the monopod have ball heads...

Manfrotto geared head GX7 P1140498.JPG

Manfrotto ball heads GX7 P1140499.JPG

Back