The Big Cat Sanctuary Open Day

Name
Steve France
Edit My Images
Yes
I guess I was just lucky to be on holiday in Kent the week The Big Cat Sanctuary had its open day. Got there early but it was packed so really hard to get any good shots.
This was the best IMHO trying to get a shot without the dreaded cage wire !

PS I met Alma Leaper the head of photography workshops - a course is now on my wish list .......

29-07-2022 Panthera Onca - Jaguar.jpg

Very nice Steve :)
The second one takes it :)

You should be able to clean up the second one easily with the clone brush Steve. The first one might be tricky, but I'm no expert at it - in fact, I'm crap. :rolleyes:

Those cage wires are a real PITA aren't they. Why don't they fit 'windows' so we can get a better shot huh? ;)

You should be able to clean up the second one easily with the clone brush Steve. The first one might be tricky, but I'm no expert at it - in fact, I'm crap. :rolleyes:

Those cage wires are a real PITA aren't they. Why don't they fit 'windows' so we can get a better shot huh? ;)
They did have some glass panels but people had put paw marks all over and it was so busy getting close was a challenge, did get this one by chance.... but you can see the noise from the greasy paw prints on the glass. A photograph course would be better !!!!

29-07-2022 Panthera Onca - Jaguar Black.jpg

They did have some glass panels but people had put paw marks all over and it
As they do :rolleyes:

I hope you don't mind, but a levels tweak and a usm sharpen takes out most of the dross.

edited-steve.jpg

I've done 2 visits there, one was with TP members, the other a pressie for my Mrs as she loves big cats. The photo days are good because there's less of you and it's all about pictures, but if I recall, it got very expensive.

Nice pair of shots. Like it or not, wires tend to be a fact of life at zoos, with a few exceptions where there's a moat instead, although even there, there are usually fences in the background.

A few years ago, we went to Paignton Zoo where there are a couple of big glass windows. As you say, these tend to get smeared with hand prints which make shooting through the glass as difficult as through fences but on this occasion, there was a chap cleaning the glass. Problem was the massive paw prints on the other side! When some wag "complained" about the prints, the cleaner just held the spray and cloth out and invited the wag to go in and clean them off!

Nice pair of shots. Like it or not, wires tend to be a fact of life at zoos, with a few exceptions where there's a moat instead, although even there, there are usually fences in the background.

A few years ago, we went to Paignton Zoo where there are a couple of big glass windows. As you say, these tend to get smeared with hand prints which make shooting through the glass as difficult as through fences but on this occasion, there was a chap cleaning the glass. Problem was the massive paw prints on the other side! When some wag "complained" about the prints, the cleaner just held the spray and cloth out and invited the wag to go in and clean them off!

There were a few I would have gladly let inside the enclosure, especially the lady who persistently banged the glass because the animal was not looking at her iPhone !

The biggest issue with the Glass was the sheer number of people crowded around, if I could have got close enough, I would have cleaned a small area to rest my lens hood on the glass !

I could not get a decent shot of the big male Lion due to the crowds being 10 deep !

PS Now saving for a Photographic Day (with 5 friends to kept costs down) to enjoy some quality opportunities for better images.....

PSPS If I win the lottery I will even stay in one of the onsite 'Safari' Lodges !!!!!

Back