The Bigger Picture - Making The Move From 400D Crop, to 5D MkI Full Frame!

Name
April 2008
Edit My Images
No
I'm not sure if this thread will be of interest to anyone, but as a relative newbie making the leap from basic budget DSLR to something a whole lot more professional, and from crop sensor to full frame, it might offer something to someone out there.

As for why I've made this move, I guess the answer is because I could, and because I wanted to. I don't really go in for wildlife, or sports, and much prefer the slower more leisurely approach that is suited to landscapes. Canon 5D MkI's were becoming available as people upgraded to the MkII, and despite concerns that neither my lenses or budget might not be upto the job, I realised that selling off a couple of 'incompatible' or 'lesser used' lenses would fund my first 'L' and give me some great kit to develop my main area of interest. So, one red ring and a few notes later (ouch, that sounds like I sold my soul under the railway bridge!) I find myself going into 2009 with no excuses for blaming the kit if my images don't live up to expectations.

First thoughts after unpacking the 5D are just how damned big this thing is! It's huge! I've always made a point of commenting on how the teeny 400D never felt too small for my large hands, and that it was only really the balance when adding a larger lens that suffered. Approach the 5D as a nervous newcomer, and it feels very large in the hand. But relax, let the camera rest in your grip, and it fits like the proverbial glove. The curves and angles of the grip just... well... just nestle perfectly in your grasp. Not sure whether the larger sensor means a bigger body, or whether a 40/50D would be similar size. It's great though and superbly balanced with the 24-70 attached!

The next thing I've noticed is that despite the fact I always thought I was quite inept with my camera, it seems I really did know the 400D rather well. Everything is now in a different place! Buttons that did one thing, now do something else! I didn't think I'd need to read the manual... but after spending some 10-15 mins trying to work out how to adjust the exposure compensation, I had to put down the camera and pick up the dreaded manual. It's like taking a step back six months! :(

At the moment, I've only managed to find an hour or so last night to 'play', so don't have too much to report, but will hopefully post more after the weekend. And hopefully some images too!

To Be Continued...

I'll look forward to the continuation. I still love my 5D :)

All the best with it Lee, sure you'll have a ball.

The 40D, physically, is almost identical to the 5D, a lovely size IMO.

Now get my lens posted! :D

Everything is now in a different place! Buttons that did one thing, now do something else! I didn't think I'd need to read the manual... but after spending some 10-15 mins trying to work out how to adjust the exposure compensation, I had to put down the camera and pick up the dreaded manual. It's like taking a step back six months! :(

It was like that for me when upgraded from the 40D.

How do people manage when they skip from model to model or make to make? Or perhaps have one C and one N and perhaps an S as well.....:thinking:

looking forward to seeing some pics and more info as I have always wondered about making this step.

Looks like we both made a similar move recently although I was starting from a 40D so the size difference wasn't as great, but it feels slightly thicker.

I have noticed and noted a number of difference from old-grading from 40D to 5D, but I've been shooting in low-light indoors at 1600 ISO with a 50mm f/1.4 and 24-70L and it's been absolutely fantastic.

I haven't been out to shoot any landscapes yet, but it's definitely on my list of things to do.

I have noticed and noted a number of difference from old-grading from 40D to 5D, but I've been shooting in low-light indoors at 1600 ISO with a 50mm f/1.4 and 24-70L and it's been absolutely fantastic.

Just had a look at your blog... interesting, though a lot of the points you mention don't apply to me as a 400D convert. I didn't have auto ISO, or live view, etc.

How are you finding the 50 1.4 ?? I was thinking of one for inside low light, but read that it's a bit soft and really needs rebadging as a 50 2.x

I'm not sure if this thread will be of interest to anyone, but as a relative newbie making the leap from basic budget DSLR to something a whole lot more professional, and from crop sensor to full frame, it might offer something to someone out there.

As for why I've made this move, I guess the answer is because I could, and because I wanted to. I don't really go in for wildlife, or sports, and much prefer the slower more leisurely approach that is suited to landscapes. Canon 5D MkI's were becoming available as people upgraded to the MkII, and despite concerns that neither my lenses or budget might not be upto the job, I realised that selling off a couple of 'incompatible' or 'lesser used' lenses would fund my first 'L' and give me some great kit to develop my main area of interest. So, one red ring and a few notes later (ouch, that sounds like I sold my soul under the railway bridge!) I find myself going into 2009 with no excuses for blaming the kit if my images don't live up to expectations.

First thoughts after unpacking the 5D are just how damned big this thing is! It's huge! I've always made a point of commenting on how the teeny 400D never felt too small for my large hands, and that it was only really the balance when adding a larger lens that suffered. Approach the 5D as a nervous newcomer, and it feels very large in the hand. But relax, let the camera rest in your grip, and it fits like the proverbial glove. The curves and angles of the grip just... well... just nestle perfectly in your grasp. Not sure whether the larger sensor means a bigger body, or whether a 40/50D would be similar size. It's great though and superbly balanced with the 24-70 attached!

The next thing I've noticed is that despite the fact I always thought I was quite inept with my camera, it seems I really did know the 400D rather well. Everything is now in a different place! Buttons that did one thing, now do something else! I didn't think I'd need to read the manual... but after spending some 10-15 mins trying to work out how to adjust the exposure compensation, I had to put down the camera and pick up the dreaded manual. It's like taking a step back six months! :(

At the moment, I've only managed to find an hour or so last night to 'play', so don't have too much to report, but will hopefully post more after the weekend. And hopefully some images too!

To Be Continued...

I went the exact same path as you :) I really love the 5D mkII and what it offers me, although I am contemplating keeping my 400D body as a fallback.

Just had a look at your blog... interesting, though a lot of the points you mention don't apply to me as a 400D convert. I didn't have auto ISO, or live view, etc.

How are you finding the 50 1.4 ?? I was thinking of one for inside low light, but read that it's a bit soft and really needs rebadging as a 50 2.x

I've really enjoyed using it, but I've not been below ISO 800 indoors and rarely above 1/100s. So when the noise is factored in with very shallow depth of field, moving subjects and varying technique the images aren't going to appear razor sharp anyway (at least not with my technique!;)).

Sharpness-wise, I believe the Sigma f/1.4 is better and pixel peeping at static test shots does show that to be the case, but for the money, I believe the Canon f/1.4 is a good buy. If you don't mind paying a bit extra then the Sigma certainly warrants consideration, from what I've seen.

This is a side plate shot from about a metre away using the Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 on a 5D. Very shallow DoF!

ISO 1600, f/1.4, 1/60s
f98c0a61.jpg

100% crop
fc2dd31b.jpg

Ok, I've found a major hate with the 5D! Went out yesterday morning, first time in ages. Had a quick look at the pics today and thought "hmm, bit grainy, quality is a bit duff". Then I realised! Been on ISO 800 all morning! Arghhhh! The display doesnt show the current ISO setting! I need a bloody great post-it stuck on the back of the camera reminding me to check the iso before shooting! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

I am so annoyed! It's the first time I've been out since before christmas, and I've f****d it up! :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

effin crock of ***** camera!

Interesting - I would have thought ISO 800 would have been fine with this camera. That's what I've been shooting on all day and my shots haven't been noticeably or detrimentally grainy at all.

Make yourself a check list before each outing:D

Surely for an FF camera 'grainy' and 'ISO 800' isn't something that should be together in a sentence :p Or were you looking at your images with a microscope and being a bit picky about it?

I shot a wedding with mine on the 28th and I was hardly below 800 ISO all day! Looked fine to me too and that's blown up album size.

I have to admit that going from the 20D to the 5D and then adding a 1DsII I have now developed a little mental checklist for when I pick up a camera.

The first thing I do is I always leave them on the same settings ISO goes back to 100, switch to Av which is my own default. Auto WB, single shot, EV metering and focus off Servo.

Then anytime I use one of them I run through the shooting conditions in terms of
1. ISO
2. Av,Tv or manual.
3. WB
4. Metering.
5. Focus. (autofocus mode)
6. Any custom functions I want to use such as flash techniques.

That usually keeps me right but initially I also needed a post it with ISO in big letters on it. :) You will soon get used to it.

I guess it's something to get used to. Remember that a quick press of the ISO button will display the current setting in the viewfinder.

I've found the 5D's ISO800 to be quite nice. Got some cracking shots over Christmas. :shrug:

All the shots I took at the Gaza protest yesterday were shot at ISO 800 and they are fantastic. Also, the camera does show the current ISO setting on the top display.

All the shots I took at the Gaza protest yesterday were shot at ISO 800 and they are fantastic. Also, the camera does show the current ISO setting on the top display.

Perhaps that's because you're shooting with the 5D MK2 whilst we're shooting with the original 5D ;)

when i upgraded from the 400d to the 50D the noise control was really good comparitvely - im sure you are finding that absolutley brilliant!
i stil lhave the broblems with the buttons in the wrong places. One thing that i liked on the 400d was the position of the power switch which is a natural placing as my finger almost always rested near it. The switch on the 50D and the 5D is just not natural. (maybe that being used to it from a fuji bridge and the 400D)

I'm in almost the same boat as you!

went from a 400D just before Christmas to a 5D Mark II.
I have to say now looking back at my 400D... I just don't know how I got what I did, and that the size, feel... the 5D is just in a different league, and I'm loving every second! :)

Back