The Bochlwyd Horseshoe

Name
Julian
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a fab day yesterday completing the Bochlwyd Horseshoe. For those that don't know, this is a classic route in Snowdonia, incorporating the exhilarating ridge scrambles of Tryfan's north ridge and Glyder Fach's Bristly ridge in ascent and Y Gribin in descent. Despite going for the walking and day out, I had space to squeeze my camera into my rucksac and managed a few shots in between patches of cloud. C&C welcome, ta.

1. Looking across to Y Garn from Tryfan
3757732586_fda14cae17_o.jpg

2. Tryfan & Bristly ridge from Y Gribin
3757733262_1d6e653741_o.jpg

Def #1 for me, i really like all the patches of light accross the landscape. As was said in the above comment a mono shot of this would work well.

Thanks for the comments. Unfortunately, try as I might I simply cannot get excited about mono landscapes. Part of the appeal for me is the colour.

I think these have loads of potential, you were just a bit unlucky with the light! They both look a little dark, have you tried brightening them up a bit? The second one might be a bit too dark to rescue without bringing in a bit of noise, and I'm not so keen on the composition (I would have liked a bit less foreground!)

I think you should keep playing with the first, I'm terrible at processing landscape shots, but if you can pull a bit more colour out, and brighten the land up a little, I think you'll be on to a great shot!

Chris

First off, great place to take landscapes, I love Snowdonia.

The first is my favorite, but I too think they would look better mono, but I think almost all landscapes are better mono, My taste has probably been severely skewed by looking at too much Ansel Adams at college.

I think that the shady mountain side is a bit of a problem, and the patchy cloud stops you burning it in. You could probably try it on the second shot though.

I had a little bit of a play, but my editing skills are severely limited! Just a few tweaks really, this is what I'd do:

3757732586fda14cae17oe.jpg

Just played about with the colours a bit, tried to bring out the blues a little more, played with contrast and tried to lighten up the shadow a little with the dodge tool. Not great, but you sort of get the idea!

I had a little bit of a play, but my editing skills are severely limited! Just a few tweaks really, this is what I'd do:

Just played about with the colours a bit, tried to bring out the blues a little more, played with contrast and tried to lighten up the shadow a little with the dodge tool. Not great, but you sort of get the idea!

It's not the most subtle of edits, but i prefer it to the original. It's more dynamic and not as washed out. Shame about all the cloud shadows and whilst i dont much care for mono landscapes i think in this case it would be an improvement over the original.

I still i prefer the edit to a mono version though.

Unfortunately, try as I might I simply cannot get excited about mono landscapes. Part of the appeal for me is the colour.

(y)

First one for me - in colour! Maybe with a little less of the shaded area to the left. Could you turn the camera 5 degrees to the right? Pah! Can't photogimpshop even do that :shrug:

Back