Beginner The Bohemian Rhapsody look?

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Hi folks,
I'm very inexperienced when it comes to using lighting, but a friend has asked me if I could take a family photo similar to the style of the Bohemian Rhaposdy photo as shown in the link below.

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/entries/icons/original/000/009/969/queenborap.jpg

There would be 4 people in the shot.

I have an EX-600-RT, but no trigger, so it would be need to be on camera, if it's even required (5D3). I've recently been been given a couple of constant lights with soft-boxes, nothing fancy, but they're rated at 5500K. It would need to be doable in a standard household, so no studio.

Any suggestions as to how I might achieve something similar with the gear that I currently have?

It looks to me that its lit from low level. All the members are wearing black, so just the faces got lit. Would still need make sure not to much light spill otherwise the black clothes would still show up.
Im sure someone else will shine some light on it.
It also might be possible to light paint it but then they would have to stand quite still.

I always figured each band member was photographed separately with a snoot of sorts onto their face and then it was pieced together in the darkroom to produce the finished shot. Pre Photoshop, obviously.

If you look at the shadows under the noses it appears to be a single shot with a directional light from above and in front of them. That would not be possible with the flash on the camera.

Hi Andy
That is a photo I have wanted to do before now but never had the self confidence to try on other people.
I did do a selfie in our house but never took it any further.

Queen Extravaganza
by seegarysphotos, on Flickr

As Brian says, hard light (ie small lightsource, not softbox) from above. Quite high above too, so inverse square law fall-off doesn't make the faces unevenly exposed. Could be something like a theatrical spot light for the original shot, and I'd take a guess that it was done in one take.

Either studio flash with a modelling light or continuous light, so you can see exactly what's happening. Position of the heads is very critical - move an inch either way and the shadows won't work.

I'd try a bare light, perhaps. A standard bare light bulb; a strobe with a wide umbrella reflector or left bare; or a speedlite set to wide zoom and diffuser down or with a stoffen cover. If you find your space isn't big enough use a grid to stop lighting bouncing back in off side walls and the ceiling.

If the light is too high, you won't light the cheeks and too low and you won't light the hair. I'd start off with it plumb centre and raise it until you have those dark eyes.

The light is going to be passing them quite flatly, so you may need them to be a good distance from the background to keep it black.

Edit: It's a grid on a light with the grid at a downward angle to keep the light from spilling on the backdrop.

You might also get some ideas from the lighting in this. The Strobist info explaining how it was lit is below the photo. The main thing here is that my high softbox is feathered with a grid to keep the light off the background.

Promo shot for short film by JennyGW-Photography, on Flickr

Last edited:
Jenny, that doesn't really make much sense and is somewhat contradictory.

As Brian says, hard light (ie small lightsource, not softbox) from above. Quite high above too, so inverse square law fall-off doesn't make the faces unevenly exposed. Could be something like a theatrical spot light for the original shot, and I'd take a guess that it was done in one take.

Either studio flash with a modelling light or continuous light, so you can see exactly what's happening. Position of the heads is very critical - move an inch either way and the shadows won't work.
This is the correct and definitive answer.

Isn't it wonderful that we don't all think the same in this highly subjective craft of ours! :)
Except the direction of light isn't subjective, it has this annoying tendency to go in straight lines...

I'd try a bare light, perhaps. A standard bare light bulb; a strobe with a wide umbrella reflector or left bare; or a speedlite set to wide zoom and diffuser down or with a stoffen cover. If you find your space isn't big enough use a grid to stop lighting bouncing back in off side walls and the ceiling.

If the light is too high, you won't light the cheeks and too low and you won't light the hair. I'd start off with it plumb centre and raise it until you have those dark eyes.

The light is going to be passing them quite flatly, so you may need them to be a good distance from the background to keep it black.

Edit: It's a grid on a light with the grid at a downward angle to keep the light from spilling on the backdrop.

You might also get some ideas from the lighting in this. The Strobist info explaining how it was lit is below the photo. The main thing here is that my high softbox is feathered with a grid to keep the light off the background.

Promo shot for short film by JennyGW-Photography, on Flickr
Hi

Not really seeing the Bohemian Rhapsody look in that pic.

Also I've re read your first paragraph - I just can't follow your train of thought as it seems to suggest very different techniques to try to achieve the specified look. I've a reasonable grasp of physics and lighting but I can't see where you're coming from. Could you explain what you mean? Please!

Hi

Also I've re read your first paragraph - I just can't follow your train of thought as it seems to suggest very different techniques to try to achieve the specified look. I've a reasonable grasp of physics and lighting but I can't see where you're coming from. Could you explain what you mean? Please!
Anyone for popcorn? :):exit:

Anyone for popcorn? :):exit:

Not looking to start an argument but thought I might be missing something in the way it was explained!! I know that sometimes what I think and what gets typed, might make perfect sense in my head, might not come across that way in print!!

Not looking to start an argument but thought I might be missing something in the way it was explained!! I know that sometimes what I think and what gets typed, might make perfect sense in my head, might not come across that way in print!!
Oh absolutely and a perfectly reasonable question. It's just reading the past few posts I sensed a heated debate...I hope I'm wrong.

Hi

I can't be bothered to argue with you :) Have a great day !

I can't be bothered to argue with you :) Have a great day !
Who's arguing? Merely pointing out facts. And there's not much of the day left now :)

Hi

That image has as much to do with the Bohemian Rhapsody look as thrash metal has to do with country & western so I am with you

Mike

Back