The Book Thread

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
I thought it'd good to have a thread to discuss the the great and the good of nature photography books. Technique, field-craft and portfolios style books are all welcome, as are non-photographic nature guides that you still find useful.

My main recommendation has few a few years been The Handbook of Bird Photography by Markus Varesvuo / Jari Peltomaki / Bence Mate, which combines inspiration photos with a lot of useful information beyond the usual generic 'insights'. As of today, I think I have another book that'll be firmly in my recommendation list: Wildife Photography Field Skills and Techniques by Paul Hobson. I've only had the chance to flick through it since getting home, but it appears to be a treasure-trove of useful information. It's self-published so it doesn't get bogged down with too much mass-market 'this is a DSLR' type stuff and just dives in to the level of detail useful to the more dedicated nature photographer.

In terms of portfolio books, my shelf is quite limited. Mostly it's portfolios from the BWPA and WPY, a copy of Andy Rouse's Little Owl book, and the high recommended but now sold-out 'The Long Journey North' by Danny Green. When I eventually buy my own place, I've promised myself a bookshelf worthy of a proper collection...

Anyone got any books they feel are particularly recommendable?

Back