The boxer

Name
Mick
Edit My Images
Yes
_20180401_103459.JPG _20180401_103440.JPG _20180401_102943.JPG
I took these while reffing a charity boxing match. The first one has been picked up by Panasonic to use on their website.
Taken with Lumix GX800 using fixed focal length lens (LUMIX G 25mm / F1.7 ASPH)

I agree with Bigfun here but feel that this needs to be qualified as a comment like the one above doesn't help the OP one bit.

I agree its doesn't work as the viewer feels disconnected from the action. It comes across more like a snap-shot or record image than anything else. I have never shot a boxing match but would like to give it a try. Look at the pro/good images and see what they do. My limited knowledge is that they get in close, ie under the ropes, and shoot from low down. Try different lenses, standard and wide, to get the best effect.

As with most of these things, I think its trial and error. Keep up the good work.

Thanks guys, unfortunately I was judging that night so couldn't really get round the ring to take a better shots. I was really looking more for street photo type of shot rather than say sports one if that makes sense.

I think the composition in the first one could work but the focus needs to be on the central boxer, not the right-hand-side boxer and/or ropes.
I don't think the second really works although it's got some interest. I also think the very bright spot detracts.
The third I quite like, but I'd crop tighter.

For all three, I don't think the B&W tones work for me personally, but that's probably a preference, I'd aim for something a little less smooth.

Something like this for the third (although closer inspection suggests the focus isn't great on the subjects).

_20180401_102943_hq.jpg

Thanks @EightBitTony , I had to crop the original image as there is really bright light top left, I thought using B&W might give it a more raw feel, but looking at in colour. I think it might of been better in colour.

Back