Name
Russ
Edit My Images
Yes
"Guess who just got back today
Them wild-eyed boys that had been away
Haven't changed that much to say
But man, I still think them cats are crazy"

....well, not exactly "Thin Lizzy", but the Polars at YWP are wooing the crowds again as lockdown eases. 3 of the 5 boys spotted yesterday:

B59I4240.jpg

B59I4232.jpg

B59I4220.jpg

All shot with my 70-200mm f/2.8 lens, as a change from using the 400mm f/4 DO lens.

Russ

Good stuff Russ (y)

Nice set Russ ... is the discolouring on the fur natural or some sort of staining?

:love: Thank you Russ they look good don't they

" Nice set Russ ... is the discolouring on the fur natural or some sort of staining? "

Gramps,

Polar bears are actually black skinned to absorb heat, their fur is actually clear transparent hairs, but are hollow tubes to again retain heat and insulate, it is the light refraction in these hollow hairs that give the bear its colour..

Here endeth the lesson :)

Last edited:
Nice set Russ ... is the discolouring on the fur natural or some sort of staining?
- Many thanks Roger - I think the discolouration is some darker skin showing through the white fur :thinking:. Sometimes, however, they do tend to roll in the mud and get a nice shade of brown! :)

Russ

" Nice set Russ ... is the discolouring on the fur natural or some sort of staining? "

Gramps,

Polar bears are actually black skinned to absorb heat, their fur is actually clear transparent hairs, but are hollow tubes to again retain heat and insulate, it is the light refraction in these hollow hairs that give the bear its colour..

Many thanks Tony - appreciate your knowledge on the Bears! (y)

Russ

Gramps,

Do you know I actually knew that ... it's one of the many things that are 'up there' gathering cobwebs and just waiting for someone to remind me! :LOL:

Back