The Cabin an update

sawman

Private James Frazer
Edit My Images
No
Feeling a bit happier now it has a roof!
cab11.jpg

roof.jpg

Looks good .... Can I see daylight through it though? ... :D

You can indeed. Its called shrinkage! There is still roofing felt to go on yet then 1inch thick insulated sheets. That should keep the water & cold out!

Noo thats not daylight its the latest in white caulking....:thinking:

Looking good tho

That's looking a fine structure SM ... (y) ... if you don't mind me saying so ... ;)

Assume Hypno's fears will be sorted when you waterproof it with whatever ... :shrug:

:p

Noo thats not daylight its the latest in white caulking....:thinking:

Looking good tho

Thanks I am always happy when i reach another milestone so to speak. Have facing boards to put along the sides for the guttering. Tomorrow I fell more trees to mill into boards for cladding the walls.

Apart from the milling of the logs the whole job has been done using hand tools only. Apart from a cordless power drill.Nae wonder I have sore shoulders!

:eek: Hand tools? Thats madness!

Lookin good though :D

If it doesn't kill you that will be a fine structure to sit back and enjoy!

:clap: (y)

:eek: Hand tools? Thats madness!

Lookin good though :D
Well i have been old I am mad!! Seriously though after 40 years of chainsaws & sawmill noise its just so good to have some peace & quiet. Can even get time to watch the Long Tailed Tits in the Birch tree beside the cabin when they pass through:)

If it doesn't kill you that will be a fine structure to sit back and enjoy!

:clap: (y)
Well I hope it disnae kill me cause a man is coming to see it next week as he wants something similar built for him in Fife!!

Wow! You certainly have been busy - it's looking great :clap:
Thank you. I havent done that much to it this week as I was away. I finished up in a Tibetan monestry! But thats another story. Looking for inner peace & calm I was. Got a cup of tea & an apple turnover:LOL:

So when can I move in?

:LOL: You are doing a mighty fine job of it. I can't wait to see it finished.

LLT's........:eek: Don't tell Dougdarter!

His alarm will have already gone off :LOL:.

Looks good sawman, and only with hand tools :eek:. No wonder you knacked, and if you build another one the same way, ouch.

His alarm will have already gone off :LOL:.

Looks good sawman, and only with hand tools :eek:. No wonder you knacked, and if you build another one the same way, ouch.

Keeps me out of mischief :LOL: By the way. Where is Dougdarter. I do not recall seeing any posts for awhile

Looking great now! Top work sawman!(y)

Thanks. I felled some more Larch for cladding today & I will mill it on Monday. Might even get some walls clad next week.
Even after the walls are clad there are windows & doors to fit. Then floor joists/boards & internal lining to be done. Then decking outside. Then big party when it is done!!!

That's a real talent you have, what will it be used for once it is built?

Keeps me out of mischief :LOL: By the way. Where is Dougdarter. I do not recall seeing any posts for awhile

Suppose thats one way of looking at it. Good point about Dougdarter, maybe on holiday :shrug:

That's a real talent you have, what will it be used for once it is built?
Well the wife of the man who is getting it tells me he will lose interest in it after about 6 months! I have a share too though so it will be used for relaxing in & sharing with the odd soul that wants the use of it for a weekend break. My camera club have already said they want to visit the hill & it will make an ideal base should it come on rain. After all my work I want to see it used lots.

Im not surprised, its quite an achievement. How many people can say they can build something like that, single handedly?

Hi,

funnily enough I mentioned the very same thing to my dad on Thursday during our spoiled walk ( see pics in People section ) that I hadn't seen any posts or pics by Doug, I assume he might be on holiday, no doubt hear from him and his travels soon.

By the way the cabin looks awesome, I hear dad might be planning a trip up for a viewing.

See ya,

Mike.

Hi,

funnily enough I mentioned the very same thing to my dad on Thursday during our spoiled walk ( see pics in People section ) that I hadn't seen any posts or pics by Doug, I assume he might be on holiday, no doubt hear from him and his travels soon.

By the way the cabin looks awesome, I hear dad might be planning a trip up for a viewing.

See ya,

Mike.
Think he is planning breaking a bottle over it:crying:

I wish some of the carpenters on the sites I work on as a decorator would go back to using hand tools :)
Old school wins everytime in my book.
Sawman am intrigued at the cost of materials for such a cabin, any chance of letting me know.

I wish some of the carpenters on the sites I work on as a decorator would go back to using hand tools :)
Old school wins everytime in my book.
Sawman am intrigued at the cost of materials for such a cabin, any chance of letting me know.
Thanks for that. I will not even use a nail gun as I argue that with a hammer you place the nail where you want it driven. With a nail gun it goes in where the gun lands!!
As to the cost. I have not worked it out yet. I have been cutting trees & using windblown trees from the wood further up the hill. I have my own mill so I can fell sned crosscut & mill them at only the cost of my time. I will though cube it up & let you know. Should be a way of giving me a fright!!!

Back