The Camera That Started It All

I started with the very same model, still have it. I kept it for sentimental value because its worth more to me than the £150 I would get for it now.

I use it with a 35mm prime because thats all that I have that will autofocus with it!

Love going back to it now and again feels like a toy! Felt massive when i first got it.

In fact, if i can find an SD card im going to use it this aft for a bit!

D40X!!! MY first dslr and I loved it. Only upgraded to a D200 because I had the hankering to use old manual glass.

Yep, I started with the D40x. I still use it as well. The small size of the camera and the lightweight 18-55 plus 55-200 kit lenses make it a very portable package. Should any of you guys bump into me while I'm on one of my rare trips back to blighty this is likely to be the camera I'll be holding.

It was a Canon EOS 300 film camera, that i still have in the loft and am tempted to get down for another play

Sony a200 :)

1.jpg

I started with a Nikon Fm2 then bought a Pentax p30, then a pentax p50 then a pentax ME Super. I stopped using those and moved to a bridge fuji bridge camera for ages untill moving back to a Pentax k200d as I could use my pentax glass on it. And now I use a Mixture of them all

Halina 35x for me too.

Then Zenit E, Pentax LX, various other K mount 3rd party cameras, Panasonic FZ28 and now Pentax K5.

Dave

I bought myself a Sony A200 in May 2009. Fantastic starting SLR and I'm still using it! I'm looking to upgrade soon, but there's absolutely no way I'll sell it. It's been to so many places with me and therefore has some real sentimental value :) Also, being as old as it is, and with nearly 20k actuations on it, I doubt it'd be worth much anyway.

3527344235_7733258839_z.jpg

A100 here! Ended up upgrading to an A700 and then A850. Nowadays looking to go back to something smaller and more portable despite loving my A850s

I was luckily enough to get an SLR as a young lad, a shiny new Zenith EM around 1981 I reckon. I was about 11, my mum and da got me it after seeing how interested I was in taking pics with thier old camera they used for holidays and it kickstarted a love with photography that is still going strong to this day. (y)

edit: and I still have it !.. not ran any film through it for years though :(

Last edited:
I bought myself a Sony A200 in May 2009. Fantastic starting SLR and I'm still using it! I'm looking to upgrade soon, but there's absolutely no way I'll sell it. It's been to so many places with me and therefore has some real sentimental value :) Also, being as old as it is, and with nearly 20k actuations on it, I doubt it'd be worth much anyway.

The a200 was incredibly good value when it was launched, and when I bought mine (November 2008) Sony were offering cashback meaning the camera eventually cost me just £205 with the kit lens! I sold it at auction in April 2010 with 30k on the clock and received £210 back :LOL:

Practika MTL3, (1981) followed the year after by a Pentax M.E. Super.
I think it was an MTL3, though could have been an LTL. I do remember the innovation being the shutter release on the front and at 45degrees :)

I started with a Voigtlander! I can't remember the model number. 1968 it was, a birthday prezzie from my dad. The first time I saw him at an age I can remember. He was at sea and did 4 year stints. After that we could go with him, because he became Commodore. I got lucky, being able to take pictures of far away places as a child, India, Malaysia, E. Africa, the Arab states in the Gulf, Hong Kong, Penang, Singapore, Zanzibar, the Seychelles (not in order!) It was great. The fishing was good too. Then I had to come home and go to boarding school. I used the Voigtlander to produce some pictures for the school magazine though.

Nikon didn't come into my life until 1981, but I have been married to them ever since.(y)

My first SLR was a Zenit, but haven't a clue what model it was. Then after quite a few digital compacts and bridge cameras I went for a 550D. I should be pulling the trigger on a 5D MkIII later on today though. If it's as good as they claim, it should be my last. Till it falls to pieces anyway.

Back