The Canon 500D & 550D appreciation thread!

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
No
Seeing as this is a relatively new camera I thought it would be nice to have a section to discuss and show images from the Canon 550d.

I have yet to receive mine but it's due to be delivered either Monday or Tuesday of next week. I bought the Body only as i already have a Tamron 17-50 f2.8 non VC lens which I'm hoping will be awesome on the 550d.

Please post your views on the 550d and images when possible.

Thanks

I've had my 550D for a couple of weeks now, and I'm really satisfied with it. This is my first Canon DSLR, having owned the Nikon D50 and D5000 earlier, and I don't regret going for a Canon. I'm not going into the discussion wether 'brand X' is better than 'brand Y', but with the 550D, every prejudice I had towards Canon have now disappeared.
The body itself rests perfectly in my hands, and the button/wheel layout is intuitive and easy to get the grips with.
I got mine with the 18-55 IS kit lens, and I was surprised with the image quality it provides, as initial thoughts weren't good; it looked a bit tacky and felt way too much as a toy. It's sharp through the full range, and it's a decent walk-around lens. Even when doing macro shots, it does crisp and sharp images with a delicately blurred out background. This camera, coupled with a small selection of quality glass, should be the only camera needed for most amateurs out there. It wouldn't be my first choice for action photography, and the plastic body is not something I'd bring along in harsh weather, but overall this camera should be everything one could ever hope for, at least in its price range.

canon 550d and tamron 17-50 f2.8 iso400 and cropped
4672879612_8b9da670f7.jpg

Same lens as I have (Tamron above) Woo hoo! This is gonna be good! That image is nice and crisp and sharp with great colour.

that's a fair crop as well, i don't know how much % though as i don't understand all this 100% crop malarkey yet

Had mine a couple of months and I am liking it. Had a 40D before and I definitely prefer the 550D. Only thing I miss is the larger buffer and the faster fps from the 40D. I dont find the smaller size a problem, and the screen on the 550 is great!

Canon is give better quality than other camera. I have already used it. I have noticed that It had been gave such a nice feature like good graphics and also editing option in the pictures. So It is very interesting.

Its good in certain areas but not so good in others. I certainly would not want it as my only camera but it bridges some gaps where my nikon falls down such as offering me better hight ISO and 18mp vs 12mp and more punchy colours. The video is very good we have so far shot 2 music videos on 2 550Ds. The interesting thing is they don't appear to over heat in the same way the 7Ds do. The BG-E8 battery grip is fantastic much much better than the grip for the d90 this grip actually feels like it was designed as part of the camera and meant to be there.

The one thing that really bugs me about the camera is changing the AF point it becomes very annoying. oh and the stupid little pin under the tab on the hot shoe mount. When putting a flash on it pushes it down and tells the camera not to pop the built in flash. The only problem is it tends to get stuck down and the camera thinks the flash is still on when i have removed it. The pop up flash will not pop so to fix it i have to give the camera a light shake upside down so the pin resets its self.

I'll post a shout out for the 550d. Great little camera, very very easy to use, fantastic screen compared to say the nikon d5000 and amazing low light performance. Already I have loads of great shots of my little boy, where as I had loads of poor shots on my old ixus. Downsides - Metering not as good as the nikon I tried and kit lens feels a bit cheap compared to the nikon too.

Well mine has just arrived from Mathers. I have taken it out the postal box and it's sitting on my desk sealed and waiting to be opened.

Do i open it? Do i wait until i get home.........ooooh it's like Christmas! I bought the body only so I can't charge the battery and take some shots so I may open it at home and savour the moment.

when i got mine from jessops at bluewater i went straight outside and was sitting on one of the benches rummaging through the box and contents
a guy walked past with his wife and said "look at him cant even wait till he gets home" :LOL:
i was just checking it was all there honest :naughty:

Well I have had mine for a few months and I realy like it.
I was using a 20D, for me I like the bigger screen(my eyes are not as good as they were!)
and the fact it is a little smaller and lighter.
I was a little worried about the controls and access to the main controls after the 20D, but to be honest you can get at everything very quickly.
Overall I am very pleased.

I couldn't resist :cool: i have had a good rummage and a play with the menu and compared to the 450d it feels really nice. The controlls are more or less the same but designed differently. The live view button will be handy for my MF lenses. I can't wait to pop my Tamron 17-50mm on the front and take some pix. Watch this space (y)

I couldn't resist :cool: i have had a good rummage and a play with the menu and compared to the 450d it feels really nice. The controlls are more or less the same but designed differently. The live view button will be handy for my MF lenses. I can't wait to pop my Tamron 17-50mm on the front and take some pix. Watch this space (y)

Hey mr camera collector ! (y)
You selling the 450d? might be interested

Toooooooo late mate! It's gone already. I don't hang arround you know! :LOL:

If i bought a 7d or 5d i would have kept it for a spare but the 550d is too close to the 450d to have both really. I would reccomend getting a 450d for a spare if you can find one cheap enough as they are good. (y)

did you know it was being delivered today andrew
if so you really should have taken a lens in to work for that 'just got to pop out for a bit moment'

did you know it was being delivered today andrew
if so you really should have taken a lens in to work for that 'just got to pop out for a bit moment'

I work in an office full of Police Officers, Do you really think I would trust that lot with my lens!!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Here is a first shot of my 550d with the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 :D I'll do some proper ones soon when i get a chance.

Love the camera but will sit down with the book later to digest the features.

Anyone else got some pics? Not had a chance to use mine in anger :(

thats on a cast iron table!!! Arggggg scratches!!!!!!!!!

In case you haven't noticed, I'm a scratch hater.

when i got mine from jessops at bluewater i went straight outside and was sitting on one of the benches rummaging through the box and contents
a guy walked past with his wife and said "look at him cant even wait till he gets home" :LOL:
i was just checking it was all there honest :naughty:

LOL I did exactly the same when I bought mine from Jessops in the Trafford centre. Wife wasn't impressed. While I was there I also picked up a 70-300 IS USM lens.

I just did it again at the sorting office picking up my battery grip :love:

I have been experimenting with non Canon lenses on the T2i. Here are some pix taken just today (without any mods). The lens is a Suntar 35mm f/2.8 coupled to a Fotodiox M42 thread to Canon EOS mount. The lens adapter has a focus confirmation chip on it that actually works !!

Any input (good or not so good) will be taken graciously.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jjbruja/sets/72157624290723571/

Not a bad little see of images there. I take it they were shot indoors against a white wall? You will get better results outside.

thats on a cast iron table!!! Arggggg scratches!!!!!!!!!

In case you haven't noticed, I'm a scratch hater.
Don't panic, there was not a scratch to be found :D

Not a bad little see of images there. I take it they were shot indoors against a white wall? You will get better results outside.

Thanks for the input. It is appreciated. The photos were taken more of a test of the old lens.. These are all outside photos along the south side of my house. The wall color is a flat muted white with a very slight tinge of grey.
It has been raining all day and was extremely overcast. I actually prefer slightly overcast conditions. The colors can be more saturated, light levels more evenly distributed, and can be punched up without blow-outs.

Best Regards

Ahhh that would explain the 'feel' of the shots. I can't wait to pop a 'L' lens on my baby!

This is a picture taken on my 550D with the Tamron 17-50, it has had a small amount of processing done to it.

IMG_0406 copy_web.JPG

100% crop of the above image
0406crop.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with the 550D, yesterday I was taking pictures at ISO 1600 with the built in flash and the results are very impressive, I'll get some posted up when I get back from work tonight.

Taken at ISO 1600 again with the Tamron 17-50

IMG_0619 copy_web.JPG

100% crop

0619crop.JPG

Not really had the need to go past ISO 1600 yet, but I'll have a play with some really high ISO pictures at some point. So far I'm very pleased, its certainly better than my 50D at ISO 1600.

superb pics, great looking quality, one thing i am interested to hear about is its video quality, and also the video crop mode, anyone played round with it?

Video is fantastic! Only let down is the lack of manual sound levels and how it crushes the blacks with the standard picture styles. I'm currently experimenting with downloaded picture style that is supposed to help lift more details out of dark areas. I'll keep you updated with the details.

What I love about the 550D is that I now leave my video camera at home when I'm travelling, it does everything I need, its light and more compact than the 50D. I love it!

Here is a first shot of my 550d with the Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 :D I'll do some proper ones soon when i get a chance.

Love the camera but will sit down with the book later to digest the features.

Looks nice. The body looks a bit more ergonomic to hold than the 450 (450 was squarer, and even that was an improvement over the previous model) and the body plastic looks nice. I don't know why but it almost has that 7D look to it.

100% crop of the above image
0406crop.jpg

Overall I'm very happy with the 550D, yesterday I was taking pictures at ISO 1600 with the built in flash and the results are very impressive, I'll get some posted up when I get back from work tonight.

I would need a tripod to get my 17-50 that sharp!!! :D

Thought I'd just breathe some new life into this thread and let people know it's still around! Looking forward to the warmer weather and getting the 550d outside again - a great piece of kit.

I will be posting some pics up here after the weekend with a selection of lenses on the 550d.

Would like to see what other owners have taken too!

Need some advise.

I had a trip down to Jessops today to get my first hands on feel for my first dSLR. After trying quite a few and reading many a review the one I liked was the Canon 550d. Firstly I would like advise on the camera but secondly should I be concerned that the camera is nearly 2 years old?

As part of the deal I was looking at getting the CanonEF-S 55-250 F4-5.6 IS lens. Again anyone have any advise on this?

Thanks

James.

Back