www.MWcamerarepairs.co.uk

59 Barleycorn
Leybourne, West Malling
Kent. ME19 5PS England

Repairs to Professional & Amateur Camera Equipment
OVER 35 YEARS EXPERIENCE OF A WIDE RANGE OF EQUIPMENT
Member of Society of Photo-Technologists

quoted £38 +P&P for ...CLA - fix cough - new light seals

I'm going to send my A1 off to him as - after seeing the video - my A1 sounds like the dying asthmatic from hell....

will keep thread updated............(y)

Last edited:
I'll be interested to hear how you get on John. Do you know if that's for a replacement part or a squirt of oil?

I'll be interested to hear how you get on John. Do you know if that's for a replacement part or a squirt of oil?

he'll need to see the camera first

reading lotsa USA blogs it appears 2 thoughts

1...its oil
2...no it isn't - it's worn bearings

will let you know

hmmmm.... watches with interest !

(now where's that popcorn smiley :) )

My A1 is still at Dales, its been there coughing since err...September...

:bat:

My A1 is still at Dales, its been there coughing since err...September...09...:bat:

I'd get back NOW..

I'll be mailing my A1 asap now at his prices..! will let you know

its only a Canon though.......I've kinda lost interest in it..:|

i asked this...
"several fellow Canon A1 members of the Film Forum in Talk Photography have expressed an interest in this
one asks..."does the price include replacement of gearwheel or just lubrication..?"

he replied
"Unless there is damage to the gears it is a case of clean / lub, it is the lack of lub that causes the squeal, if the gear is damaged then the mirror will not operate correctly

so we'll see.....posting mine off next week...(y)

Hi I have had two Cannons with the cough repaired/oiled by Premier Electronic services of Sheffield. Both needed only a service, no parts, cost was around £40 delivered.
May be of interest to anyone in that area.
I have also had a couple of lenses cleaned here, they made an excellent job at a reasonable price.

Hi I have had two Cannons with the cough repaired/oiled by Premier Electronic services of Sheffield. Both needed only a service, no parts, cost was around £40 delivered.
.............. I have also had a couple of lenses cleaned here, they made an excellent job at a reasonable price.

that's £40 for a service - no parts....so what then..? light seals.??

so presume the *cough* was cured..?

could you tell me what lens service was and price...thanks...(y)

posting my A1 on Monday - turnaround 2 weeks - will update..:cool:

Hi. yes the cough was cured they also did light seals. Not a really full service as apart from the cough the cameras really were in excellent nick.
Lens one was a nikkor 35-70 2.8 zoom which had developed a spot of mildew on an inner element £65.00 and an excellent job.
lens two was my 30 yr old nikkor 80-200 ditto with fungus £80 and i'ts super now.

Peter...thanks for the update with prices.....john

***second quote**

I emailed Premier Electronic services of Sheffield...fast reply

"have a Canon A1 with the *cough*
1....estimate to service and lube
2...cost of new light seals and mirror buffer
3...return by RMSD

quoted "The total cost for this would be £52.00"

not too far off the £38+return PP from MW camera repairs

Jeez at these prices I'd rather pay another £20 for a T90 or a T70 kit with matching flashgun and nice selection of lenses. You can always use the A1 for backup.

That's fair comment - though for me, having and using the A-1 isn't about logic or being sensible - it's about always wanting one as a yoof and not being able to afford one, and now I can, I'll keep it running. The T90 is just too close to my EOS film bodies, but crippled by lack of AF in comparison. If I was being cold, calm and logical about things, I'd sell all the film gear now, and put the money towards a 1Ds III body. I'm not calm and logical about 'em though, I like my film cameras - despite 'em being a bit old and a bit fragile/brittle :shrug:

It would be interesting to see a quote to repair a T90, or any LCD electronic camera of that era. Not £38 I'd hazard a guess.
When the A-1 came out I thought it was faintly ridiculous, with all those exposure modes and twiddling a tiny wheel for apertures when there's a perfectly good dial on the end of the lens, but time has softened its appeal and I'm prepared to pay the repair costs for a working body. It's still a daft camera but looks positively ascetic compared with what came after.

Last edited:
Jeez at these prices I'd rather pay another £20 for a T90 or a T70 kit with matching flashgun and nice selection of lenses. You can always use the A1 for backup.

yes - been said before --- but it's NOT about the money

My A1 [coded March 1981] has been with me through thick and thin
well worth restoring/fixing for £38............(y)

hell, I spent "literally thousands" restoring a 1949 MG-TC with factory fitted Shorrock supercharger.......where's the sense in that..:thinking: ....when I could have bought a new Mini

hope the ex-wife is still driving it....:razz:.....:LOL::LOL:

It would be interesting to see a quote to repair a T90, or any LCD electronic camera of that era. Not £38 I'd hazard a guess.

Ignoring sentimental reasons you don't repair them, look at it this way if a T90 last for 1 1/2 years it's cost you £1 a week to use it (or two walnut whips ;)), my T70 so far has cost me 14p per week, my P&Ss so far 0.5p per week and so on and so on

Ignoring sentimental reasons you don't repair them, look at it this way if a T90 last for 1 1/2 years it's cost you £1 a week to use it (or two walnut whips ;)), my T70 so far has cost me 14p per week, my P&Ss so far 0.5p per week and so on and so on

My Nikon F60 does everything my other cameras do, generally better and is lighter to carry but I still use my 5 Nikkormats and F2, A-series Canons and for some reason I'm at a loss to explain, A Minolta that's incapable of automatic focus. The debate has moved on from practical and sensible is nowhere to be found.

Seriously, there are cameras that are worth repairing for financial reasons as well as sentimental ones and for me, the A-1 has edged into that territory. I paid £75 (IIRC) for the body and three Canon FD lenses, including a mint 50mm f1.4, and the same amount for another three Canon FDs from the same chap. The A-1 had the cough, so he refunded an agreed value of the body, which will cover a repair and I'll have a camera I'm confident in. The logic is far from impeccable, but it makes sense to me.

we have 2 camps.....

1....Ignoring sentimental reasons you don't repair them,
2....I'm not calm and logical about 'em though, I like my film cameras - despite 'em being a bit old and a bit fragile/brittle

each to his own............(y)

.......Seriously, there are cameras that are worth repairing for financial reasons as well as sentimental ones and for me, the A-1 has edged into that territory. ............

mint Canon A1 at ffordes today .........................£99.....:eek:

Then this recently serviced example (with new light seals and mirror cushion) went for £36 a few days ago.

I was very tempted.

we have 2 camps.....

1....Ignoring sentimental reasons you don't repair them,
2....I'm not calm and logical about 'em though, I like my film cameras - despite 'em being a bit old and a bit fragile/brittle

each to his own............(y)

...I can get attached to a lens, and a :crying: for something like Kodachrome going or even Tesco abandoning film...but not a camera body :wacky: :shrug:?

...I can get attached to a lens, and a :crying: for something like Kodachrome going or even Tesco abandoning film...but not a camera body :wacky: :shrug:?

Strikes me as equally :wacky: to spend hours trawling car boot sales, browsing junk shops and scouring gumtree/loot/local yellow seller papers to pick up old tat, when I could be out taking pictures. I've done my share of ebay-ing, by picking a price, a targetted search and letting a sniping program eventually find me what I want at the price I'm prepared to pay - but by-and-large - I don't buy much kit (at least compared to some people on here :shrug:) - and most of what I've bought has pretty much found me (eg the A-1 and the EOS-30).

There are certainly lenses I'm awfully attached to - the 85mm 1.2L I've currently on loan will take a crowbar to get my fingers off it, but I don't see why there would be a distinction between liking a lens and a particular body... after all, a great deal of the tactile experience, and a good part of the user interaction is with the body :shrug:

As for Tesco "abandoning film" - couldn't give a flying one, to be honest - the nearest Tesco's is an awful, soul-sucking, filthy fleapit, inhabited by worse leg-draggers and window-lickers than the local Wetherspoons gets at 10am. Of course, your mileage may vary :shrug:

Last edited:
Well, once you've had your camera serviced at least you know that it's in proper working order.

Buying a new/old body may just end up opening a slightly different can of worms with a whole load of unknowns.

Well, once you've had your camera serviced at least you know that it's in proper working order.

Buying a new/old body may just end up opening a slightly different can of worms with a whole load of unknowns.

..........buy from the guys here?

..........buy from the guys here?

well - when I was undecided about film, i put my Canon collection up for sale here

Canon A1...with manuals
28mm
50mm
35-70mm
70-210
Speedlite 199A

all described as mint [before I knew about the "cough"] and all FD lenses 100%

INTEREST..?................................ZIP.....:shake:

did me a favour really as decided to keep........:D

since added a 135mm and a Winder.....:LOL:

Last edited:
well - when I was undecided about film, i put my Canon collection up for sale here

Canon A1...with manuals
28mm
50mm
35-70mm
70-210
Speedlite 199A

all described as mint [before I knew about the "cough"] and all FD lenses 100%

INTEREST..?................................ZIP.....:shake:

did me a favour really as decided to keep........:D

since added a 135mm and a Winder.....:LOL:

I've eleven 28mm lenses, but would prefer the Canon FDn 24mm over my Ensinor and Sigma 24mm....but just can't get one cheap, they sometimes go for £60 which is silly (well for me).

I've been looking for one too (though I'd prefer an f/2.0). Even the 24mm f/2.8 seems to be quite rare compared with the 28mm, which must have sold by the shedload in comparison.

The 24mm 2.8 and 50mm 1.4 FDs on A-series bodies make up my standard street kit. I'd like a 100mm lens to go with it.

I've been looking for one too (though I'd prefer an f/2.0). Even the 24mm f/2.8 seems to be quite rare compared with the 28mm, which must have sold by the shedload in comparison.

Things were a lot cheaper 2 years ago and there were quite a few lenses I was waiting for the prices to drop a bit more...but they never did and I missed the boat :bonk:...Last year I could have picked up a Nikon 24mm f2.8 AI in VG condition for £40 from a guy I knew at the bootsale. :bonk:

Back