The Canon Cough

robhooley167

Sir, my fingers are stuck together
Name
Rob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

i recently purchased a canon A-1 from rockycameras and it appears to have the canon cough (squeaky mirror) now is there a way for me to fix this without sending it off to be done by a professional technician? i am reasonally adept with taking things apart and i have plenty of time, so is it reasonable to be able to do?

is it a relatively simple fix?

Thanks

Last edited:
Have a look here

though I wouldn't necessarily work in the same way as this guy - removing the screws with a kitchen knife FFS!

Also - I think this is more the bodgers "get it going again to sell" version rather than a proper repair.

I've read about the method where you inject the lubricant in with a needle, but to be honest I came to the same conclusion as Mark - seemed like a stop-gap solution, and I *think* I've read about how the squeal/cough often starts again a year or so after the 'fix'.

If it's going to be your main workhorse camera, I'd consider a CLA - I believe Miles Whitehead will do a CLA which will cover the Canon squeal for around £40, someone who is a regular around F&C regularly recommends him (can't remember who off the top of my head).

I've read about the method where you inject the lubricant in with a needle, but to be honest I came to the same conclusion as Mark - seemed like a stop-gap solution, and I *think* I've read about how the squeal/cough often starts again a year or so after the 'fix'.

If it's going to be your main workhorse camera, I'd consider a CLA - I believe Miles Whitehead will do a CLA which will cover the Canon squeal for around £40, someone who is a regular around F&C regularly recommends him (can't remember who off the top of my head).

John (Yardbent) had his A-1 sorted by Miles and says it was a bang-on job!

i see, i may do the stop gap until i have the money to send off for a decent CLA

Thanks guys :)

Unless you've got the syringe/gun oil that's involved, it's probably gonna cost at least half the price that a full CLA etc from Miles would (I think the £40 covered new lightseals, a full CLA and the cough sorting!). I know at that price I'm certainly considering just getting another A-1 that's wheezing but otherwise pristine, and having him look at it for me!

Yeah, it almost seems pointless unless you already have all the components.

Back