c+c please im beginner so try to be nice

IMG_4825.jpg

Last edited:
Firstly what a lovely puddy tat:D

To the image, its a bit bright, too much flash
Also it is not sharp(in focus)

I think the idea is ok but it needs a bit more practise
Good start(y)

Thanks, she is a lovely puddy tat if a bit of a tart!! lol!

A lot of people comment on the sharpness of my photos... not sure how to sort this out?? would a tripod help?

hi kim
for any portrait try to concentrate on getting the eyes sharp...nothing else matters
using spot focussing...narrowest band...will help...it is called something different on every camera
and try to keep your shots under 800/20Kb for forum and if you use pix.ie then we can click the shot to go to your album on line to see the big stuff
cheers
geof

hey geoff.

Ok thanks will try that on getting the eyes on focus, at the same time i was shaking the treats box trying to get her attention.. (shaking the camera not good)

Next time I post pics will do it so you have to click it... sorry! xx

hey geoff.

Ok thanks will try that on getting the eyes on focus, at the same time i was shaking the treats box trying to get her attention.. (shaking the camera not good)

Next time I post pics will do it so you have to click it... sorry! xx

i do that from time to time..too large..i have to go back and get a different link
as for photographing animals
set your camera up for multiple shots...this could confuse the cat and make it sit still
took me several coaxes and ch ch ch's to get bisquit to sit...then she turned her head in disgust, distain, or sheer indifference
cheers
geof

Will def try the continuous shooting mode! What kind of settings dobyou use for appetite and shutter speed?

Will def try the continuous shooting mode! What kind of settings dobyou use for appetite and shutter speed?

i took readings in P and then transfered them to M
stupid me...i now see i have a over and under expose scale in the viewfinder for manual
any way set at manual...this is so that you have the critical exposure set irrespective of where the lens is reading...
then i use autofocus because my eyesight is bad..+2.5 on the viewfinder and could be doing with a bit more...
the camera i took this with , the lumix fz7, has a frame indicator for L H and continuous...i use H which is around 4-6 frames
the 'new' e420 i now have has 2 3 4 and continuous but i havent experimented with it...
if you are on flash you will need to make sure your power source is fully charged...or use cut power flash to fill only...conserving power
i set at 80-100 iso but the e420 can do up to a creditable 1600...so i may do some 400 tests for getting higher speeds
when you are on continuous is is beneficial to have some extra dof to cater for...movement in and out of the focus plane...say 5.6 or above on a 50mm(35mm) setting...
for farther out ..for me its just pot luck
eventually your cat will get fed up with all your shenanigans and just sit...as bisquit eventually did with an air of resignation, her mind being on Iams i suspect
cheers
geof

Last edited:
For any cat picture I'd try avoid using flash. If you can get away without flash, you'll be rewarded by the cats eyes looking a lot nicer, bigger iris etc.

ok Geoff I am completely confused!! hahaha
Can anyone help with the sharpness of this image? Do i need to be using a tripod to get sharper images or is this the settings?

Morning Kim

A tripod would not be needed for this, I am not sure what settings you used as cannot see the exif(Picture Data)

I would suggest that you try with an aperture of around 5.6, dependant on light etc that should give you a reasonable shutter speed.

As a rule of thumb I would try and make sure you shutter speed is greater than the focal length of your lens, eg. If you are shooting with a 50mm lens you would want a shutter speed of 1/50th at least.

Try and hold the camera still, holding your breath as you shoot may help to steady the shot.

Best advice is to try different settings etc to see which gives the best result.

Without going into too much technical Jargon the lower the F number(eg,2.8) the higher the shutter speed and the less depth of field(Portion of the image in focus)

Not sure on your camera but it may also be worth putting it in auto, see what that does to the aperture and shutterspeed and then try and replicate in AV or TV modes, or even manual.

I hope that helps a bit(y)

It doesnt look like movement caused the problem as the collar and the area there are in focus, you may have been too close for the camera to focus properly.

You can usually focus on the eyes by depressing the shutter button half way and then moving to get the shot where you want in the frame and then taking the picture.

I would stick to aV mode or you could try P mode. Ideally you want the background blurred but the head sharp.

ok Geoff I am completely confused!! hahaha
Can anyone help with the sharpness of this image? Do i need to be using a tripod to get sharper images or is this the settings?

:D
me too...look in your booklet for continuous frame shooting...i am perfectly sure it explains it better than me...as i am still working it out on my e420
seems all 3 of my cameras use differing settings in the menu

tripod is great...but who is moving...you or the cat..(y)

i see flash is not recommended but sometimes it can help as a fill or partial light source...animals eyes go strange with flash...sort of ghoulish..but can be cloned a bit but i dont think respond to 'remove red eye' which is designed for humans

the best medicine is to bite the bullet..shutter..and take loads of shots and keep records of what you did so you can nail your best technique from results..many results

one thought if you are useing the pop up flash on the camera, a diffuser might help with the harshness. even a bit of rizla paper over the flash can help!

It doesnt look like movement caused the problem as the collar and the area there are in focus, you may have been too close for the camera to focus properly.
<snip> .

Yep, looks like either subject inside minimum focus distance, focusing on the forehead rather than the eyes or shaking the treats and hence moving the camera after the focus locked.

Ok yeah that helps a lot thank you everyone.
I think i will try a different subject that does't keep moving such as a cuddly toy.
I was using a long distance lens and took it from quite far away as this helped the flashh not make her look like some sort of goblin. So maybe its because I was too close for that particular lens.

Back