the centre of brum??

Name
dave
Edit My Images
Yes
i cant beieve that i found these gardens in the middle of birmingham, so i went along and popped of a few shots between the showers. this is only the second time i have taken this new camera out.

with the kit lens
4832161002_3f2330770d.jpg

and a few with my macro lens
4832150292_002dbb546e.jpg

4831535193_74bf89a86d.jpg

4832139434_03f8850cb5.jpg

4832137902_e1cd0e43b7.jpg

Like the first one with the kit lens.
As you can see with the macro you are getting a lot less dof. You need to practise laying the focus, you're a tad in front with your first bumble and have missed with the fly. The Damsel fly's eyes you've really nailed though(y)
Can't see the exif so I'm guessing these are shot without flash and at a wideish aperture:thinking: Stopping down always helps with macro, as can using flash.
HTH

cheers Rhod,
hmm now i see what you mean, so when i focus is it best just to aim at a specific spot i.e. the bumble's head? this is what i did with the damsel fly's eyes as i thought id never get the whole body at that angle.
you are right none of the pics are taken with flash.
i usuall shoot macro with the f no. between 9-22, but for some reason i took my eyes off the prize and the bumble is taken at f 4.5 :bang:
if i wanted to get closer what are my best options? an extender? and it would have to be on a pretty tight budget :crying:

I like your first shot.

Rhod's got most of the points I'd make. I'd also prefer to see the damselfly head on with that small DOF, so the OOF tail is in the background of shot.( Hope you get what I'm on about here). You could also try getting more side on so more of it's in focus at that DOF.

If you can afford a macro lens, then you've three main options. Either a teleconverter (which will magnify the image) and could be used for other types of photography.

Extension tubes are probably the other best bet. Ideally ones that have the electrical contacts in them so you can retain the lens aperture functions.

Lastly another option is a reversing lens. Which gives greater magnification by mounting a lens backwards on the camera. I'd personally go for the extension tubes myself.

Chris

I like the colour in the 1st shot cracking.
You have done well to find these in the centre of Brum.
I have only ever found cannabis plants. LoL
Do you work at the Q.E. by any chance?????
Regards
GG

Back