The Chicken Shack

A pity they hadn't got rid of the bloody awful strip lights which cycle through a rainbow of colours making it difficult to maintain a consistent white balance without using a speed that is slower than chicken-speed!
You raise an interesting point. Given that birds have such better eyesight that us, I wonder what they ‘think’ of fluorescents, maybe don’t see them as ‘continuous‘ and maybe not as ’white’?

You raise an interesting point. Given that birds have such better eyesight that us, I wonder what they ‘think’ of fluorescents, maybe don’t see them as ‘continuous‘ and maybe not as ’white’?
That's a head scratcher all right. I think kestrels detect vole urine trails in ultra violet, so maybe some birds will see fluorescent lights differently to us.

That's a head scratcher all right. I think kestrels detect vole urine trails in ultra violet, so maybe some birds will see fluorescent lights differently to us.
Someone will have done some work on it, at least with hens since they are lit to make them lay in winter — never did that with mine, they weren’t ‘housed‘ anyway so I couldn’t have even if I’d wanted to.

Besides most I mostly kept banties that only “lay when the birds lay“, as they say, like these:

1636233506575.jpeg

Aplogies for polluting your thread, I‘ll delete the image later.

Last edited:
Someone will have done some work on it, at least with hens since they are lit to make them lay in winter — never did that with mine, they weren’t ‘housed‘ anyway so I couldn’t have even if I’d wanted to.

Besides most I mostly kept banties that only “lay when the birds lay“, as they say, like these:

View attachment 335198

Aplogies for polluting your thread, I‘ll delete the image later.
No worries. :)

I've found this (but not read it all yet) https://mikethechickenvet.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/chicken-vision/

Chicken vision is a lot different to ours.

Reading more that link says chickens do see the flicker. And they don't like it.

Last edited:
It's been a grim time for poultry shows with avian flu around, and little chance of any going ahead this year it would seem. Egg shows have still been allowed but they don't hold as much interest for me. However, a coronation themed egg show tempted me out today! Just a couple for now as I won't be editing and processing the bulk until tomorrow.

Having had a long break from egg shows it felt like a fresh experience again and I enjoyed myself. Dunno yet if I got any decent shots, but I learned a lesson about the gear I use which will save me messing up more 'important' pictures (i.e. Lonk sheep pictures!) in future, and that if I could force myself to be ruthless I could manage perfectly well with two of my lenses. Although I'm sure I could find reasons to justify keeping all the others. :LOL:

_7823060.jpg

_7823077.jpg

How do you Coronation theme an egg show? Like this.

_7811372-Enhanced-NR.jpg

_7823235.jpg

_7823127.jpg

All the rosettes had red, white, and blue ribbons.

_7823155.jpg

_7823194.jpg

There were commemorative certificates for the championship winners. (Apostrophe Police please look away...)

_7823269.jpg

And everyone who entered got a commemorative mug - which I failed to get a photo of.:headbang:

Continued...

Last edited:
Over 400 entries.

_7823129.jpg

The flippy screen on my 'new' cameras was well worth upgrading to.

_7823123.jpg

Just have to remember not to engage silent shooting under fluorescent lights. The banding is much more noticeable in thumbnails.

_7823209.jpg

_7823209.jpg

A shame I didn't notice at the time as I captured some decent moments. All with dark stripes across them. Oh well. Live and learn.

Checking for consistency of size of two plates of three eggs to determine whih was the better. It took ages. Even the other judges were rolling their eyes!

_7823205.jpg

_7823226.jpg

_7823228.jpg

Three more to follow...

At long last full poultry shows are back. No waterfowl though. I started slowly because I couldn't see anything that I could make fresh, but after a lunch break I got in the groove a bit. Quite a lot of repetition of previous shots, with a few new angles. It proved a useful exercise though as it's helped me decide to get rid of a lens. Somehow, though, I managed to knock my main camera from raw into jpeg mode after just four frames. Not ideal for someone who rarely nails exposure as they'd like. However, the results have surprised me. Unless highlights were blown the files are capable of a fair bit of meddling.

There'd been a show last week which I didn't know about, although I was at the sheep sale anyway, but many had saved themselves for this show. There was an entry of well over 600 exhibits and people had come from far and wide - Durham, Cumbria and even Bedfordshire. Poultry people have been missing their shows for nearly four years I think. The car park was full to overflowing and the on-road parking stretched a long way.

_7823544.jpg

I was too late to see much of the preparation of birds, went home for lunch and missed most of the judging too. Which was all a bit silly.

_7823568.jpg

I had a play with my widest lens for fun.

_7817773.jpg

Monumental chicken!

_7817765.jpg

_7817796.jpg

_7817815.jpg

A few more to come....

_7823745.jpg

_7823749.jpg

_7823672.jpg

I piggybacked on the chap taking the winners' photos.

_7817842.jpg

On camera flash would have improved this one. Not that I'm bothered.

_7823814.jpg

Chicken legs? :D

_7823822.jpg

Thanks for looking. I'm not sure I'll be doing many more poultry shows. Certainly not with the regularity I used to.

With the amount of photographic knowledge available these days, I'm stunned that someone would go to all of that effort to set up and light a backdrop....

...and then use the pop up flash! :headbang:

Great set of photos and really nice detail shots.

With the amount of photographic knowledge available these days, I'm stunned that someone would go to all of that effort to set up and light a backdrop....

...and then use the pop up flash! :headbang:

Great set of photos and really nice detail shots.
Thanks.

They used to have a guy who went along and set up soft boxes who was more clued up. But he drifted away to reptile keeping so the chap doing the photos now is a poultry fancier with a camera, and the lighting on the backdrop improvised (they had none at all last time). I think the photos are just for social media and a poultry publication that is no longer a print magazine, so all destinned for web use. The audience isn't too discerning!

Back