The Chuck Away Your Camera Challenge - Picture Sharing Thread

As for straight horizons, my inability to hold a camera straight is so legendary, there are [untrue] rumours circulating that I have one leg shorter then the other. :eek:

I'm glad I'm not the only one that has this problem! I can't get mine straight to save my life either. I may start the rumour I have one leg shorter than the other just to make a good excuse :D

Yv said:
<snip> - love your 'screaming UK' Wail (y)

<snip>

Thank you. Initially I wasn't sure what I'd be shooting, but the opportunity presented itself once I saw one after the other.

Last edited:
I managed to find a disposable camera for the grand price of 99p (in the 99p Store, which is next door to Poundland in Reading) :)

It was a re-used casing with an unknown ISO400 film inside, I've had them developed and still don't know what it was as there's no maker's name on the negatives, just a bar code and some frame numbers.

Do not lean out of the window by Strappster, on Flickr

Somewhere in Wales by Strappster, on Flickr

Bristol Street Art by Strappster, on Flickr

Bristol Street Art by Strappster, on Flickr

I finally got mine back today, was actually surprised how well the roll turned out, the only crap shots were ones caused by the 12 inches behind the camera forgetting to use flash indoors.

My favourites from the roll, minor contrast and sharpening tweaks to compensate for my Epson V500, also cropped when i felt it was better. Shot with a Kodak FunSaver that had ISO 800 colour film in it.

AdxbJ.jpg

I0RED.jpg

2QWt5.jpg

J7kpE.jpg

7fCXT.jpg

rqOi6.jpg

Street art ones are really nice!!

Thank you :)

I was surprised at how well they came out, particularly the second one as the colours are almost as vibrant as some of the others I shot on Fuji Pro160C with a proper camera.

gwt them posted, thought you filmies were meant to be making the rest of us look bad :p :LOL:

ahh but its about light and composition, in that respect they're an F...:LOL:

Ja5UH.jpg

E1Oyj.jpg

2Rp0E.jpg

xVE5q.jpg

wCVyA.jpg

q2ZEQ.jpg

Some really inspiring work in this thread. I especially like your first shot posted Yv, the figures work really well in the landscape. And Joxby, the third shot you have posted with the houses is probably my favourite in the thread so far :)

I was just surprised how well most of the shots turned out, i was expecting most of my shots to be over or under exposed and most of them were pretty well exposed which is amazing considering the camera was f/8, 1/100th shutter (tested this with a shutter tester) and ISO 800 film which is EV13.
Have to say it was quite fun to use it, i have quite a lot of old basic film cameras i've shot with but having a camera so basic just took everything but the framing of the shot out of your control, quite freeing in a way.

Street art ones are really nice!!

yv - did some one get a bit wet then...?

A bit moist around the lower legs, yes! The tw@ deliberately drove through that big puddle and splashed both Yves Geza and myself. The van that was in front managed to avoid it and slowed down so he didn't splash us but the masturbators (probably mutual at that!) splashed through deliberately!

Nod said:
<snip> the masturbators (probably mutual at that!) <snip>!

Seems like a highly acquired skill! :p

Sorry to hear that, but the wall shot is superb (y)

Last edited:
Yv, sorry about the mix up, will post again, my sincere apologise to you.

Richard.

Second film came back from Boots, worked out a bit cheaper than my usual place, once postage is taken into account. I thought the colours in this one were a bit flatter, but it may have been the light. I had an hour or so to spare in Gloucester, which is a great place for photo opportunities!

1) Gloucester street

CNV00016.jpg

2) Archway near the cathedral

CNV00020.jpg

3) Canal basin

CNV00008.jpg

4) Lengthsman's cottage, on the Stratford canal at Lowsonford (nowhere near Gloucester!)

CNV00006.jpg

These were just Boots own, 400 ISO, cheapest, on a BOGOF offer, not too bad really.

My First disposable was a 12 exposure that I found in my garage that had a use by 2004 date the winder showed number 1 which I thought meant one had been taking, but it was only one left and this is it at the start of my London trip.
More to follow.

London 1.

72790008Comp.jpg

I used a Rollei black and white thing which was pretty poor in anything except perfect light. Managed to get about 5 good-ish ones though.

This one is very strange very Adams Family.

victorian-pile by andysnapper1, on Flickr

Shooting even vaguely toward the Sun caused problems

Tram by andysnapper1, on Flickr

This one is ok.

Gmex by andysnapper1, on Flickr

And this was about the best I think

CIS by andysnapper1, on Flickr

And the last one

Back-to-work by andysnapper1, on Flickr

So basically I'm useless if the kit is poor then...:D

Andy

I'm liking these bw shots, and constantly surprised by how the guys on digital always reach for the contrast slider... though I know Andy's not like that at all - that last one is a fave.

My First disposable was a 12 exposure that I found in my garage that had a use by 2004 date the winder showed number 1 which I thought meant one had been taking, but it was only one left and this is it at the start of my London trip.
More to follow.

London 1.

72790008Comp.jpg

That's a lot of balls :naughty:

Somebody had to, it's the law :rules:

The journey.

London 2
72780027comp.jpg

London 3
72780026comp.jpg

London 4
72780025comp.jpg

Here's my effort....

Belmont Lake
8105752162_49700044f0_b.jpg
[/url] Belmont Lake by stephen.lord, on Flickr[/IMG]

Loch Lomond
8105752998_e002efc2f3_b.jpg
[/url] Loch Lomond by stephen.lord, on Flickr[/IMG]

Ben Nevis
8105753350_78e724e826_b.jpg
[/url] Ben Nevis by stephen.lord, on Flickr[/IMG]

Loch Ness
8105738267_84ee1bc2eb_b.jpg
[/url] Loch Ness by stephen.lord, on Flickr[/IMG]

Farmer at work
8105754034_f74d88dd27_b.jpg
[/url] Farmer at work by stephen.lord, on Flickr[/IMG]

Dizzy the Cat (Taken by my four year old Niece)
8105737198_7acfca750c_b.jpg
[/url] Dizzy_The_Cat by stephen.lord, on Flickr[/IMG]

Cheers,

Ste

Oh, and by the way.... No Post processing, the only digital work done was the upload!

Last edited:
The arrival.

London 5.
72780022comp.jpg

London 6.
72780021comp.jpg

London 7.
72780020comp.jpg

Been great looking through everyone's images.....in no particular order & with no crit ,just ones that stood out to me:
Virtual adept - love the leaves/blue sky shot , I'd struggle with a "proper" camera on that type of contrasty image
Scott....#6..guessing a safari park, really good as very little noise/greain
Joxby...think it's the 3rd shot , through the tunnel to the stairs..really like that one
Snappy...both the graffiti images work really well , particularly the 2nd one , colors really bright
YV..#5...has a really olde worlde feel to it both in content & with the grain
Chris...Gloucester docks never looked that good when I lived down there...#5
Andysnap....Adams family abode for , reallt moody & creepy
Ecniv....love that abstract Cube image...really nice
Norters..great capture of that statue
Cuchulann...Ferris wheel works really well
Nod..#2 image Beach & wall...superb
Happygolucky..the sunrise/sunset image for me...works a treat
Spike...Brill shot of the cow
Ambermile...has to be the beach/palm tree shot ,the grain sort of adds a sense of storminess
Steve mcg....1st image...flippin darn great
ChrisR...Castle with reflection for me
Byker28..royal navy image works really wel
Wail....torn between the 2 london buses & the statue with fountain

Right.....biggest struggle for me was working out what to shoot & then not grumping cos there's no image replay...looked for it everytime :LOL:
Best ( if you can call them best) of a rather poor bunch ,quite pleased that most with horizons were actually straight ! SOOC...

FH000012 (2) by llj666, on Flickr

FH000011 by llj666, on Flickr

FH000015 (2) by llj666, on Flickr

FH000020 by llj666, on Flickr

FH000016 by llj666, on Flickr

FH000022 (2) by llj666, on Flickr

Rest are on flickr but not worth a light

Someone tell....WHY do these cameras exist ??:LOL:

The arrival.

Well, London 6 I really like! The colours are great for these cameras, and sharpness goes a long way to the side. Composition masks the distortion, too. London 7 has nice colours too, but the blacks and shadows seem to merge a lot.

Which camera was this?

Lynne,

Thank you for the comments :) .. and like you, I've been wondering why on Earth are these cameras still in production, when for almost the same price a digital camera could be bought :shrug:

Well, London 6 I really like! The colours are great for these cameras, and sharpness goes a long way to the side. Composition masks the distortion, too. London 7 has nice colours too, but the blacks and shadows seem to merge a lot.

Which camera was this?

Thanks Chris, That was a Fuji 27 exposure, bought for £2.50 of the bay.

The sights-Victoria.

London 8.
72780019comp.jpg

London 9.
72780018comp.jpg

Absolutely dire stuff from me.....my Fuji really didn't like it indoors with or without the flash, and since I've been outside so little over the last few weeks most of mine are almost completely black or just a fuzzy underexposed mess!! :puke:

Most are like this one.....

95820013.jpg

Here's a couple that came out okay, just wish I'd had more time outdoors with it....I think I could've done much better!!

95820020.jpg

95820021.jpg

I like that tractor one.

If it isn't full sunshine they're basically useless just as my old fuji dl-10 was. The latter didn't have the amazing distortions though. With the poor lens and the curly film I've got some weird effects that would take hours to achieve in photoshop :)

At least it has reminded me just how annoying I find using film!

Are they still in production or are the ones still available just remaining stocks? I know the one I was supplied with was a fair way out of date, which explains the colour shifts (heavy on the greens!) - maybe thet's why horizons tend to slope too? (Hey, that's not a bad excuse - pleased to see that I'm by far not the only one to suffer them.)

My favourites from this page (too lazy to trawl the whole thread), I've picked just one from eack entrant.

Medwaygreen, London #1. No PP apparent and a well spotted scene. I like London #7 as well but have problems believing there's been no PP (looks rather too quiet for these cameras!).

SteLord, Belmont Lake - lovely scene - got almost all the elements possible!

SteLord's 4yo niece, Lovely picture of a surprised cat! Poor Dizzy...

Blondie606, #4, lovely pose by the model, a great picture (TBH, I think it's one of my favourite sqidger pics anywhere!)

The sights- Parliament square.

London 10.
72780017comp.jpg

London 11.
72780016comp.jpg

London 12.
72780015comp.jpg

London 13.
72780014comp.jpg

Well, finally picked my disk up from Max Speilmann, loaded to LR and resisted the temptation for a quick PPing :D

Results....not too despondent. Don't recall taking many of them.

Anyway, I won't be converting to film any day soon :LOL: Although the camera worked quite well in low light, think it was ASA 800. Finger is in the photograph on some and it wasn't until I'd finished that I saw the minimum focal distance diagram :bonk:

I'll post a few from me and have a look/comment on others.

Cheers.

Photo39_26A by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Photo34_24 by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Photo30_16A by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Photo25_19 by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Photo22_32 by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Photo04_1 by andysheader (Posiview), on Flickr

Here's my tupence:

The Cube (closer) by KatiaUK. Liking the composition and graphic nature.

starlings. everywhere. hundreds of 'em by Norters. Alfred Hitchcockian.

Toytown for toy cameras by Cuchuliann. I did think, "How do you get tilt shift in a disposabe?!" eeekkk

CNV00024-001 by hpygolucky. Moody and great perspective.

Kenilworth Castle by ChrisR. One of the best so far, great colours throughout for a disposable.

Dead tree in shade by Byker28i. Minimal and well composed.

#3 by Toggerman. Well composed and great eye contact..and lovley smile.

4 by YV. The yellow really pops.

Bristol Street Art #2 by Strappy. Superb colours.

3rd one by Morinaka. Great movemen t of colour and form from left to right.

#2 by Joxby. Great reflection. Is it leeds and Liverpool Canal?

All of Andysnapp because they are B&W...didn't occur to me to use B&W.

#3 by Blondie606. Great film feel to it and nice detail/colour in the sky.

#2 by Slimbert. Looks like a toy tractor...;)

London13 by Medwaygree. Great perspective.

Apologies if I've missed you...soooo little time.

Overall, impressed.

Cheers all.

Crickey, been away from forum for a since pretty much before the weekend but some more great images added.

Damien, the tractor one is a classic and loving London 10 Richard.

So many well composed images, even those where the film/camera has let the side down slightly, it does show you all put some thought into what you were shooting. Question is, have you asked yourselves if you put that much thought into your normal shooting with digital? :naughty: Film users, I am impressed by the dynamic range of some of these images, the highlights/shadow detail is impressive on many considering the cheapness and quite literally throw away nature of the equipment. Now I do occasionally shoot film myself, and it IS superior in that department I always find over digital, however, how have these compared to...well, perhaps not a leica, but a lower end 'consumer' 35mm film camera? Some distance away or an absolute million miles away?

Just for info I have volunteered a couple of mods and an admin to do some browsing of this thread around the end of the month/early Nov and offer some decent feedback and a new user title of three (y)

<snip>

Just for info I have volunteered a couple of mods and an admin to do some browsing of this thread around the end of the month/early Nov and offer some decent feedback and a new user title of three (y)

Looking forward to this, especially the new user titles :)

The sights- The Eye

London 14.
72780012comp.jpg

London 15.
72780011comp.jpg

London 16.
72780009comp.jpg

Back