The Cirque de Gavarnie

SFTPhotography

Ranger Smith
Suspended / Banned
Name
Steve
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are some shots from last year I haven't posted. Some are rescued from the cards - reprocessed etc with the benefit of 10 months of having them on my files. Not a reflection in sight which is quite rare for me but this really is a very special location. Anyone interested in landscapes, how they were formed, and the history of the world would love it here.

These are all from one evening last year which was especially me and taken from the much quieter Pic de Tentes trail above the village.

The Cascade de Gavarnie

_DSC3412 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

First nice light looking to Marbore so I took a few different compositions

_DSC3415 - Version 2 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC3416 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

_DSC3423 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

I attached my 50mm to my other body to take a wider take of the whole Cirque de Gavarnie

_DSC1435 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Another file from the blazing sunset/Alpen glow but cropped different

_DSC3445 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

And another different crop of the Portrait

_DSC3446 by Stephen Taylor, on Flickr

Last edited:
Lovely set of images, liking all of these very much.

George.

I know this place as I went this year , Your 1st shot shows this place well but it could have been improved more by being in another location and showing the full circle of this place.
Nice shots though and well worth it for the hike.

I know this place as I went this year , Your 1st shot shows this place well but it could have been improved more by being in another location and showing the full circle of this place.
Nice shots though and well worth it for the hike.

That’s a very fair point. Shot 5 probably frames the most of it. I’m going back in 7 weeks time and I will consider this point you make when I’m trying new angles and locations.

You can shoot the whole thing from the walk from the village, or from the statue of Jesus further back (but that also frames the village which I don’t like).

The walk from the village is one way but this was a Saturday and would have resembled what I call “dog walker hell” and general misery from other people. The Pic de Tentes walk is a lot lot quieter and very enjoyable as it’s so much higher giving this special view bit I do admit to choosing it specifically to dodge the crowds.

Last edited:
It`s getting very bad everywhere, dog walkers, hikers and Photographers too, Just can`t get away from any of them ;)

It`s getting very bad everywhere, dog walkers, hikers and Photographers too, Just can`t get away from any of them ;)

And children, tents and campervans.

There was you can see some thought into going here. Free of all these things.

Plus it makes for a different take on what’s probably the most photographed place in the Pyrenees. If you go back don’t rule out Spain. The Anisclo Canyon, Ordesa Valley, etc are all stunning.

I’m going back to try capture more autumnal versions of a lot of shots I took last year, unearth a few others and maybe catch some of these with a dusting of hill top snow.

The colour and composition of the last - with the feeling the waterfall could go on a long way out of frame - lift it above the others for me. As for crowds: even in crowded Snowdonia a little thought and exercise loses them.

I'm sure the roadway is closed to the summit now.... When we up there last October /November the road stopped at the ski lodge half way up

Back