The Cobb

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Inspired by a recent post (badger8) I headed down to Lyme Regis nice and early to capture a shot of the Cobb at sunrise. Unusual for me but I was actually lucky enough to have a gorgeous sunrise. Here is one of my efforts. Hope you like :)

32873577373_2a07998533_z.jpg

That's a great sky! Always been grey and miserable when I've been.

I'd love to see a little more detail and brightness in the walkway, as the textures and colours within it are really interesting. And it might be my screen (or just my rubbish eyesight) but there looks like a little bit of haloing around the walkway, easy enough to sort :)

Been out on the Cobb many a time both good and bad weather but have never managed to get down there for the sunrise. Shame on me[emoji23] your picture has given me the urge to get off my a... and do it. Lovely shot, I really like the sky.

That's a great sky! Always been grey and miserable when I've been.

I'd love to see a little more detail and brightness in the walkway, as the textures and colours within it are really interesting. And it might be my screen (or just my rubbish eyesight) but there looks like a little bit of haloing around the walkway, easy enough to sort :)

It was quite a dramatic sky. I was surprised myself that it presented itself to me. I normally get the grey sky treatment :). You are right about the halo, it was a bit of a rush edit so I will need to give it another go. Thanks for the comment (y)

Been out on the Cobb many a time both good and bad weather but have never managed to get down there for the sunrise. Shame on me[emoji23] your picture has given me the urge to get off my a... and do it. Lovely shot, I really like the sky.

Thank you. Yes get down there nice and early it'll be worth it even if its just for the peace and quiet (y)

Nice shot Rich! Love the pastel shades in the sunrise. I have a mate that lives in Lyme and every time I have stayed with him I've also had the gash sunrises but at least it all came together for you.
There's a few nice locations down that way and I see from your website you've captured a fair few of them. Was going to say 'what no Corfe Castle';)
Like the Sturminster mill shots always had a thing about mills.

I like the composition, right down to the wave on the right swirling along the edge of the Cobb on the RHS.

Nice colours in the sky, and I respect that this is your decision to take but for me it is underexposed and the natural from filters, or added vignette in the sky in particular does not help.

It is a lovely shot though and well done for putting the effort in.

Nice shot Rich! Love the pastel shades in the sunrise. I have a mate that lives in Lyme and every time I have stayed with him I've also had the gash sunrises but at least it all came together for you.
There's a few nice locations down that way and I see from your website you've captured a fair few of them. Was going to say 'what no Corfe Castle';)
Like the Sturminster mill shots always had a thing about mills.

Thank you Steve appreciated (y). Ha, I have been to Corfe a few times but not really managed to get a great shot there. I will head back down though at some point.

I like the composition, right down to the wave on the right swirling along the edge of the Cobb on the RHS.

Nice colours in the sky, and I respect that this is your decision to take but for me it is underexposed and the natural from filters, or added vignette in the sky in particular does not help.

It is a lovely shot though and well done for putting the effort in.

Thanks for the feedback Craig (y). I did wonder if it might have been a bit underexposed. I did lift the exposure slightly during the edit but it didn't really look that great. As I said previously it was a quick edit so I will try and find some time to look at it again.:)

Nice image, it is strong enough on its own that it doesn't need a vignette to draw attention to the cobb. Lovely pre-sunrise shot (I say pre as I suspect the sun is behind them there hills!).

I like the composition but agree lose the vingette. The composition is strong enough not to need a distraction like a vingette and all the vingette does is make the edges of the image dark and hard to see. I happen to think the image as a whole is a bit too dark and a 1/4-1/2 stop under exposed

Thanks to this thread, we had a lovely ride down (well, along!) to Lyme for lunch yesterday. Absolutely heaving! Lucky we had taken a bike since there were a few slots available for us when we got there but it was even more rammed when we left.

Looking at TPE, you picked the right week for the shot - the sun rose at the end of the Cobb from that (apparent) shooting position on Tuesday.

Nice image, it is strong enough on its own that it doesn't need a vignette to draw attention to the cobb. Lovely pre-sunrise shot (I say pre as I suspect the sun is behind them there hills!).

Appreciate your comment. Thank you(y)

I like the composition but agree lose the vingette. The composition is strong enough not to need a distraction like a vingette and all the vingette does is make the edges of the image dark and hard to see. I happen to think the image as a whole is a bit too dark and a 1/4-1/2 stop under exposed

Thanks Steve, I agree the vignette is not needed here. I will remove when I get round to editing it again. Thank for the comment (y)

Thanks to this thread, we had a lovely ride down (well, along!) to Lyme for lunch yesterday. Absolutely heaving! Lucky we had taken a bike since there were a few slots available for us when we got there but it was even more rammed when we left.

Looking at TPE, you picked the right week for the shot - the sun rose at the end of the Cobb from that (apparent) shooting position on Tuesday.

It does get busy there. Ive been a couple time before and had to turn back as I have had no where to park. This was the first time I have headed down with the sole purpose of grabbing an image though. Yes the sun did eventually rise at the end of the cobb but I didn't manage to get a great image of that. For one the colour had faded dramatically and I have not yet worked out the best technique / method for shooting towards the sun. Thank for the comment (y)

It does get busy there. Ive been a couple time before and had to turn back as I have had no where to park. This was the first time I have headed down with the sole purpose of grabbing an image though. Yes the sun did eventually rise at the end of the cobb but I didn't manage to get a great image of that. For one the colour had faded dramatically and I have not yet worked out the best technique / method for shooting towards the sun. Thank for the comment (y)
TBH The best bit about a sunrise/sunset is what happens before/after it.

I rarely like the event itself or shooting it. Suns flaring into the shot will create an exposure nightmare. Some use grads but they flare terribly in direct light sources - especially if you stack them and god help you if they are scratched. The best is to blend using layers in photoshop but it is a fair bit involved. The best person on here for it is @LongLensPhotography

If you use lightroom it has an autoHDR tool, just take two and it will create one massive file with lots more dynamic range. @JakeT1992 recommended this yonks ago on a thread.

To be honest though for the colours the best colours happen before sunrise and after sunset in scenes like yours. The rest of the time I try to avoid shooting into the sun and go for the rich light, which exposure wise a monkey can manage.

TBH The best bit about a sunrise/sunset is what happens before/after it.

I rarely like the event itself or shooting it. Suns flaring into the shot will create an exposure nightmare. Some use grads but they flare terribly in direct light sources - especially if you stack them and god help you if they are scratched. The best is to blend using layers in photoshop but it is a fair bit involved. The best person on here for it is @LongLensPhotography

If you use lightroom it has an autoHDR tool, just take two and it will create one massive file with lots more dynamic range. @JakeT1992 recommended this yonks ago on a thread.

To be honest though for the colours the best colours happen before sunrise and after sunset in scenes like yours. The rest of the time I try to avoid shooting into the sun and go for the rich light, which exposure wise a monkey can manage.

Thanks for the advice Steve, really appreciated (y)

Back