The compact camera picture thread!

woof woof

I like a nice Chianti
Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
I'll post some...

Panasonic LF1 which I sadly gave away and Medion compact and Canon Ixus which I still have.

khL6AAX.jpg

Medion pictures.

Whitby.

iWPDef8.jpg

q5AUiUZ.jpg

Somewhere in Scotland.

mGa8nJ9.jpg

jbIbycb.jpg

Industrial accident, Canon Ixus.

g1cLOrE.jpg

I printed that first Scotland picture out filling an A4 sheet but then just filed it away and forgot about it. Years later I found it when looking for something else and was pleased at how nice it looks, as long as I don't look at it through a magnifying glass.

Anyone care to post some nice compact camera pictures?

Last edited:
I had an LX2 and then an LX5.

I found these cameras to be too slow to capture anything moving so I used to prefocus/hyperfocal. This was taken with the LX2.

lGwAhhY.jpg

I can't remember why I framed it like that, I can only assume there was something blocking the view to the right, maybe someone was stood there. So, I cropped it 1:1.

FNyAJH6.jpg

LX5.

My then GF on a ski lift thingy.

xAqkIhI.jpg

The view from the balcony with the sun in the frame.

pGv3H9g.jpg

One last one. Somewhere in Kazakhstan.

9qB7TPn.jpg

The wall of ice on the right hand side was created by a burst pipe.

Last edited:
Last edited:
@woof woof Hey Alan., great idea for an equipment thread I shall contribute as often as possible. (y)

Medion Seaside fun.

Redcar.

H8qutVu.jpg

Saltburn.

QGinScj.jpg

Whitby.

Y3aZf8q.jpg

York.

9KQxf2s.jpg

PS.
I'm not a fan of cameras without a VF but one thing about this Medion is it's truly tiny, just credit card sized and it's thin too and it really can go in a pocket with your money and credit cards. It has a nice metal body too. The colours can be a bit off sometimes, I suppose it's not great at always getting the WB right, but opening the jpegs up as raws lets me process the problem ones in CS5 using the tools I like in the raw converter.

Looking at the pictures and what is possible I'm tempted to start carrying it again :D

Last edited:
I've always had a camera since being a small boy, my dad always told me that photos of things you have done and places you have been are very important to jogging memories. So I have thousand of images that mean a lot to me 90% of them from digital or film compacts so I could post here endlessly. Here are a few anyway.

A photo of what was a new truck to me. I had just dropped 28 tonne of steel off in Keighley a job we did twice a week. The trick was to take half the pallets back on the first job and the other half on the second. The second job was done on a Friday and if you were empty you would end up doing multiple pick ups for Ireland on the way back to the Midlands and end up finishing at 8 or 9 pm
truck2.jpg

A Jack Russell pup I bred I've always had dogs from being a small boy, But have bred German Shepherds ,Jack Russels and more recently Working Cocker Spaniels
jack.jpg

Again recording as a memory, A story my lad wrote

space.jpg

Last edited:
I inherited a load of cameras from my father which were just put away in a cupboard ( mainly film) After doing Whitby Goth festival and having 1000's of photos taken of me and my wife it inspired me to have a go with his cameras. This camera was left behind as it was only 2MP ( Kodak easy share). I then more recently dug it out and was really surprised. (Then my grandson killed it !)

A picnic at Trimpley
2MP1.JPG

Defenders of the realm, at a Rock house at Enville
2MP2.JPG

2MP3.JPG

On a dog walk on Highgate common
2MP4.JPG

2MP5.JPG

I remember an early digital compact at work that took AA's or AAA's, I can't remember but I do remember that they only lasted a few minutes. It was kept in the purchasing dept in the same cupboard as the batteries. When I needed it I'd fit new batteries and rush off to take a few pictures and more than once the batteries went before I finished.

Does anyone else remember or have a compact that bad on batteries?

I gave up and as above with industrial accident I took my own Ixus to work to use.

Last edited:
I remember an early digital compact at work that took AA's or AAA's, I can't remember but I do remember that they only lasted a few minutes. It was kept in the purchasing dept in the same cupboard as the batteries. When I needed it I'd fit new batteries and rush off to take a few pictures and more than once the batteries went before I finished.

Does anyone else remember or have a compact that bad on batteries?

I gave up and as above with industrial accident I took my own Ixus to work to use.
Canon PowerShot A300
Canon PowerShot A80

Had both - those AA batteries :rolleyes:

This post is all on a Pentax Optio 550

Puerto Banus

This was the first holiday I got this camera and was messing around with DOF. (IT wasn't Jamaica, the cards were from there).

Puerto Banus 2003
by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

New York 2003

NYC. 2003

NYC 2003

We then took a road trip down through California in 2004 - still one of my favourite ever holidays:

San Francisco 2004

San Francisco 2004

Yosemite 2004

Half Dome, Yosemite 2004

Yosemite 2004

Yosemite 2004

Valley of Ice, Yosemite 2004

Pentax Optio 550

This one of my daughter I actually got printed out at A2 (from a 5MP camera) as one of the picture places was doing an intro deal for £5. It held up really well with very little pixellation.

27.05.05.09 by Kell Lunam-Cowan, on Flickr

what classifies as a compact camera? is RX1 a compact camera? how about the X100 series or RX100 series?

I think the original idea was compact as in small and cheap but I think people have happily expanded that to small and cheap now.

At one time my Medion could be bought new for £10 from the Medion shop :D Mine was a present.

Last edited:
I think the original idea was compact as in small and cheap but I think people have happily expanded that to small and cheap now.

At one time my Medion could be bought new for £10 from the Medion shop :D Mine was a present.

I just thought Compact meant small and fixed lens...

If only I'd remembered that they were called Point and Shoots.

If only I'd remembered that they were called Point and Shoots.

I started with a Kodak Instamatic 36 which had a 43mm f11 fixed focus lens and I think two speed settings 1/40 and 1/80. I recently bought a Panasonic GM5 and 20mm f1.7 as that gives me a small camera with a 40mm equivalent lens. The camera had an issue and is currently away for repair but I'm hoping it returns fixed and useable.

The Didcot cooling towers in use, taken from a train with a Panasonic TZ4...

Didcot cooling towers TZ4 1000529.JPG

After the TZ4 came the TZ40...

John Lewis kitchen staff at Swindon Panasonic TZ40 1020200.jpg

And now a TZ70...

Cloud over farmland TZ70 P1030278.JPG

I started with a Kodak Instamatic 36 which had a 43mm f11 fixed focus lens and I think two speed settings 1/40 and 1/80. I recently bought a Panasonic GM5 and 20mm f1.7 as that gives me a small camera with a 40mm equivalent lens. The camera had an issue and is currently away for repair but I'm hoping it returns fixed and useable.
I remember my interest in photography being rekindled when Panasonic released the GF1. I'd lost interest in lugging a Nikon D80 around and the compact format (and 20mm f/1.7) really appealed. The only downside was it was pretty unusable above ISO 400. Ended up getting a GX1 which was a little better then finally jumped ship and bought an Olympus E-P5. I found myself carrying around a body and four lenses and the format lost what made me interested in it in the first place.

That's why I think there's a place for a small point-and-shoot. Small, convenient and affordable. I know a majority would say that smartphones have superseded P&S cameras but for me, the experience isn't the same. The photos here are testament to their usefulness. I'd be happier in a dubious backstreet on holiday with a P&S than with an expensive smartphone.

I had a GF1 with 20mm f1.7 but decided I didn't like back screen shooting so changed to a G1 which convinced me that mirrorless was the future as I compared it to my FF Canon 5D and thought it matched the 5D or at least got close enough to it. I used my GF1 and G1 at any ISO up to the max which I think was ISO 1,600 for the GF1 whilst the G1 I think had an extended ISO to 3,200. I was happy enough with 1,600 and even 3,200 was useable with care. I've just bought another 20mm f1.7, it is slow to focus but it is compact. I have an Olympus 17mm f1.8 which I think is a better lens and much faster to focus, it's bigger though.

Back