The crap compact camera Cornwall challenge?

Name
Suz
Edit My Images
Yes
Due to the slight excess of crap compact cameras I was wondering whether it would be a good idea to send them down with one of the Cornwall trippers to pass around amongst everyone?

I can provide the cameras: 2 halina p & s, one hanimex P & S, a minolta AFS and the olympus 105. I will check all of them work ok first. I don't want to see any of them again so it seemed a fun way to encourage camera swinging.

Can others provide film and do the processing etc? I thought it might be fun for the plus 1s to fiddle about with them or for others to take holiday snaps for those that aren't going. Vicarious travelling and all that :)

As the holiday is in May I thought in view of the speed at which anything happens in here I'd mention it now.

Good idea?

We could probably collect the cameras from you if people want to go ahead. Sounds okay to me.

Cool. You're not that far from me so I can always drop them off somewhere convenient too.

How about Crewe Household Waste Recycling Centre on Pym's Lane? :whistle:

Only joking, those poor little unloved compacts, I think that's a good idea, let Suzy's Cornwall Cheap Compact Camera Challenge commence. Put them in a pillow case and let people 'blind-draw' the one they are going to use... and how about a small packet of Jaffa Cakes for the winning photo?! :jaffa: :D

Last edited:
Right. I have sorted out the final camera array.

There are two nasty hanimex efforts. Couldn't be bothered to test these properly. I fired the shutter with the back off and saw movement so that will do. They don't seem to have batteries or I can't find where to stick them...

Olympus 105 zoom thing - works fine. Flash pop up mechanism is a little bit wobbly.
2 Minolta AFS compact fixed lomo lens motorised everything jobbies. Under expose by at least one stop but otherwise dead easy to use.
My old Samsung fino 105s which has set on the shelf for years with a film in in it. This is a nice camera for a compact. It also has multi exposure and fill flash and a few other features. It's probably the best of all of them.

So that's 6 in all. There are spare AA batteries but they're a bit rubbish. Kodaks from poundland that are frankly as weak as a kitten. 3 rolls of Vista only so I'm hoping someone else is going to volunteer to buy a few more :)

Prizes could be you get to keep your choice of camera? I don't need any of them back as I have a shelf full... :oops: :$

We've collected the box of assorted compact cameras and other bits & bobs from Suz. We'll have a look and see if Mr Snap has anything else crap enough to add to the collection!

Thanks Suz :)

We've collected the box of assorted compact cameras and other bits & bobs from Suz. We'll have a look and see if Mr Snap has anything else crap enough to add to the collection!

Thanks Suz :)
Ive got some crap cameras I could bring just to add to the choice.

There's already 7 to choose from ranging from dreadful to not bad as I included the vivitar 35 EF.

And I've popped a couple in so that makes 9 in total, 1 each. Might be worth having a couple of extras in case some dont work properly.

2 or 3 spares should do. That's more vista you need to find out of your hidden stash as well ;) Halinas will be more use as novelty rounders balls...

H'mm the Canon sureshot isn't a crap camera compared to an old Brownie :rolleyes:

I've forgotten what mine was, I just thought of it as No 9! Possibly a Konica?

EDIT: meant to say, I really like most of those shots, Janet. Not sure about the two wet weirdos though!

Last edited:
Yes Chris, yours was a Konica z-up zoom.

Grrr!!!! :mad::)

Thanks chaps.

I forgot to post up this one last night. I think it was taken at the Travellers Rest just outside Mawgan Porth. I wonder if he'll forgive me for posting it? :D:LOL::wave:

Captain-Sensible by Janet, on Flickr

I do like the arm resting on his, um, robustiture (as FilmDevelop Gordon would say, I think)!

I don't think I got around to finishing my roll of film, so it's still in the camera at the moment. However, which one of the four million cardboard boxes the camera is currently buried in I have no idea!

(y)Do you know I forgot about this.... We had our shots back ages ago and Jan has posted a few of hers but I haven't even looked at mine yet. Tonight.

Back