The "crap time piece" owners thread

Edit My Images
Yes
We already have threads for people's "posh" watches but let's appreciate the unglamorous, the unfashionable, the cheap and cheerful, the Toyota's of the watch world that just get on with it, that you don't really care about but when you stop and think about it are in many ways as impressive as the premium brands.

Last edited:
Here’s my G-shock. I wear this day and night, to work, in the pool/gym, it’s been through the washing machine. Has a stopwatch, timer, backlight, battery lasts 10 years and is as accurate as any watch you can buy. All for £40. The one I had before (same mode, earlier version) survived being run over (wasn’t wearing it at the time!). Has zero “wrist presence” and nobody’s ever complimented me on it.

IMG_1192_1.JPG IMG_1194_2.JPG

My Toyota car gets mocked for having a red LED digital timepiece badly mounted to the dashboard from the 80's even though the car is only a few years old.

It tells the time, it fits in with its surroundings and I only have to push the button once to go forwards an hour for summer time. Not once have I struggled to look at it and not be able to tell what time it is. It probably cost 50p.

My car has a menu where you can choose the sound the indicators make! Half of the available sounds are so irritating that you want to crash the car when you hear them.

The worst watch I have in terms of timekeeping is my Rolex! In several other ways it's inferior to most of the other watches I have in that it needs to be worn to carry on working, it has no complications (not even a date) and is unreadable in the dark. However, it's the one I wear most. I do wear pretty much all of the others (other than the digital ones) if I feel like it.

BTW, I call BS on the "as accurate as any watch you can buy" statement unless it's a radio controlled one!

I've not worn a watch in years, (although I have one somewhere)
The phone has an (Alarm) clock on it, the car has a clock as does the sat nav, the van has a clock in it.
I have a clock in the kitchen ...
Other than that I don't need to know what the time is.
If I want Men's Jewellery, I'll get my ears pierced ( not gonna happen btw :D )

I've got a fake Rolex Moon Watch that I bought in Vietnam that cost about £20. It looks alright at a distance but close up it's fairly obvious its made from recycled baked bean cans. It also doesn't run for more than 3 or 4 hours without needing a good shake of the wrist. This looks a bit dubious when I do it: it's been christened the w*anky-watch. :D

The phone has an (Alarm) clock on it, the car has a clock as does the sat nav, the van has a clock in it.

That's like saying "My phone can take photos and HD video, I don't need a camera. If I wanted to carry around an oversized lump of plastic and electronics I'll ask to borrow your mum's v****tor" ;)

I generally wear my rolex gmt 2 but at the moment I am riding my z750 to work a lot so i have returned my old casio dive watch into use. Seen a lot of diving action over the years but refused to die.

That's like saying "My phone can take photos and HD video,
Its a phone FFS! It just happens to have a clock on it too. :p
If I wanted to carry around an oversized lump of plastic and electronics I'll ask to borrow your mum's v****tor" ;)
Thanks anyway but I'll pass on that too, I'm sure your mum needs it more than I do (y)

Last edited:

I knew you were going to pop up and say that, what is it you often say if have nowt much good to contribute then whay bother?

I knew you were going to pop up and say that,
Ever thought of joining a travelling show? you seem to have telepathic powers (y)

what is it you often say if have nowt much good to contribute then whay bother?
Surely a time piece attached to a phone qualify's as "crap"?

Currently wearing a Seiko Solar of some sort. Green fabric strap and waterproof down to 100m. Put it right (against an RC clock) a couple of months ago and it's about 1/2 a second out now. Close enough for government work!

I wore a Soviet era Sekonda from the early 'seventies until two years ago. When it stopped working I decided it had earned a "do not resuscitate" sign and replaced it with a neat little Bering. I wonder if that will last as long?

I wore a Soviet era Sekonda from the early 'seventies until two years ago. When it stopped working I decided it had earned a "do not resuscitate" sign and replaced it with a neat little Bering. I wonder if that will last as long?

haha I like that I think my Casio will get buried when it truly expires.

I'm still wearing an Animal watch that I picked up for £25 (half price) in 1997, and has been my travelling/adventure watch (wear it for holidays inc swimming). The wife gave me a timex for our 25th anniversary about 11 years ago, and that lasted until last year when the watch got caught & the adjustment knob got pulled out permanently, so I went back to the Animal. Had to replace the strap, but it's still good.

I rarely, if ever, wear a watch. I do own one though. Got it from amazon for £2.99. It looks like a black plastic wristband unless I press the screen and then the digital time shows.
41D4CQkglwL._SX385_.jpg

Casio AE1000W - £19.99 from Argos years ago. The guy in this video was truly excited to receive his. The comments are hilarious. "You're like a crackhead ripping into his new wrap of drugs". Look at the way he discards his old watch.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GbyKDpn8Xc
I bought a Casio 30+ years ago. Cost about £5. Used it when sailing, diy etc and anything where I didn't want to risk damaging my 'nice' watch. It was still working when I lost it 15+ years later.

thread from the dead, but - Oh Boy - where do I start...

IMG_0069.jpg

Invicta "Grand Diver" - built like a tank. 47mm across the Bezel, 51 including the Crown, Weighs around 250g on the solid link, solid end link, machined clasp bracelet. Seiko NH35 movement, that does around +6s/day without my having had to bother sticking it on the Timegrapher and regulating it. Been on my wrist for lots of Boating, Boardsailing and Surf activities and a couple of diving lessons before I discovered that the pressure messed with my inner ear and I decided that Scuba wasn't for me. Watch fared better than my lugs did.

IMG_5989.jpg

IMG_20191116_092643_133.jpg

Corgeut Flieger Type A (ish) Hand Wind, lovely Seagull ST3600 hand wind movement in the back, keeps astoundingly good time - I once ran it for 4 months, winding daily, and it basically never varied by more than a second a day, strangely, it seemed to be more temperature related variation than anything - the one day it ran at -1s/day, I was wearing it outside when it was snowing, and I was out walking for maybe 3 hours in it... Normally it was +- 0.2 seconds average. Scary for a £50 mechanical watch.

89011273_2799344723453417_6412581731378921472_o.jpg

Seiko SNK809. My "beater"/ work watch - £55 automatic, worked fine if not remarkably for years, loaned to a mate who was going "somewhere sketchy" on holiday who didn't want to be stabbed for his Roller... Silly sod managed to break the day/date quickset by altering it too near midnight. Lived with it for a while, then decided to jsut go on ebay and source a NH35a movement, did the swap, and now have a hacking handwinding '809 - really aught to have swapped the crystal to a sapphire while I was at it, but to be honest I've not really knackered this hardlex yet.

and of course, no "value" watch thread would be complete without everyone's favourite little IED timer...

F91W-NatoBlack.jpg

Nothing more to say really, other than if you get one, get a Nato strap as well if your wrist is over 7" round, as the supplied resin strap just isn't going to fit...

ETA: surprised nobody's caught the slightly off colour nature of the map that the Pilot's watch is over... (hint, look at the name of the city)

Last edited:
I’ve got an *ahem* pretend omega auto winder watch that I bought in Vietnam for £30. It looks the part, if you don’t get too close, but I actually bought it because I liked the look of the dial. Trouble is it only runs for about 2-3 hours before it needs rewinding. The winder thingummy is busted so the only way to get it going again is to shake my wrist up and down vigorously for a few minutes. It’s been christened “the w***y watch”. :)

But NOT the winding process!!!

I bought these as I started to get a bit nervous of wearing a decent watch in places where it may be damaged. They're cheap Chinese watches that have proved acceptably accurate.

Any marks are just dust.

I really like this one as there are few watches without a date box and I like the simplicity,

JRY4QCX.jpg

I have this in red too.

7XHzZec.jpg

They came with metal bracelets which were to big for me so I had them removed and cheap ones fitted.

I also have an old automatic Sekonda but unfortunately I think the new ones are all battery powered these days.

Last edited:
ah, the classic perlative ceranometer... takes true class to make two solid typo's on a dial...

Actually, I bought one myself, just for the "craic" of having something with such a glaring typo on the dial, and the gits have done a v2 reissue with the wording corrected...

I do like the ESS Minimal though - very "reminiscent" (as in a downright copy) of the Mondaine Stop-to-Go watch / Swiss Railways Clock.

I've got a Casio AWG-M100, bought a couple of years ago for seventy seven pounds. Radio controlled, and solar powered. Never needs adjusting or new batteries. Will hopes last me a while. Watches like this are proof that any fancy mechanical bling is really little more than male jewellery. Nothing wrong with that, but I do find it amusing how some folks go on about the 'accuracy' of their 'Swiss Chronometer' etc, when you can buy a much better 'tool' for a fraction of the cost.

casio-awg-m100-1aer.jpg

200m water resist as well, should I ever want to venture underwater a little bit further than the local pool.

SEVENTY SEVEN POUNDS. Delivered.

Two more of mine.

URl76Ub.jpg

VGN2t7n.jpg

The Sekonda has had a hard life but it still works.

BTW, I call BS on the "as accurate as any watch you can buy" statement unless it's a radio controlled one!

A cheapo Casio is probably as accurate as many über expensive 'Swiss Chronometers', tbh. Something like a £7.99 Casio F-91W (aka the TerrorWrist™ watch) has an accuracy of +/- 30" a month. Something like a Rolex is only half as accurate (+/- 60" a month)*.

Two more of mine.

That red one is a 'Perlative Ceronometer'. Class. :cool: Bet you can't buy one of those in Switzerland...

Last edited:
That red one is a 'Perlative Ceronometer'. Class. :cool: Bet you can't buy one of those in Switzerland...

The three Chinese watches I've posted pictures of are all clearly inspired by other marques but the differences is that although I own expensive Swiss watches I wear the Chinese ones more as it doesn't matter if I snag them on something while scrambling around taking pictures.

And the Chinese ones are available in different colours :D

Last edited:
Back