The Dark Knight

Ian D J

Michael Fish
Name
Ian D J
Edit My Images
Yes
Jet, now over a year old, was in a very compliant mood for this photography shoot earlier on this evening. It all took place in a dark room with black sheeting for the background.

Jet20Mar2015201.jpg~original

Jet20Mar2015202.jpg~original

Jet20Mar2015204.jpg~original

Jet20Mar2015203.jpg~original

The D7000 and kit lens were used and the settings were ISO 1600, F16 and 1/160th of a sec. Remarkably the camera was easily able to find the right focus point in the dark so I didn't need to mess about with finding the right focus manually.
I used an old skool vivitar flashgun attached to a wireless remote receiver for the off flash, I do have an SB600 but I didn't want to risk blinding Jet with such a bright flash at such close range given the limited space in my hobby room, whereas the old type vivitar is less powerful and thus was perfect for the job on this occasion.

Love the second image Ian, the bright eyes against the dark background really pop and I like the subtle highlights across the cats face giving it some definition.

Love the second image Ian, the bright eyes against the dark background really pop and I like the subtle highlights across the cats face giving it some definition.

Hi Stuart and thanks for the comment! I have to say, it was surprisingly easier than I thought as he was so well behaved as he stood still in the right place for it.

Brilliant photos!

What kind of power did you have on the flash as i take it you were shooting manual?

Also how come such a high ISO if you were ususin flash?

:)

That is a very good question regarding the ISO! I was meant to type it as ISO 160, but somehow the extra 0 had slipped through the net and indeed, the camera was set at manual (apart from the focus which was set at auto but coped very well with the darkness).

A basic old skool vivitar flash gun attached to a wireless receiver was used on this, I do have the "official" Sigma EF610 flashgun but I was concerned about the flash accidentally dazzling Jet if I have it set on "H", especially as it was at very close range (around a meter) what with the limited space in my hobby room. At least with the old skool vivitar, the flash was just spot on for this kind of thing without having to fiddle about with settings, etc. Also, because it is quite small and light, it can be attached to a gorillapod without it tipping over.

Last edited:
Hi Stuart and thanks for the comment! I have to say, it was surprisingly easier than I thought as he was so well behaved as he stood still in the right place for it.

That is a very good question regarding the ISO! I was meant to type it as ISO 160, but somehow the extra 0 had slipped through the net and indeed, the camera was set at manual (apart from the focus which was set at auto but coped very well with the darkness).

A basic old skool vivitar flash gun attached to a wireless receiver was used on this, I do have the "official" Sigma EF610 flashgun but I was concerned about the flash accidentally dazzling Jet if I have it set on "H", especially as it was at very close range (around a meter) what with the limited space in my hobby room. At least with the old skool vivitar, the flash was just spot on for this kind of thing without having to fiddle about with settings, etc. Also, because it is quite small and light, it can be attached to a gorillapod without it tipping over.

Ah that makes sense lol!

So what aperture did you use and what power was on the flash?

Cheers

Ah that makes sense lol!

So what aperture did you use and what power was on the flash?

Cheers

:D It was set at F16 at around 160th of a sec. The flash gun is that basic, it has no buttons or anything, just the off/on switch. :sneaky:

:D It was set at F16 at around 160th of a sec. The flash gun is that basic, it has no buttons or anything, just the off/on switch. :sneaky:

Ah so you used the aperture and shutter speed to control the amount of light? Did it take many attempts to get the correct settings?

Sorry im just trying to re learn some flash photogrpahy skills :)

Really good set we have black moggies so I know how difficult it s to get nice ones of them
my fav if the last one like the way he is looking up:)

Ah so you used the aperture and shutter speed to control the amount of light? Did it take many attempts to get the correct settings?

Sorry im just trying to re learn some flash photogrpahy skills :)

That's quite alright, but indeed, you're correct in saying that I've been relying on the camera settings to get the light needed - and funnily enough I got the correct settings from the off which was just as well what with a cat who wasn't very happy at having his kip disturbed (as the first photo shows!).

Last edited:
Really good set we have black moggies so I know how difficult it s to get nice ones of them
my fav if the last one like the way he is looking up:)

Awww, Peter, I think black cats really do come into their own when it comes to pet photography.

My next mission is to do the same thing with a white cat but using lots of lighting and pale background and my sister's Maine Coon is the ideal subject for it (they only live around the corner from here and they have a whitewashed lean-to I can try out, it acts like a giant soft light box).

Awww, Peter, I think black cats really do come into their own when it comes to pet photography.

My next mission is to do the same thing with a white cat but using lots of lighting and pale background and my sister's Maine Coon is the ideal subject for it (they only live around the corner from here and they have a whitewashed lean-to I can try out, it acts like a giant soft light box).
I will have another try now that they have grown up I did get some nice ones of them when they were little but was a lot of trial and error

I will have another try now that they have grown up I did get some nice ones of them when they were little but was a lot of trial and error

Pacify them with food and just as they are growing dopey beforehand and hopefully they'll be more compliant. I did this after 9 pm, when it was dark outside as well as inside. Mind you, Jet is 100% an indoors cat anyway.

Pacify them with food and just as they are growing dopey beforehand and hopefully they'll be more compliant. I did this after 9 pm, when it was dark outside as well as inside. Mind you, Jet is 100% an indoors cat anyway.
thanks that's a good idea :)
our three are all indoor moggies too they do have an outside run:)

Back