Critique The Darkest Hour

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, this is a photo project I've been working on since last summer. Basically the idea is to convey the atmosphere and feel of each of these cities late at night. Of course, I could have went out and photographed famous landmarks in these places at night, but I don't think that would be representative of what it's like to say, live there and walk somewhere at night. Public transport stops and other public architecture is representative, however. I focused a lot on mood and toning of each emage. I expect to keep adding to this collection as soon as I find myself in a new city. As you can see the last one is kind of the odd one out due to being not a transport stop and not a capital city.

C&C will be greatly appreciated.

14567167628_9ba98e9b5a_c.jpg

(1) Broad Street, New York

15093893463_ec7f87568c_c.jpg

(2) Karl Marx Allee, Berlin

16452145272_415b7e4654_c.jpg

(3) Merrion Square, Dublin

16093981798_ae48a04c7f_c.jpg

(4) Île de la Cité, Paris

16420298156_4698d778db_c.jpg

(5) Flogsta, Uppsala, Sweden

These are nicely composed and executed shot, although I think they could do with a bit more contrast.

Unfortunately I don't think you have made such a good job of selecting the subjects. As you have specifically mentioned the location and said that you are trying to capture the moods of the individual cities I think you should attempt to tease out details and views that are more specific to that location. Every city has an individual vibe and I think it would be a much more interesting and difficult project if you could capture that narrative.

As you have specifically mentioned the location and said that you are trying to capture the moods of the individual cities I think you should attempt to tease out details and views that are more specific to that location. Every city has an individual vibe and I think it would be a much more interesting and difficult project if you could capture that narrative.

How would one capture that narrative? I think I am doing just that, in my own peculiar way. Some people would go and shoot wide angle cityscapes of the great avenues of NY, Paris or Berlin, some would get a 35mm or 50mm and focus on street photography trying to capture the narrative of the city through its citizens. I did it in my own way.
I agree that my photos here are very tightly composed, and quite stripped down I suppose. You can generally only see one light source among the darkness. Architecture is a big part of any city and it doesn't feature too prominently here, I agree. But I like the aesthetic I'm going for.

A bit more contrast could probably work in some of these too.

I like them. The blandness works well for me IYSWIM. No bright lights, big city feel. Quite strange to see places with no people.

Now I love Berlin and spend a few years there while in the Army, but it's #3 for me. I like the cool tones and lighting on the bus shelter.

Cheers.

Back