The Drama - Dolomites Edition

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
Little did I know that I'd head to the Dolomites at the same time as another forum member, and all my efforts would be blown out of the water by his epic work. Damn it!!
Anyway, I stayed for a couple of days in Cortina D'Ampezzo, in the middle of a 3500 mile road trip around Germany and Italy.
I'm a big lover of the mountains anyway, but my first trip to the Dolomites really blew me away, the posture and scale of the peaks is really remarkable. I tried to max out the short trip by hitting two sunrises, which I hope will yield some shots over the coming days, when I get a proper chance to look at them in lightroom.
This shot jumped out at me, I love the profile of the peaks, and despite not being shot in the early or late light that I usually prefer, I feel that there is quite a lot of drama in this frame, and unusually, I'm quite happy with how this one came out.
This is shot from the Lago di Antorno, looking up towards the Torre di Diavolo (Devils Tower)
Thanks for looking, C&C welcome.

The Drama of the Dolomites by Matty, on Flickr

That's certainly got the wow factor mate! Looks like the place to be;). Those jagged peaks with the shadow and light and real textures coming through. Cant wait to see more Matty.
Looks like some interesting climbs there too(y)

This looks superb to me, the tones are excellent. Is it a subtle HDR? You obviously have some talent as that Tryfan photo on your Flickr is a stunner as well, no need to compete with others who probably have a different style to you anyway

Very nice shot Matty, great composition, well controlled exposure, and lovely receding plains.(y)

George.

I really like that, very different to Andys work so its all good to see.

Cheers Steve, this wasn't a planned shot at all, the light just jumped out at me, as I was setting up a lake shot. I'm glad its turned out well!

That's certainly got the wow factor mate! Looks like the place to be;). Those jagged peaks with the shadow and light and real textures coming through. Cant wait to see more Matty.
Looks like some interesting climbs there too(y)

Thanks Steve, it certainly is the place to be. I only got one day hiking in whilst I was there, but there is SO much potential. I'm factoring in a 10 day hiking/wild camping trip next year to properly get amongst it. They are some seriously sexy mountains!

This looks superb to me, the tones are excellent. Is it a subtle HDR? You obviously have some talent as that Tryfan photo on your Flickr is a stunner as well, no need to compete with others who probably have a different style to you anyway

Thank you, it's not a HDR, its a single raw, with just minor adjustments to accentuate the light/shadow balance. I had to be quite careful making sure the highlights on the fringing of the cloud stayed in check, so I deliberately underexposed, but I think this actually helped by accentuating the mood. Thanks for the props on the Tryfan shot too, appreciated!!

Cheers Buddy!

Very nice shot Matty, great composition, well controlled exposure, and lovely receding plains.(y)

George.

Thanks George, deliberately underexposed to manage the highlights, but I am glad the composition works. I've got a soft spot for this shot already, so I may even run it to print for myself.

Cheers Steve, this wasn't a planned shot at all, the light just jumped out at me, as I was setting up a lake shot. I'm glad its turned out well!

Thanks Steve, it certainly is the place to be. I only got one day hiking in whilst I was there, but there is SO much potential. I'm factoring in a 10 day hiking/wild camping trip next year to properly get amongst it. They are some seriously sexy mountains!

Thank you, it's not a HDR, its a single raw, with just minor adjustments to accentuate the light/shadow balance. I had to be quite careful making sure the highlights on the fringing of the cloud stayed in check, so I deliberately underexposed, but I think this actually helped by accentuating the mood. Thanks for the props on the Tryfan shot too, appreciated!!

Cheers Buddy!

Thanks George, deliberately underexposed to manage the highlights, but I am glad the composition works. I've got a soft spot for this shot already, so I may even run it to print for myself.

I thought it was under exposed but that highlight is well handled. I always ETTR to the point where I just avoid blinkies/clipping highlights and lift out shadows if need be. Might lift the shadows a tad but its really ok for the lighting conditions. Shooting into the direction of the light is always tricky.

I thought it was under exposed but that highlight is well handled. I always ETTR to the point where I just avoid blinkies/clipping highlights and lift out shadows if need be. Might lift the shadows a tad but its really ok for the lighting conditions. Shooting into the direction of the light is always tricky.

Yeah, its always a pain, especially at this time of day. I exposed as much as I could to keep the highlights in check, which rendered the shadows quite dark, but I actually liked how it came out, and only lifted the shadows a touch, as I liked the brooding feel of the foreground.
It's always good to shoot outside of golden hours to remind yourself what the mid day sun is like though, I guess!

Reactions: ST4
Tricky conditions, awesome scenery and great processing Matty! A very accomplished image :)

I love it. Very dramatic. Did you try a mono conversation at all? i think it would also make an awesome B&W image.

looks good if not excellent to me

Thanks Heath, I was super lucky with the conditions, someone was smiling on me somewhere

It's magical mate. It has so much to look at, the scale and the light is brill. Well taken darlin'.

Cheers homie, I've been enjoying it myself thanks flower

Tricky conditions, awesome scenery and great processing Matty! A very accomplished image :)

Thanks very much Nick, the scenery was sublime, I'm looking forward to a much longer trip next year!

A cracking photo Matty.

Thank you Andy, that's much appreciated!

I love it, great mood and light in the middle, and those peaks... like Sharp Edge on acid!

Haha cheers Dan, the light was exceptional! I'm off to blencathra next weekend for a newborn shoot haha! Looking forward to my first time tackling sharp edge in daylight hours!

I love it. Very dramatic. Did you try a mono conversation at all? i think it would also make an awesome B&W image.

Cheers Chris, I don't really dabble in Black and White to be honest, so I've not tried a conversion. To be honest, i quite like the subtle colour tones and would be reluctant to lose these. Appreciate your comment though, maybe I'll try it one rainy day

This is a winner, I can see anything wrong and would be delighted if it where mine. Great work mate.

Lovely dark tones and mood here matty, and agreed with the title drama indeed!

Class that Matt, very dramatic scenery and really well processed, top work sir!

Cheers Neil, high praise coming from you. Glad you like it mate, I hope that I can dig some other decent efforts out from the trip!

This is a winner, I can see anything wrong and would be delighted if it where mine. Great work mate.

Thanks very much dude, i always find it strange when a shot jumps out at me that I wasn't planning, but this just came about and I'm really quite content with the outcome!

Lovely dark tones and mood here matty, and agreed with the title drama indeed!

Thanks Andrew, as I am sure you were, I got blown away by the drama of the peaks over there, the late and early light was a real wonder. Are you planning to write about your trip, sounds like you had an epic mission, and I'm planning a return in April/May for an extended trip taking in more hiking and some high level camping too. Much appreciated dude, and strong work from you

Really like it Matty, it def has the wow factor as i opened up the thread and said 'wow' :D

Stunning shot

Thanks very much indeed Alf

Man every time I see images of the Dolomites I have to pinch myself!

I know, theyre a crazy place. I was driving in on the first day with a demented grin of joy on my face. Instantly fell in love with the landscape over there!

Really like it Matty, it def has the wow factor as i opened up the thread and said 'wow' :D

Cheers Dan, it's hard to go too far wrong when the scenery is this good!

Yes, it definitely has the wow factor!

I might try opening up the shadows a teensy weensy bit.

Thanks Jeremy, global shadow adjustments lost the intensity of the scene for me, but I think that perhaps some selective work when I have time might work well - thank you

I like the moodiness in this picture. Well done

Back