The dreaded err99 1dmk3

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I have just come to switch my 1d mk3 on and tried to take some shots and got the dreaded Err99 - does this mean what I think it means ?? (Shutter ??)

I have read somewhere that it could be the lens - so have tried it with 3 so that options out - I am just calibrating the battery aswell just incase thats the cause but not too hopeful :(

Anyone any ideas ??

View attachment 33847

How old is it, James. How many clicks?

Does it have latest firmware?

Last edited:
To be totally honest I'm not sure how many clicks but I'd say quite a lot - I mainly shoot Ice Hockey pictures as both my sons play and end up taking 100's per game - I think only Canon can tell me as its a 1d unless I am mistaken and age, not sure is there a way I can find out - i.e. serial number of something ?

When I try to take a pic I get the Err 99 message and when I turn it off the shutter seems finishes its operation (if that makes sense ?)

Take both batteries and memory cards out and leave it for 20mins. If that doesn't work it's off to Canon

On my mk4 and Dx the second battery is located in the top of the main battery compartment, looks like you undo a small screw to remove the cover where the 2nd battery is then hidden behind.

What I did when I first purchased my 1d mk3 (that was outside the mirror issues ) was to contact canon with the serial number ,they in turn gave me some info regarding recalls etc,I believe if yours as not had the fix it is still available for a free fix....Worth a try as I reckon that could be your problem

Error 99 doesn't necessarily pertain to shutter problems, it's just a generic error code for a problem that the body can't identify or that a specific error code hasn't been assigned.

Bob

• Error 10 – Malfunctions related to files have been detected (EOS-1Ds Mark III only).
  • Error 20 – Malfunctions related to the mechanical mechanism have been detected.
  • Error 30 – Malfunctions related to the shutter have been detected.
  • Error 40 – Malfunctions related to the power sources have been detected.
  • Error 50 – Malfunctions related to the electric control have been detected.
  • Error 70 – Malfunctions related to images have been detected.
  • Error 80 – Malfunctions related to the electric control or images have been detected.
  • Error 99 – Malfunctions related to the mechanical charge mechanism have been detected

OK both batteries and memory card are out 20 minute countdown - fingers crossed :whistle:

Check the voltage on the small battery

I do have a new small battery that I will put in after my 20mins has elapsed - fingers crossed

OK so the taking everything out and waiting for about half an hour didn't work (n)

So I guess the next step is Canon ?

Anyone any ideas how much thats going to be ???

OK so I spoke to Canon today and they went through some checks with me and informed me that it does need to go to the repair centre and sent me the email with all the instructions...

So now I'm thinking do I send it to Canon at Elstree or do I go for somewhere a bit more local like Lehmans ?

Anyone had any experience with them or do I just send it to Elstree ?

OK so I spoke to Canon today and they went through some checks with me and informed me that it does need to go to the repair centre and sent me the email with all the instructions...

So now I'm thinking do I send it to Canon at Elstree or do I go for somewhere a bit more local like Lehmans ?

Anyone had any experience with them or do I just send it to Elstree ?

elstree every time.. if lehmans cant fix it and have problems.. guess where they go ?

Ok cheers Tony - that's good enough for me - not looking forward to the bill but at least it'll be done right I suppose

as long as it doesn't exceed £500 which is the going price for a 1d3 these days !!!!

as long as it doesn't exceed £500 which is the going price for a 1d3 these days !!!!

True but if I bought a 2nd hand one I could end up with same problem a month down the line so at least I'd know this one had been done ?

Back