Edit My Images
Yes
Have I achieved the look of the 'whispy dream' Look

C&C please.

original

_MG_0002.jpg

edit

TheGirlNextDoor.jpg

I reckon so - what you really want is the 135mm F2.8 soft focus lens though :)

I think you have the soft focus look, but I think the image would benefit from making the background a little more 'high key'.

Paul C

How do you do it Tiler ?
What is the process ?

I can't be critical, but it looks like you have achieved a dreamy look - I would have no idea how or where to start !

pearce_jj - is this the sort of result the 135mm SF gives, and is it an effect you can dial in, or is it a off or on effect ?
How does the lens work compared to a straight 135 - is it as fast to focus, quiet etc ?
Cheers

Steve

I like it. You shouldn't have cropped the bottom of the picture though.LOL

My workflow was (if I can remember)

duplicate the image, adjust for levels,

then with healing brush to take out the skin blemishes.

duplicate again and then click Filter>convert to smart filter

Then filter> Other> High Pass @ 6.0 Hard light blend

Then Filter> blur> Surface blur you need to adjust this so that the image looks very soft and blurred then adjust the layer to 75% or whatever looks OK

Then add a mask to hide all and the sharpen the eyes until they look OK

The add a hue/sat layer to tone done the skin a little.

Then add a new layer. In this layer I quick masked both eyes added a blue colour from the picker and painted the iris. then lowered the opacity so the eyes have a more piercing effect.

Thats basically it. It was trial and error and I know about the backgound but it was the face I really wanted the comments on.

Thanks all.

Yes it is - variable effect from 0 (no SF) to 2. The amount of the affect varies according to the apperture - over F/5.6 there isn't really much difference. You can read all about it here: http://www.prime-junta.net/pont/Reviews/065_Canon_135_F2.8_Soft_Focus/_Canon_135_2.8_Soft_Focus.html

Very interesting read..!
I might look into that lens at some stage - many thanks for the link !
I had heard about it before, but sort of dismissed it as not really for me without knowing what it did so well !
cheers !

you know how to PP.

You flatter me Tiler !!

I do think it might be worth a look, as I am not good at PP, and if it works well as a normal 135mm, but has that added bonus, I might look for a cheap S/H version..
I also do not have photoshop, and struggle with Elements, so anything that can free me up to go listen to some music and close my eyes has to be worth seeking out - anyone know where to find one going cheap ?

Back