The Eagle Has Landed...............

Edit My Images
No
Or maybe it should be taking off.

I was honoured yesterday by being asked to attend the release of this years Sea Eagles.

Pictures cant describe seeing these beauties being given freedom of the skies. A truely majestic bird at such a close range.

Anyway heres a few shots.

1#
123.jpg

2#
SeaEagle2.jpg

3#
SeaEagle4.jpg

4#
SeaEagle6.jpg

5#
SeaEagle5.jpg

6#
SeaEagle3.jpg

Thanks for looking

Trev

Last edited:
Stunning birds and crackin shots. 4 looks to me like a painting :clap: but that might be my screen, really like it :clap::clap::clap:

Very good shots mate, wish i was that lucky :D Looks like you had a good lens with you :LOL::LOL:

Thanks mstphoto and gjt880

Yes gjt880 #4 has been over processed. Conditions were really contrasty and played havoc with metering. We were placed in the one spot and not allowed to move. :(

Cracking stuff Trev, especially the BIF shots :clap::clap:

Well done Trev.No 5 is the shiznitz! (y)

Excellent stuff (y)

It might just be worth cloning out the interlopers in #6 though ?

Great set of pics of a majestic bird, well taken :clap:. Must have been good to see them in real life.
I agree about the tags though, they look proportionally too big for the bird.
Trev

Great set of pics of a majestic bird, well taken :clap:. Must have been good to see them in real life.
I agree about the tags though, they look proportionally too big for the bird.
Trev

Beautiful shots! I'm a little concerned about those tags, though! Surely, they would be considered an infringement on the very nature of wildlife? Am I totally off base? Please enlighten me as I'm rather ignorant about wildlife treatment in Great Britain.

Last edited:
Beautiful shots! I'm a little concerned about those tags, though! Surely, they would be considered an infringement on the very nature of wildlife? Am I totally off base? Please enlighten me as I'm rather ignorant about wildlife treatment in Great Britain.

There is special reason for it.
Sea Eagles were persecuted to extinction in in this country and there are still people who don't want them to survive and actively try to destroy them (how sick is that). The tags help identify individual birds and allow their progress to be monitored for the benefit of the species.
The tags look awfull, but don't impede the birds.

Great pics. I saw some shots in newspapers of them being released in the Tay Estuary area.

Thanks everyone and also Dougie for his explanation, Its as he says, all part of the re-introduction process and helps in the ID of individual birds. The tags themselves are lightweight and have been used since 1993 on the Mull birds with no adverse effects. These birds in the picture are young, but fully grown their wingspan is 8 feet, so the tag will be much less noticeable.

A really good set of images you have here, nice to see more of these being released.

Sea Eagles were persecuted to extinction in in this country and there are still people who don't want them to survive and actively try to destroy them (how sick is that). The tags help identify individual birds and allow their progress to be monitored for the benefit of the species.

Thank you so much for that explanation, Arclight. How awful! It really upsets me when I hear things like that. Here, we have idiots who do so much damage to our wildlife--sometimes, it's just out of ignorance but mostly it's done with malicious intent. i have to keep reminding people that by endangering our wildlife, we are doing damage to our own civilization and survival!

Again, I LOVE those shots! Great work!

Thank you so much for that explanation, Arclight. How awful! It really upsets me when I hear things like that. Here, we have idiots who do so much damage to our wildlife--sometimes, it's just out of ignorance but mostly it's done with malicious intent. i have to keep reminding people that by endangering our wildlife, we are doing damage to our own civilization and survival!

Again, I LOVE those shots! Great work!

It's a recurring problem here. Some people think they are above the law.
Only about two weeks since a Golden Eagle was found poisoned not all that far from where the Sea Eagles in the pics were released.
Very rare for enough evidence to be found to obtain a conviction.

Folk that can photograph those birds and have their pics seen help raise public awareness.

These excellent photos have really done the occasion justice. It must have been marvellous to be involved in setting these majestic birds free. Let's hope they stay that way for years to come (y)(y)

Great stuff. You caught no5 very well.
I will be looking out for those wing tags flying over this way soon. Hope they do not get lead poisoning like one did not far from here last year. I mean, how dare it fly over a Grouse moor!

You should see what happens here. Anything that flies is either shot or trapped.
Must admit though that since we joined the EU parliament has had to introduce laws against huntinhg and trapping, and things have improved, but despite the heavy fines there are still lots of cowboys defying the law.

You should see what happens here. Anything that flies is either shot or trapped.
Must admit though that since we joined the EU parliament has had to introduce laws against huntinhg and trapping, and things have improved, but despite the heavy fines there are still lots of cowboys defying the law.

Sad to hear, but at least Europe can be seen to be doing something worthwhile!

The photos are really good..especially the in flight shots. Might be worth attempted to clone out the tags though :)

You lucky devil!! What a priviledge. They are truly beautiful birds and you've captured them well. I had the pleasure of seeing some (from a distance) on Mull earlier this year. They are huge but apparently they get bullied by the other BOP which is not so clever!

Number 5 is brilliant! I saw some Golden Eagles at Thorp Perrow which made me appreciate how awesome Eagles are.

Back