The eternal problem... Picture in lightroom look warmer

Name
thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
I've been having this problem for years and thought i sorted it out but no....

I've been processing picture from this summer and i can really see the difference.
In lightroom it's more saturated and warmer that once exported. And i can't manage to make it look the same.

Here's an exemple

On the left fastone with enable color management system enable
On the right lightroom in library mode

WzDLM4Ik2-LRnQ2S-JXLyC1380KJ2x0wOps1ActdXtrTXNJjNKGoGz5jB9jl6zg8P9ByIY55lRWp1llrGIpSNUaVMqUCF30fAyiuGFUTLJhkAEQebakX5MEIqypjIF7NQQC8Wgv2RH9yS-B3ZqyjErLe-bYOUEbqPkuES5yERaI4yjEyrXO-ZXgpJbVO1fLQkGuRbTvU_bjLuWHW93HS7sNdvNg4EmFEA1uLSIb2r-bVM7hGZq3BXcRUG7b77w0AcgupyL03fXx9DbZa42PcBRK12pB1e87kdCZ691PwNiPw2kFMS1xXCwzJQEUIkvWxDQNZkoq8gxwowBwwm7rzdAcUQ2HwtRwT3nwZV4OAVHAG0BnRaQn3ZTPwxESX34iN1aFUrjH2pNU8kkA0aTG-l4gFzQGNl9QLil90QQRK5aLy0K21GHzXXMpkSRqVlaGFUlZAKI2FogXf6mN8AzZrcfUjBIZ8cPL-exNLRlPNAtDJRFiBC2m3uO5i8Jx_m7geKddO1Mr0M7MUgfr5CHgDb_S9X8_NqMgil1pUrIhQsSQt9ilQSUTfGNrs8ASPyonYvI6Ih5RjaWqOlyjDg6BSDAw3PjfeerreiQvcx3EjnA=w628-h240-no

I do shot in raw, process in lightroom and export to jpg in sRGB.

Any idea?
I have this problem for years and i thought it was sorted but obviously not. It's just that on some picture it is much more visible.

Last edited:
Any idea out there?

My monitor is calibrated, my external screen is calibrated. The same error appear on both monitor.

To had to the confusion.

Image look the same on faststone viewer which is color managed that on the windows viewer which is not.
I tried other viewer which are color manage and it's always the same issue.

Hi Neil,

I think this should be the right one

https://photos.app.goo.gl/adh9Y5gbIJQGLy7Z2

That is an export from a lumix LX100 raw file exported with lightroom at 100% jpeg sRGB

Not the best photo but the difference is easy to see due to the yellowish sand in LR which is whiter out out of lightroom

I have similar problem with my nikon d750 files.

PS: On the top right of the image if you clic on the 3 dots, it gives you the option to download the file which is 4.4mb and has all exifs attached.

What camera profile are you using? Under camera calibration, right at the bottom of the develop section.

Also, do you have an import preset that maybe applying a white balance preset on import?

Last edited:
I use Adobe Standard for my lumix LX100 which is the default setting and no import preset.
With the nikon d750 I apply a preset while importing which change from adobe standard to camera standard and had some sharpening, no wb adjustement.

Your problem is that your monitor is calibrated, a good thing, but that means that you are using two different ICC profiles, a bad thing.

Lightroom will use the colour profile embedded in your PC, enabled by the monitor calibration. Faststone will use the ICC profile embedded in your image, presumably sRGB, which will conflict with your monitor profile.

Turn off CMS in Faststone.

Ok so fresh start to this thread and my concerns.

I have remove all my ICC profile and re-calibrated my screens (built in laptop and external dell) with my spider pro 4.
Now the difference i see is not as big but there is still a difference: picture in Lightroom are slightly warmer and slightly more saturated.
Is this normal? Is it only the lost of quality for saving in jpg (sRBG) from a RAW photo display in lightroom with a much wider color space or is should i be able to export what i see on the screen in LR into a JPG which can be displayed in another software looking similar?

Three examples so you can see that the difference isn't huge but is clearly there. All three image are shot in RAW, imported without any preset and using adobe standard for camera calibration and exported without any tweaking. So raw imported into Lightroom and exported straight away to jpg sRGB 100% quality.

One exemple with the lumix LX100
03H8Lv9fwvOLfxOh1wLgRSKDufXKIZIE7Wp-tOQAiWe4yHOg9t_dQxJlu-JduVHjihF0LIZJQslIxYL9Pyz0gOdaO_BXq1B4oiij1GHrthUMBXBrgIiL6_eVRPNzAVy8lCXNAblzDzQnew2juGmQl0WIVqc7CcXDjCzUatLnHClh6GR3REVnr45jzPK2SG0LHHhaUXexIeI896p3RDRwI72pbj1fu5RJHoJ02bsGSiNkbzzUT0AtrlD6m2fFbKGGpszay3EP_BVMp9iyWw5PEIDhlXZSI47ZP7QJNwS1zXdhFmsfeanZ5oCWSs61UfmFBFTkdtuqTAQLGWYpttlLZUcdJAjPfB7BA7uZiQVuKjrc8jMMiG-gObjYcVoUxcnZ3u6VAMtDMzfNpWVHETdiGJPFku74zldxGvpN5srAxuUOhDzAs_TnMtc88NtTbgdj-Z6_c5Q5nojeqVfrWLjU2C0QBdkTa4aBgIHmoieKsVSu2W6EqgvUjmHMYfHyZjCHmmjFXt5VzLbCfbOvSAKwxXdJw604RSidwYqj6ZII25P6PTJi9jT8yGjYvlZXFzGnlsbaM7kYGBxCD6mZDPVk90ntKpDCFrcAfNBzX3E5sQ=w829-h467-no

Two exemple with the nikon D750
iOTtkHarB6reznX2uDVvKeFw70RGaj_jMNwzW6j6ognyPH2YEPiLd8QRMOHn1sKoRK6FzOvJdKtZ2FdxmXSVv6gmEHytmbROd7C7A8QRuIXQ_iI9tWOtaESp9M6LqdVQObgHwbHAaksv2jKheN1cNqu4rjLWqS0ir5z7phgD2W8HkRoUSfHT7BQKu1Cget8WwKYx8g9ActhpL2y3-0K2W2Oj842a7OjPKpkmPUPYvYRyzMkYmdvexwfZs9a4gFc9tiB8dCqYjRec0iQa8nqFcFHUHjGv9VOND8eE-3ZNhLxXyQh0DKSv5-BK8ckXLCtF50fQZYgFW4SdmqoMn77_K0RB9kO_ytFdTBMWCUf0L7G3a2sKb6_-knBjR0JWMSfmY_WhMCafwjqiGmdLtpzUC-8jPljrwtCoYdRRjLdFJnweCjO599JMW-zbwU2HKj2_fznNgLRc6QcR87ZLZuOZKnU6_QxvVxaTkwC1IcxhBq1_AWDea0SGoaVFF53hxlhIeX84XxGhzoLXB8VxoMa4iVi3De3EN9SDiFr_frGnu7e-60pGiHMD1J-IYZ0ldbB8ytNMR5KSCcE-42lQFR346M6xy8_PRjKtOObGr-3p5g=w829-h467-no

j-Kz_YJTMvV98Jtrw57NVs6eoa159hZBH-mL08uUNL4cLPz2weL4D6aUqU0aN0Q4uH8BcBE48gU5VweaIZ-bmblPee_Ys7e3XCAWGaB8-RfMmH_FpWdwQiCVXL5bWljWePw1ztM6-zX7vd-N9QhmePj4kNYR2wIiQXt2HJYEUKjdWW992RyKfuKtr3ad78ty5CNr95YPozgQ83XkOaJhE7Jmf1kWhUCEaFUPMd7fQgbmNUNUCpvFX1AoCTvxOWUbhpD0WYaAxMQT799EhueaamyPLBfkQXI20HQYwAO_To2Rr85awtqT7k6K0i7qcEEgfYrCwXFLoSHoJjY9bPsc1bWCmMo5zKpWLA9g5omWv1kSM_OXQjNBe2-htxhD2VhfOrS8J9kLHD5E8RpVnwT8APBKsOigYfIrI3CcZc5qDOOtBIKyKZ5nWTqCEtmF1yyof-15rR6hFbKqf6GoDRnO7XTv8-WtaaXvt00VA5n6zn7RQr6RYvlQ0oZ-yEPn6snjfYfh0svxffC_lSKrbtwl6TkRANqrac4EIU3L1GddB9WpfIuiZPTS-_MP6UCz9N-2Kw-RUQb51B8RZlsSs_bWmJo-VFzRHmpr6PsvCkusmQ=w829-h467-no

All photo raw and export can be downloaded with this link:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0By_dUM4rPwT0aVRaTGEzeEFNZFU

PS: in faststone viewer having CMS on or off don't seem to make any difference to what i see on the screen, i remember trying other viewer and they were all the same too.

Now the difference i see is not as big but there is still a difference: picture in Lightroom are slightly warmer and slightly more saturated.
Is this normal? Is it only the lost of quality for saving in jpg (sRBG) from a RAW photo display in lightroom with a much wider color space?

Thinking back this is silly, i can see the difference in the crappy screenshot save as a jpg, So i should be able to get colour fidelity in my jpg export. How!

Thinking back this is silly, i can see the difference in the crappy screenshot save as a jpg, So i should be able to get colour fidelity in my jpg export. How!

Your problem is that your monitor is calibrated, a good thing, but that means that you are using two different ICC profiles, a bad thing.

Lightroom will use the colour profile embedded in your PC, enabled by the monitor calibration. Faststone will use the ICC profile embedded in your image, presumably sRGB, which will conflict with your monitor profile.

Turn off CMS in Faststone.

Camera profile issue?

prov.jpg asr.jpg

You can see very clearly the difference here between Fuji's standard profile and Adobe's idea. Adobe also ignores any custom white balance tweaks I make in camera, it's possible something similar is happening with yours and that faststone is better at interpreting the original file data.

Camera profile issue?

View attachment 110625 View attachment 110626

You can see very clearly the difference here between Fuji's standard profile and Adobe's idea. Adobe also ignores any custom white balance tweaks I make in camera, it's possible something similar is happening with yours and that faststone is better at interpreting the original file data.

I don't get it whatever camera profile i use, it affect the picture i see in Lightroom but then when i export it it should export it taking into consideration the camera profile, why would i use a camera profile if i can't export the result of it?

You are comparing viewing a raw file in LR to an exported jpeg in another program... LR is rather complex in how it applies color spaces. If the image has an embedded color space LR will always use that, but raw files don't have an embedded color space so it does some things differently. In the library module LR will apply AdobeRGB, in the develop module LR applies ProPhoto by default, or you can tell it to apply any other available color space in the develope module by enabling soft-proofing. How much difference any of this will make depends on the calibration and capabilities of your monitor.

Try enabling soft proofing and selecting sRGB as the profile...

You are comparing viewing a raw file in LR to an exported jpeg in another program... LR is rather complex in how it applies color spaces. If the image has an embedded color space LR will always use that, but raw files don't have an embedded color space so it does some things differently. In the library module LR will apply AdobeRGB, in the develop module LR applies ProPhoto by default, or you can tell it to apply any other available color space in the develope module by enabling soft-proofing. How much difference any of this will make depends on the calibration and capabilities of your monitor.
Try enabling soft proofing and selecting sRGB as the profile...

If I apply soft proofing to sRGB the picture seen in LR does not change. This suggest that my output should look the same.

I don't understand why is it so complicated, i process my picture in LR, i export it and i would like to export the same thing i've just process? Why is this is so complicated! Is it me or is it different for everyone?

I will try reimporting and seeing if it look different.

I've reimported the exported jpeg picture in LR. Here both JPEG and RAW look the same.

Where do i go from there?
Is it LR which does not display properly.
Is it external software which does not display properly?

I would think it is LR the problem as every other software display the picture in the same way only LR is different.

It's not that complicated in general... because they look the same w/in LR your issue is that the program you are using to view the images is not fully color managed (and there's probably nothing you can do about it).

The three levels of color management are assume (program's default profile), assign (embedded profile), and convert (monitor profile). They equate to unmanaged, color managed (many browsers and programs), and fully color managed (PS/LR/Firefox(optionally)/etc). Color managed browsers/programs which stop at "assign" isn't much of a problem for most monitors that are only at/near sRGB, but it is a problem for wider gamut monitors.

So you are saying there is no way i can look at my picture i edit with lightroom in another software without them looking different?

Might have found a walkaround.
I installed Xnview MP instead of Faststone viewer and now it works. Maybe Fastone viewer is not picking up the right color management or is not fully color managed whatever this mean... But Xnview MP show you exactly which ICC profile it is selecting and let you choose another one if necessary.

Now my image look the same in LR and in Xnview MP which i will use as a quick browser for my exported picture from now on.

mt0vWLW6yP76qig0ZOtSJRODtXoF7joUmFZNWesoJkGf_LV5gX3ht_yrS0j0p4n6i7hejmCtSr0gFJ9OZwJC5vfvSUoQvUHMmWYQ49bGqQKaBUy2Riq2jfmCgijV9HO9Cwb5Vi96Qtpp0hOLO08Z58Zsyh7pxwa0jh4f9HML-kvz0l1AkIyezLyLmuvqquwO8gjUeqqC3cHuzskGjq6DPYmM8MY_uYN2fA3KG21sYoumkoDOpZdawF2i3hKi98lbKGA7opgTl0qOjcahDsngDknkyF6qk9ra5pK6mKIo7kTCs8faY8YUL9on0BlBhehR8l8_bNlUSpB0adg86GcWxyS8-11Dgafrlq1ZKGO5lffZDZA67lq6gQCNy8So6t1WzeMSbJmMXYIxYIIWZqtcxC3maGNQ9R9PEsXUVLTw1x3_k5_RCUYSJz-qWNHnACcyxbkPELrC55g_Y1O3NNQi40ARADKapKipXWpQKLUNYezX-AEOtzlN6qTrpGGFpp3kAMAENZb7gwgopqSoHT5Hev2vl1_K1GF5vWnojJA2HN9No9fDExThBtfFWtyfaFG5PmdaN7nXMEDURRLqESgroxgsrSQxSIj3BS75l-f5ig=w2110-h1188-no

Back