The EYES have it!

sunnyside_up

<span class="poty">POTY (Joint) 2016</span>
Name
Bethy
Edit My Images
No
This kid has the most amazing eyes! I went round to photograph his newborn sister, and I couldn't resist grabbing a few snaps of Henry while I was there. Just so you know, I've not 'cooked' his eyes at all...

Just a simple 60x60 softbox and my 85mm... which I have to say, is an AMAZING lens!

Thanks for looking!

(might have missed focus a wee bit on this one)

Henry1 by BethBotterill, on Flickr

Henry2 by BethBotterill, on Flickr

Yes, those eyes really are something else. The B&W works very well too. A great pair of photos.

in portraiture you have summed it up
i like both the shots for the eye contact and holdability to the viewer
in the first however the vibrating aubergine item would be better down toned
hence the black to white is superior in that respect...and at looking again i wouldnt say the first is really very complimentary...the eyes being so blue is enought without the saturation of the lips and hair

cheers
geoff

Last edited:
Thanks both, for your feedback. :)

Think I prefer the second one as I'm a sucker for black & white.Was there a window light as well as the softbox looking at the catchlights in the eyes?

2nd one has it for me. The focus has missed the eyes in the first.

I agree the first image is indeed soft :shrug:- the second is a little better and works well in mono

Les (y)

Think I prefer the second one as I'm a sucker for black & white.Was there a window light as well as the softbox looking at the catchlights in the eyes?

Aye, there was a wee bit of window light, but to be fair, but I didn't think I was getting much out of it. It was heavily diffused with a heavy weight curtain. The primary light source was the softbox. Thanks for the feedback!

2nd one has it for me. The focus has missed the eyes in the first.
Yes, I agree, the focus was slightly off on the first, but only a tad.... ;) Thanks for commenting! :)

I agree the first image is indeed soft :shrug:- the second is a little better and works well in mono

Les (y)

Thanks Les. Yes, as I mentioned in my initial post, I thought I might have missed focus a bit. Thanks for taking the time. :)

I very much like the first shot. Thanks for sharing.

I find the "diagonal" composition of the second one a bit distracting - not sure why. I feel the urge to turn my head to align with the subject! But I'm no expert.

PS - this is my first attempt at "critiquing"...

Rob

I very much like the first shot. Thanks for sharing.

I find the "diagonal" composition of the second one a bit distracting - not sure why. I feel the urge to turn my head to align with the subject! But I'm no expert.

PS - this is my first attempt at "critiquing"...

Rob

Thanks for commenting. It's not actually a diagonal composition... He was laying on his side on the sofa and the was taken straight facing lol...

Appreciate your feedback :)

Back