The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Unlikely. The Df has the D4s sensor.

so is that better iso performance than the 5d mark iii, i had one of them but ultimately really disliked it. only thing i liked was the grip and the iso performance.

It seems that they'd planned to put the D4 sensor in but the tsunami threw their plans to launch when it hit Sendai, so when it came to launch they had the D4s sensor ready.

Motorsport is far from my main subject. I will probably attwnd 2-3 events a year. One which will be a BTCC track event and maybe two rallies. Not essential that I photograph them but it's nice to push the boundaries from my normal style of shooting. I usually use af-c and take one picture with a shutter speed of around 1/125 so if the camera is capable of that then i think it would be fine? I like landscapes and portraits and I keep seeing amazing pictures on said facebook groups. I think I am still going to wait for them to come down in price a little as to get a decent length zoom I would have to wait until the piggy bank was full again where as atm I already have enough gear to get me by.

Will definately keep my eyes peeled though for any price drops.

The XT-1 is said to have the best focus tracking of any mirrorless camera with the possible exception of the EM-1. However, if you're going to stick with a focus tracking mode, then in my opinion you'd be taking quite a large punt with the XT-1 for Motorsport (particularly head on and 3/4 shots) and could be disappointed with the results.

So how do xt1 owners custom their camera buttons:

mine

Front: Focus Area
Top: Wifi
Up: Face Detection
Down: Macro
Left: White Balance
Right: Focus area (for when I am using the camera in portrait mode)

So how do xt1 owners custom their camera buttons:

mine

Front: Focus Area
Top: Wifi
Up: Face Detection
Down: Macro
Left: White Balance
Right: Focus area (for when I am using the camera in portrait mode)

I've left mine as default. I'm a very deliberate shooter. It may change with more use.

Anyone had a doubt creep into their mind after receiving their x-t1. wondering if they did the right thing?

Hi, "No doubts whatsoever", I've been using several of the Fuji X cameras for about a year now and have nothing but praise for them. I part-Xd my X-E1 for the X-T1 about a week ago and I'm absolutely bowled over with it. As I said in my post a few days ago the images produced by this camera seem even better than the images on my old X-E1 using the same lenses. I have the virtical battery grip on order and for me this should make the handling even better with the added bonus of longer battery life.

There's obviously some limitations as to an X-T1 with regards to my professional duties, but these limitations are to do with the smaller sensor size and nothing to do with the X-T1 specifically (the limitations would be the same for any APS-C size camera). And for these reasons I still need to keep my D800 & Larger Format cameras. But outside of these requirements the Fuji X cameras and particularly the X-T1 will be my cameras of choice. With regards to the image quality with all things being equal ie sensor size, lens for lens, ISO, etc, etc, then I have not seen anything that comes close to any of these Fuji X cameras.

Hope this helps.

B@ST@RD5!!!

Well, I can't really blame this thread entirely - it's my own fault for feeling an XT up in the shop! After reading this thread and several magazine reviews and talking face to face with an owner, I made the mistake of dropping into my local supplier to see if they had a "fondle me" copy. They did, so I had a furtive fondle. I knew that the IQ would be excellent so didn't bother taking any test shots, just wanted to feel the body and see how fast the AF is - more than happy with both, I knew I would buy one sooner or later. As I understand it, they can be hard to get hold of and the shop I visited had only been able to get hold of 2. Since I'm still waiting on the cheque for my 2 lens cashback, I was going to wait for that before handing over the card but I decided that since they actually had one in stock, I would trust to luck, so I asked the sales assistant to call heads or tails and he won so I now have one in the bag. Not yet read the manual properly (although I have skimmed it as a PDF) but will have it as a bog book for a while until I'm fully familiar with the features. Weather's crap here today and no weather sealed lenses yet (will be registering for the money off voucher for one when released...) so only taken a few indoor shots of the cat with the supplied mini flash (which doesn't seem to work on the X-Pro or the X-20 but I have a "proper" flash anyway) so far.

Still going to keep the SLR kit - I love wide angles and as yet, there's nothing that'll give me 12mm (or 8mm fisheye) FF wideness on the X series. Yet!

Since I can't really use the camera yet (no light, much precipitation!), I've spent a short while reconfiguring my old LowePro Nova 4 to hold the system. One body at each end with the zooms fitted (18-55 on the X-Pro, 55-200 on the XT) with the 18 and 60 in the middle. Plenty of space for the baby and bigger flashes, pols and other odds'n'sods. All still easily slung over a shoulder. I'll be taking it all out for a trial run on the Escot mini meet and if I feel it's a bit too heavy, I can slim it down and lose the primes unless I think I'll want them.

@Nod there's an extra pin on the hotshoe of the xt to enable the supplied flash to draw power from the camera. What is the 60mm like on the xt. I wanted to try my hand at macro but was put off because the 60 is not 1:1.

Only had a brief play so far - rain stopped and sunset looked to be OK so grabbed the 18mm and legged it (ME, almost RUNNING!) to the top of the hill. Not really even had time to figure out which button does what yet so stuck with default settings. The 18 does low light very well - a bit cool in terms of WB but since it was set to auto and the actual light was very warm, I'm not that surprised! Will be playing more over the next few days but currently cooking tea in between posts here so hands not really 100% oil free and I don't want to risk dropping a lens!

OK, hands degreased and lens swapped. With the room lit by a single 20W energy saving bulb 3m from the subject, it took a second or 2 to get focus but it was spot on. Without my (0.5 dioptre) specs on, I can't see the time on the clock I was trying to focus on with the current light level since the clock is actually in the shadow of the chimney breast! Move out of the shadows but with the same light source and aim at a normal ribbed radiator (not hugely contrasty) and it's significantly faster at the same distance. Shift the subject closer to 1.5m or so and make it the leaves on a spider plant and it snaps on PDQ. Move to something a metre away and it's as fast as anyone could need. Just realised that a total brane phart had me with the XT in Macro mode which might explain the slowness at 3m or so! (lenses now swapped back and wife due home shortly so can't say for sure that that was the reason). Only problem now is where the naughty people did I put the naughty peopling lens cap?! In the field, it always goes in my top pocket or right jacket pocket but sat here in my comfy chair it got put down. Somewhere! Not lost, I just don't know where it is other than within a metre of where I'm sitting!

Sorry, completely overlooked Mr Perceptive's post with his shots through a Samyang 8mm. I know it's possible BUT 8mm through a 1.5x cropped sensor cannot match 8mm through FF! The D700 and 8mm combination gives me a full 180° angle of view with a circular image but on a 1.5x crop, it's missing significant chunks. My 12-24 also gives the AoV of an 18-36 when fitted to a crop body.

BTW, once I got off my fat ar5e and looked, the lens cap was about 2" from where my heel was as I typed the above post!

There is Nod, :)

Still going to keep the SLR kit - I love wide angles and as yet, there's nothing that'll give me 12mm (or 8mm fisheye) FF wideness on the X series. Yet!

The (Fuji X fit) Samyang 18mm f2.8 fisheye is a really nice little lens, very small but more importantly very sharp !

For about £285 it represents good value for money and well worth keeping in your go-bag.

Here's one I took earlier today on my X-T1:

Shot at about f16 on a tripod, ISO 200, approx. 8 seconds.

As a side issue, anyone know how I can display this image bigger in these threads ?

Last edited:
There is Nod, :)

The (Fuji X fit) Samyang 18mm f2.8 fisheye is a really nice little lens, very small but more importantly very sharp !

For about £285 it represents good value for money and well worth keeping in your go-bag.

Here's one I took earlier today on my X-T1:

Shot at about f16 on a tripod, ISO 200, approx. 8 seconds.

As a side issue, anyone know how I can display this image bigger in these threads ?

Nice capture, just checked the bigger size photo on your flickr account and the details are great

18mm on a 1.5x crop cannot be wider than an 8mm on a full frame body, it simply isn't possible! Even given that that has to be a typo and you mean 8mm Samyang, it still isn't possible for it to be as wide on a crop as it is on FF.

I have a few ideas which involve pinholes, one of which includes a novelty item, a body cap and an interesting juxtaposition... More sensible ideas include a zooming pinhole and a variable one, using a set of old manual macro tubes as the extending bits of the variable system. Just need to figure out the best way to make good pinholes!

I have a few ideas which involve pinholes, one of which includes a novelty item, a body cap and an interesting juxtaposition... More sensible ideas include a zooming pinhole and a variable one, using a set of old manual macro tubes as the extending bits of the variable system. Just need to figure out the best way to make good pinholes!

Lens cap in a vice and micro drill ? Don't want to state the obvious but I think that's the easiest way of doing it . Sounds and interesting project.

I used a procedure similar to the one here:
http://users.rcn.com/stewoody/makecam.htm

It worked pretty well.

Cheers for the link, Brian, very similar to a method I used many (many!) years ago at school, although ISTR a punch being involved to make a stretched dimple in the Al before making the hole. Since the raw material is rubbish/recycling anyway, it's not going to cost the Earth even if I do FIUBAR! I have plenty of spare body caps for assorted bodies to make the basic "lens" and a bit of trial and plenty of error will give me some exposure guidelines!

Back ON topic (X-T1!)...
Met up with some friends at Dawlish Warren beach, a mile or 2 East of the freshly reopened Dawlish stretch of the railway line that was back up and running, much to the relief of all points West! And took the X-T, 55-200 and the 18mm along for a play. Fresh sea air has quite worn me out so not uploaded to the main computer yet - tomorrow job! The friends have a dog - lurcher - so moves quite fast, AF seemed to be able to keep up once I'd found the AF mode switch(!) not something the X-Pro would excel at. Had a play with he panorama function too and from the rear screen, it looks a lot less banded than the baby Xs' results. Will post a few once uploaded and resized.

OK, bought one. I own several cameras and my 'main' is my 5d iii, with X100s and LX7 a close joint 2nd. My favourite 35mm cameras are my FE/FE2 closely followed by an FM3A. I've longed for a digital FE for...well, for ever it seems and the XT-1 seems to be just that!

Know what, I can't wait.

I wonder how much use the '100' will get or whether that will go now...

OK, bought one. I own several cameras and my 'main' is my 5d iii, with X100s and LX7 a close joint 2nd. My favourite 35mm cameras are my FE/FE2 closely followed by an FM3A. I've longed for a digital FE for...well, for ever it seems and the XT-1 seems to be just that!

Know what, I can't wait.

I wonder how much use the '100' will get or whether that will go now...

Yep. I'm wondering about my X100, and I wish I could get the Nikon Df out of my head.

Well, I'm not a Nikon digital user. I have held one in my hand but..I don't know, just didnlt seem right, seemed neither one thing or another and it seemd a bit glass half empty rather than half full, if you know what I mean. But if I had stacks of Nikon glass i may see this differently!

Yep. I'm wondering about my X100, and I wish I could get the Nikon Df out of my head.

Did you handle a DF? I did. Tried both my Nikon 85mm F1.4G, Sigma 35mm F1.4 Art and Nikon 50mm F1.8 G and the 50mm was the perfect match, the other 2 made didn't balance well and the camera was front heavy. I dread to think what a 24-70mm F2.8 or even the 70-200mm F2.8 would feel like. No wonder Nikon is selling them body only or with the 50mm

I leaned my trade on Nikon SLRs in the 80s at RAF Cosford at the Tri Service Photographic School, I have used pretty much every model from the FE, FM2, F2 - F4s. I was quite excited about the launch of the Df, having read just about everything I could get my hands on. I have genuinely enjoyed using Nikons ever since. I have always missed the functionality of the Nikon top plate, hated the thumb wheel but I adapted to enjoy digital photography to the point of never wanting to step into a darkroom again to develop an image. I got may hands on a Df late last year in Dubai and could have picked one up tax free then and there. I had the cash on me to do so, and broker an even better deal. The first surprise was how much larger the Df was compared to the FM2, I wondered why it was necesary to put a tiny LCD screen on the top plate. It felt very cheap and plasticly, It has nothing in common with the SLRs of the 80s and does not feel like one to me. No battery grip either. I had read everything I could about this camera but having seen it I was really disappointed and felt a little cheated. Nikon could have done so much better. I walked away to the disappointment of the seller who offered it to me for cash for a very good price. A few weeks later I found out out about the X-T1. I was already an owner of the X-Pro 1 and X10 and being a fan of the Fuji X Series knew this was the one for me and placed a pre-order without even seining it. I have had the X-T1 for about a month now and I'm still finding new things out about it and i'm very happy with it. For me, it was definitely the right move. I'm still hanging on to my heavy FF gear (belt and braces) but to be honest, since I have become an 'X Series' convert they have seldom seen the light of day.

Nikon DF does get mixed reviews:
http://blog.mingthein.com/2013/12/24/review-2013-nikon-df/ http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/digital-confusion-with-the.html

What Digital Camera also said the XT-1 was closest to a retro slr in use:

"Once again, both the Nikon Df and Fujifilm X-T1 are great cameras and I'm sure each will prove to be very popular with enthusiast photographers. But for those looking for a retro shooting experience akin to that of film SLR of yore, the preference would be the X-T1.

The size and shape of the Fuji camera are closer than the Nikon Df to those of a film SLR, and anyone who likes to manually focus will love the split-image focusing."
http://www.whatdigitalcamera.com/roundups/camera-comparison/542437/1/fujifilm-x-t1-vs-nikon-df.html

Last edited:
I'd be a bit careful with Df reviews on the net, the What Camera one seems unbiased as does DPR and Steve Huff but its IMHO fallen afoul of a lot of commentators(that Mein Thein review for example) who play up to a mirrorless audience who resent "old man Nikon" from stepping on their turf.

Handling wise to me the main differences seem to be that the Fuji commits to the classic SLR controls more whilst the Nikon doesn't fully move away from a modern DSLR retaining the mode dial and plate LCD. You couldn't be able to see the aperture of a G type lens with the camera turned off but then again you wouldn't be able to see the aperture of say the Fuji 18-55mm either with the camera off OR from above with it turned on as the dials unmarked.

Whilst the Nikon might be a bit further from a classic SLR to me it actuals looks like it might handle better "from above". Not only can you see the aperture with every lens but if your shooting aperture or shutter priority you can also get a meter readout via the LCD, with the Fuji you'd need to be altering settings and checking the back screen or EVF.

In terms of viewfinder I'm guessing the Nikon offers faster AF with better tracking and better battery life. The Fuji offers more widely spaced AF though the viewfinder and a greater range of manual focus aids compared to the Nikon's standard digital rangefinder. I'm guessing the viewfinder difference is why the Fuji doesn't have a locking composure comp dial like the Nikon, you can get a preview of exposure with your eye to the finder where as with the Nikon your reviewing images on the back screen.

The Fuji seems like it would balance better with the higher end zooms from that system where as the Df doesn't look like it would handle that well with F/2.8 zooms, much better suited to primes, especially the recent F/1.8's.

Last edited:
Anyone using legacy glass on their XT-1? Interested in how accurate / usable Fuji's focus peaking and split screen implementation is. Mind you, given what I've read about its EVF, they might not be necessary for accurate manual focusing anyway!

Cheers,

Simon.

Did you handle a DF? I did. Tried both my Nikon 85mm F1.4G, Sigma 35mm F1.4 Art and Nikon 50mm F1.8 G and the 50mm was the perfect match, the other 2 made didn't balance well and the camera was front heavy. I dread to think what a 24-70mm F2.8 or even the 70-200mm F2.8 would feel like. No wonder Nikon is selling them body only or with the 50mm

Handled one briefly, before the X-T1 purchase. I need to be happy with what I've got.
Regularly use Nikon F2 film bodies, guess that's why the Df is on my radar.
Still have D3/D700 if need be.

Whilst the Nikon might be a bit further from a classic SLR to me it actuals looks like it might handle better "from above". Not only can you see the aperture with every lens but if your shooting aperture or shutter priority you can also get a meter readout via the LCD, with the Fuji you'd need to be altering settings and checking the back screen or EVF.

I really think the top plate LCD screen is superfluous on the Df. presumably you would want to check your composition / focus through the viewfinder or LCD, in which case the metering information is viewable. If you really wanted to work this way, on the X-T1 the LCD is articulated, left up the LCD panel from the bottom, then when you look down on it from the top, not only will you see the aperture information on the lens, the speed dial, exposure +/- EV and ISO dials, but you will be able to check not only the composition, focus and view the metered information.

Incidentally, much has been made of the battery life on the X-T1 but from recent experiance, I'm finding my batteries last easily for a full day with almost continuous use and often lasting a day or two when I switch it off regularly. Although the battery grip is very comfortable at the moment I'm finding I only need to use one battery in the grip (none in the body). I keep meaning to use two batteries to see how long they both last but I have to say the battery usage isn't bad at all in balance.

I really think the top plate LCD screen is superfluous on the Df. presumably you would want to check your composition / focus through the viewfinder or LCD, in which case the metering information is viewable. If you really wanted to work this way, on the X-T1 the LCD is articulated, left up the LCD panel from the bottom, then when you look down on it from the top, not only will you see the aperture information on the lens, the speed dial, exposure +/- EV and ISO dials, but you will be able to check not only the composition, focus and view the metered information.

Incidentally, much has been made of the battery life on the X-T1 but from recent experiance, I'm finding my batteries last easily for a full day with almost continuous use and often lasting a day or two when I switch it off regularly. Although the battery grip is very comfortable at the moment I'm finding I only need to use one battery in the grip (none in the body). I keep meaning to use two batteries to see how long they both last but I have to say the battery usage isn't bad at all in balance.

I use 2 batteries with the grip attached. Original Fuji that came with the camera and a third party one from Amazon. I am finding that the non Fuji battery last longer than the Fuji one

Anyone using legacy glass on their XT-1? Interested in how accurate / usable Fuji's focus peaking and split screen implementation is. Mind you, given what I've read about its EVF, they might not be necessary for accurate manual focusing anyway!

Cheers,

Simon.

I m not a big fan of manual focus, I use it when necessary only. Having used many Nikon and Sony DSLRs and Sony NEX6 I have to say that manual focus on the XT-1 is the best.

Back