The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Been tempted by a XT-1 for a while now and so close to pulling the trigger, but firstly after a bit of info on lenses.

Im after one for a lighter setup for landscapes and just general travel photography, love my D810 but it is a heavy beast in my advancing years planning to run both systems together.

I have virtually decided on a 50-200 and probably a 56mm for portraits but undecided what after a the choice is between
the 16-55mm or the 18-56 swaying towards the 16-55 is it much better?
Then its either the 10-24 or especially if I get the 16-55 do I go for the 14mm?

Any thoughts experience on the above or any other choices would be appreciated. :)

#4 reminded me of the shot posted here the other day. Football Factory style. :LOL:

Tbh i can see the attraction of having another body with the 16-55 on it along with the 50-140. Having said that, the 18-55 and 55-200 would be just as good. And lighter. And cheaper.

Thanks George. Really enjoyed just wandering around in my own little world. :D

Think i need another few memory cards so i can shoot in RAW and another battery. Shot about 1800 photos today with no issues. One completely empty battery and one was still going strong. Just for piece of mind i guess.

Also need to hone my skills and techniques. Was a bit rusty for sure!

Lol, funny to see some familiar names in here. Well I just heard the XT1s due an AF firmware upgrade, something that always intrigues me, but sell me the XT1, how's it compared with the EM1?
A couple of you know I favour longer focal length and shallow depth of field and always of mobile targets, like my kids or birds in flight oh and macro but I've not got back into it on m43 for some reason.

Last edited:
Lol, funny to see some familiar names in here. Well I just heard the XT1s due an AF firmware upgrade, something that always intrigues me, but sell me the XT1, how's it compared with the EM1?
A couple of you know I favour longer focal length and shallow depth of field and always of mobile targets, like my kids or birds in flight oh and macro but I've not got back into it on m43 for some reason.

Well you'll lose out on the longer focal lengths but gain on the shallow dof. The new firmware looks good for sure. Looking forward to it being released and having a play.

Ah, that could sort it out for my needs, cheers, saved me a packet in GAS tax :)

Lol, you bugger B-)

Now I'm going to have to find out how they compare now in current firmware... Damn ;-)

Been tempted by a XT-1 for a while now and so close to pulling the trigger, but firstly after a bit of info on lenses.

Im after one for a lighter setup for landscapes and just general travel photography, love my D810 but it is a heavy beast in my advancing years planning to run both systems together.

I have virtually decided on a 50-200 and probably a 56mm for portraits but undecided what after a the choice is between
the 16-55mm or the 18-56 swaying towards the 16-55 is it much better?
Then its either the 10-24 or especially if I get the 16-55 do I go for the 14mm?

Any thoughts experience on the above or any other choices would be appreciated. :)

I've never tried the 18-55 but I hear it's good. However the 16-55 has had awesome write ups and I've had one for a few days. IQ and focusing wise it's brilliant my only quibble is the sheer size on the XT1 but most folk probably wouldn't mind.

I've never tried the 18-55 but I hear it's good. However the 16-55 has had awesome write ups and I've had one for a few days. IQ and focusing wise it's brilliant my only quibble is the sheer size on the XT1 but most folk probably wouldn't mind.

I use this combination with large metal grip and it makes a big difference.

I found my 35mm to be soft at 1.4 so sold it. It's quite noisy when focusing and is a little bit slower than the 23.

I reckon you had a duff copy matey, mine is pin sharp even wide open. Embarrasses my Zeiss lenses even! Annoyingly slow though at times :(
I had the same problem with mine soft wide open, even when stepped down a little. Sold it on ebay. I quite like the look of the new 35mm f2 though :)

Great set David and your right, the wide shots are ace :)

Thank you.

Just seen that the XT-1 kit with the 18-135 is only £370 dearer than the body and you get a free grip as well, not a fan of super zooms but what is the 18-135 like?
It's a good lens - sharp, good IS, reasonably fast focus. I like mine - always happy to have it on the camera. The weather sealing is a big plus too!

Know what you mean love my D810 but just after a lighter option

Yeah! Its the weight of the D800 that is the downer, even size wise theres isn't a huge amount between a D800 & Tamron 24-70 f2.8 v the XT-1 with the 16-55 f2.8, especially if the grip is added to the XT1.

I knew it would never replace the D800 and I'll see how I get on with using the XT1 for the type of shots I do, I knew it was going to be a gamble maybe a bit of a punt forking out for the XT1 & 16-55 having not seen a lot about the 16-55 but I wouldn't be surprised if the lens gets moved on and swapped for some of the primes (14, 23, 56) and the XT1 kept soley for travel as contrary to what I thought I am missing the huge gap between the 16mp of the XT and the 36mp of the Nikon.

For those who report that the 35mm is soft wide open, I've attached a jpeg SOOC. Not artistic merit and ignore the guy lugging a heavy gripped 70D around. He was quite impressed with my tiny little Fuji.

Yeah! Its the weight of the D800 that is the downer, even size wise theres isn't a huge amount between a D800 & Tamron 24-70 f2.8 v the XT-1 with the 16-55 f2.8, especially if the grip is added to the XT1.

I knew it would never replace the D800 and I'll see how I get on with using the XT1 for the type of shots I do, I knew it was going to be a gamble maybe a bit of a punt forking out for the XT1 & 16-55 having not seen a lot about the 16-55 but I wouldn't be surprised if the lens gets moved on and swapped for some of the primes (14, 23, 56) and the XT1 kept soley for travel as contrary to what I thought I am missing the huge gap between the 16mp of the XT and the 36mp of the Nikon.

Shouldve kept the D750 order ;)

I have found the 35mm to be soft and strangely enough, I must be the only person who doesn't mind the focusing either!

Panning with the 23 is quite a different experience to using the 50-140. The LM's really make a difference.

How did you get on, generally? I've got so relaxed with it when people mention things like EVF blackout I forget that such a thing even exist.

For those who report that the 35mm is soft wide open, I've attached a jpeg SOOC. Not artistic merit and ignore the guy lugging a heavy gripped 70D around. He was quite impressed with my tiny little Fuji.

The 35mm is far from soft, the various copies I had were very sharp wide open.
You obviously haven't shot with the one I had or Davids :)

No one was saying they're all soft, I was just responding to Davids post regarding how his was soft wide open, so was mine. I was disappointed in it but it is one I will be looking to replace in the near future

I never really shot circuit stuff so i can't say it's been a massive change for me. I enjoyed it and the shots it nailed i am very happy with. Certainly a lot better than anything i have ever shot before, that's for sure! Think i might go to Oulton for the BTCC next, what's that circuit like for photography? Only ever been as a spectator.

I don't think that the lenses in this comparison are the same but on the whole to me this is quite a difference and what pushed me out of canon DSLR's and into CSC. I do realise that what's significant is a personal choice but to me this sort of difference is significant, and I would never use a grip.

I don't think that the lenses in this comparison are the same but on the whole to me this is quite a difference and what pushed me out of canon DSLR's and into CSC. I do realise that what's significant is a personal choice but to me this sort of difference is significant, and I would never use a grip.

Same here :)

This is a closer comparison (D800 has the 17-35mm which is the same length as the Tammie 24-70/2.8 and the X-T1 has the 16-55/2.8)

View attachment 38106

Not quite so clear cut although the D800 combo is taller and heavier of course :)

Certainly heavier yes and larger, I've had the battery grip on the XT1 As the 16-55 doesn't feel balanced without it on the body.

Last edited:
Back