The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

After some help please..

What’s the “lowest” in the line-up / most reasonably priced body with a fully articulating screen please ? I attend lots of car meets but have arthritis in my knees and so find getting up from a crouching position increasingly hard and painful. If something has IBIS too, that would be a bonus but not a deal breaker..

I love my xt20 for its size but I miss the screen of my e-m1 mk2

thank you

After some help please..

What’s the “lowest” in the line-up / most reasonably priced body with a fully articulating screen please ? I attend lots of car meets but have arthritis in my knees and so find getting up from a crouching position increasingly hard and painful. If something has IBIS too, that would be a bonus but not a deal breaker..

thank you

X-S10 would fit your needs (but is £750-£800 s/h (dealer prices))

After some help please..

thank you
Lower budget the X-T2 doesn't have an articulating screen, or IBIS, but does have a 3 way tilt screen which is useful for shooting from both high or low viewpoints. It has the same sensor/processor as the X-T20.

Anyone using the XS-20? It ticks a lot of boxes for me. So a trade in might be in order.

Last edited:
Nice. I am also tempted to upgrade my 18-55 to the 16-80, for the WR and extra range both wide and telephoto - I really liked the Canon 24-105f4 on my old 5D. I'll likely trade in/sell the X-T2 kit and get an X-T5 and 16-80 kit.

Nice. I am also tempted to upgrade my 18-55 to the 16-80, for the WR and extra range both wide and telephoto - I really liked the Canon 24-105f4 on my old 5D. I'll likely trade in/sell the X-T2 kit and get an X-T5 and 16-80 kit.

I grabbed the Tamron 17-70 a while ago for the same reasons.

Honestly, I haven't noticed a difference at the wide end, and rarely go to long end. I find I still use it at "normal" focal lengths, but if I need longer i swap to the 70-300.

Still, the weather sealing, constant 2.8, and solid OIS were worth the upgrade.

Edit: I should say, I ended up keeping the 18-55 as well as the tamron, because the size of the 18-55 just can't be beat.

Last edited:
There's no aperture ring, so ruled that out.

I bought a secondhand 16-80 to use as my travel lens when just taking one lens and body. Love my 16-55 but the 16-80 is quite a bit smaller and lighter and the extra reach does come in useful.

Edit: I should say, I ended up keeping the 18-55 as well as the tamron, because the size of the 18-55 just can't be beat.

I used to carry a EM-10ii in a small pouch with a 17mm F1.8 and 45mm F1.8 and think it was a nice small capable bit of kit.

I rather belatedly realised the the X-T30 with 18-55 can just fit in the same pouch. Doesn't offer the IBIS of the MFT setup but is more flexible and the sensor is a bit more capable in terms of ISO. It's become my new lightweight grab and go setup.

Some cracking images in here as usual, personally I still think Fuji shooters are a cut above, you have to work a little harder at times but they don't moan and whine about their gear , they go out and shoot, the results speak for themselves.

Last edited:
nod to David @Mr Perceptive @imattersuk
I've been taking the x100 original on some dog walks this year. Just got around to importing to my computer.
I say it too often. I need to use this camera more.

I keep saying this as well, if only the user experience was as good as later variants, there is something special about that original Bayer sensor though. I'm definitely going to make more of an effort though.

That said I used the GFX today at the Outlon Park Gold Cup, just downloading 700+ images, the most I've shot on teh GFX in one day, partway through the 3rd battery as well (but thats due to having the screen/evf running while waiting for cars!)

To me this is a really special image.
Thank you @Paulie-W for sharing.
Would love to know more how you took this.
Thank you, Jonathan (y)

It`s actually pretty easy. Just a bit fiddly.

2 shots: 1 of the top, and one of the bottom.
Then open both as layers, and manipulate one to align nicely (reduce opacity as needed, so you can see what you`re doing). Then layer mask to get rid of what you don`t want.
New layer with a gradient (chose colours etc) and set as overlay. Reduce opacity and fill as necessary.

The droplets are glycerine, as it`s not so fluid as water ;)

Once you`ve done it a couple of times, it`s easy enough, and there are lots of things you can shoot using this method.
e.g. Obviously not the wine bottle, but the glass was done using the same method.

A little splash of red by Paulie-W, on Flickr

Does anyone know of any alternatives to the fuji 18-135mm lens, ideally with a slightly longer reach?
I use mine quite a lot but often find it a little short at the long end.

Does anyone know of any alternatives to the fuji 18-135mm lens, ideally with a slightly longer reach?
I use mine quite a lot but often find it a little short at the long end.
I have a feeling you`re gonna need a second lens, unless you don`t use the wide end that much. 55-200 or 70-300, but you will still have a pretty big overlap.

I have a feeling you`re gonna need a second lens, unless you don`t use the wide end that much. 55-200 or 70-300, but you will still have a pretty big overlap.
And that's the problem - I have the 55-200 and it's not wide enough to give me what I'd like from a one-lens solution.
So many times I just want a simple camera with lens to take out.
Maybe I need to look at a fixed lens 24-200(ish) camera - do Fuji make one?

And that's the problem - I have the 55-200 and it's not wide enough to give me what I'd like from a one-lens solution.
You might need to look at Sony RX100 series.

You might need to look at Sony RX100 series.
Ha, I've just got a Sony RX10iv to try but so far, with only very limited time to play, it all seems so complicated - I like to play with knobs and dials!
I've got to rationalise my gear as it's not getting a lot of use and this morning (which to be fair is the first time I've had a chance to play with the RX10) I'm feeling that the already known Fuji way is winning..
I've not seen a RX100 but had dismissed them for being too small and fiddly for my hands.

THere is a TAmron 18-300 - might go a bit long though!

A quick question for those like @trevorbray who have had or compared both the XH2s and the XT5 bodies.
Which do you prefer for general all round photography..?
I've never held an XT series body but do so like knobs and dials rather than screens and menus.
I know it's a pretty silly question but I'm struggling with photography in general. My main camera bag is too big and heavy so it rarely gets taken out so I'm looking at something simpler and lighter that might get taken out and used more often.
I've just got a used Sony RX10iv to try but am finding the menu's too complicated.
I'm wondering if trading in my old XH1, XH2s, a couple of lenses (100-400, 10-24, 16-55, 50-140 and possibly more) and instead just getting a 75-300 and something like the 16-80 or 18-55. I have a TC to go with the 75-300 if needed for extra reach. On my recent holiday I took the XH1 and my 18-135 which was great, but extra reach would have been useful.
A trip to the nearest dealer is 40-odd miles and obviously what I need to do, but any thoughts of how the XT5 compares to the XH2s in terms of 'feel-in-the-hand and simplicity of use?

I've just reread the above and clearly I don't know what I'm asking or after - I may be trying to justify some GAS-type feelings...

@stevewestern When I had all three… my absolute favourite was the X-H2S. I’d paired the X-T5 with the lovely 18mm LM as a walkabout setup. Used it once. Much preferred the ergonomics of H2/S. mate I’ve been in your shoes. I’ve also felt disconnected from photography. I promise you new gear is rarely the answer. I keep telling myself to shoot not shop.

@stevewestern When I had all three… my absolute favourite was the X-H2S. I’d paired the X-T5 with the lovely 18mm LM as a walkabout setup. Used it once. Much preferred the ergonomics of H2/S. mate I’ve been in your shoes. I’ve also felt disconnected from photography. I promise you new gear is rarely the answer. I keep telling myself to shoot not shop.
Thank you Trevor. I know shopping isn't the answer to loosing my mojo but I can add in health reasons to the mix - I just can't carry and use what I've got. It'll either be the Sony rx10iv, a simpler fuji system or possibly (as you suggested a few days ago) even a sony rx100.
I'm loathe to go too small sensor-wise for the IQ loss, but not taking any pictures of a total IQ loss!
I will go to a dealer at some point to see how I like the xt5 but won't be doing anything rash or in a hurry. Thanks for your reply..

A quick question for those like @trevorbray who have had or compared both the XH2s and the XT5 bodies.
Which do you prefer for general all round photography..?
I've never held an XT series body but do so like knobs and dials rather than screens and menus.
I know it's a pretty silly question but I'm struggling with photography in general. My main camera bag is too big and heavy so it rarely gets taken out so I'm looking at something simpler and lighter that might get taken out and used more often.
I've just got a used Sony RX10iv to try but am finding the menu's too complicated.
I'm wondering if trading in my old XH1, XH2s, a couple of lenses (100-400, 10-24, 16-55, 50-140 and possibly more) and instead just getting a 75-300 and something like the 16-80 or 18-55. I have a TC to go with the 75-300 if needed for extra reach. On my recent holiday I took the XH1 and my 18-135 which was great, but extra reach would have been useful.
A trip to the nearest dealer is 40-odd miles and obviously what I need to do, but any thoughts of how the XT5 compares to the XH2s in terms of 'feel-in-the-hand and simplicity of use?

I've just reread the above and clearly I don't know what I'm asking or after - I may be trying to justify some GAS-type feelings...
I am also debating between these two, for me both seem to have their pros and cons - I'd but an "X-T5S" in an instant.

Have you considered doing one of the free Fuji 48 loans to see how you get on with the X-T5?

Thank you Trevor. I know shopping isn't the answer to loosing my mojo but I can add in health reasons to the mix - I just can't carry and use what I've got. It'll either be the Sony rx10iv, a simpler fuji system or possibly (as you suggested a few days ago) even a sony rx100.
I'm loathe to go too small sensor-wise for the IQ loss, but not taking any pictures of a total IQ loss!
I will go to a dealer at some point to see how I like the xt5 but won't be doing anything rash or in a hurry. Thanks for your reply..

Although I'm still on an X-T3, I tried the X-H series and preferred the "analogue" controls of the X-T bodies. The X-T5 would be my choice. And I moved to Fuji because of the weight, my 7D2 & Sigma 150-600S was just too much to carry, especially if I had the 6D & 70-200 f2.8 in the bag as well. The T3 with 100-400 + 1.4TC is much lighter.

I'd like to try a T5 & the XF 150-600.......

@stevewestern
Have you thought about renting one from the Fuji store? At least that way, you'll get a feel of it.

I am also debating between these two, for me both seem to have their pros and cons - I'd but an "X-T5S" in an instant.

Have you considered doing one of the free Fuji 48 loans to see how you get on with the X-T5?

Although I'm still on an X-T3, I tried the X-H series and preferred the "analogue" controls of the X-T bodies. The X-T5 would be my choice. And I moved to Fuji because of the weight, my 7D2 & Sigma 150-600S was just too much to carry, especially if I had the 6D & 70-200 f2.8 in the bag as well. The T3 with 100-400 + 1.4TC is much lighter.

I'd like to try a T5 & the XF 150-600.......
I'm an impatient person at times, and have just got a train to Plymouth to have an XT5 fondle.. LCE also have a used Tamron 18-300 in store just in case, although the weight and size of the Fuji 75-300 along with the 18-55 kit lens seems like it might be fine weight-wise and a more flexible option.
I've also got a few rough trade in prices for my (unseen) gear.
I'm not going to rush into anything but the XT5 feels fine too me.
I don't know anything about the 48 hour loan scheme so will look into it.
Thank you all for your replies, very helpful - even you @trevorbray...!

I'm an impatient person at times, and have just got a train to Plymouth to have an XT5 fondle.. LCE also have a used Tamron 18-300 in store just in case, although the weight and size of the Fuji 75-300 along with the 18-55 kit lens seems like it might be fine weight-wise and a more flexible option.
I've also got a few rough trade in prices for my (unseen) gear.
I'm not going to rush into anything but the XT5 feels fine too me.
I don't know anything about the 48 hour loan scheme so will look into it.
Thank you all for your replies, very helpful - even you @trevorbray...!

Sweepstake on what you come home with :ROFLMAO: if you have the restraint of @trevorbray it will be most of the shop :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back