The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Or buy a second body………..
This ^^^

I know I'm talking 50ny in a Fuji thread..... But I picked up an A7Riii for it's extra features & kept my old A7 because I've had it years, I've done a lot with it, and it wasn't really worth a great deal..... Having two bodies is nice! Yes, there is a bit of extra weight & space, but generally I think it is worth it. I go A7Riii & 35GM plus the A7 & 85/1.8 or 70-180/2.8 - I'd rather carry the extra 500g or so of the A7 than have to keep swapping lenses. Plus, in my situation no zoom is going to cover 35mm at f/1.4 & 85mm at f/1.8 :)

Appreciate the input but really the goal here is less stuff, not more stuff. I do not need encouraging to buy more stuff!

Realistically if I’m going for a hike, or I’m on holiday I’m not going to be lugging around two bodies with a lens on each. Typically I found it irritating because I was with somebody and it’s annoying for them to hang about whilst you swap lenses.

But the main issue was having the wrong lens on at the wrong moment, and yes if I was going out on my own dedicating an afternoon to photography then a second body is certainly one option, but not something I’m looking to entertain in the immediate future…

Also…maybe somewhat controversially - I’m really not bothered about aperture. Seeing as the majority of lenses seem to be sharpest around f8* and I’m just not fussed about chasing apertures below f2.8.

Unless someone can enlighten me about what I’m missing; but for what I’m generally snapping (wildlife, landscapes, mountain bikes) super-fast lenses aren’t a priority…

*according to some YouTubers who have tried more lenses than me

Last edited:
When you are shooting MTB in the woods, it can get quite dark, even during the day, so I prefer f.2/8 or faster lenses.

If I am not on a specific photography trip, I decide on a lens before I set off, and just keep that lens on, more often than not it is the lens built into the X100V. I may miss some shots, but if I am not there specifically for photography it doesn't matter. I can usually plan to return with the correct lens, and crucially the time to concentrate on the image.

But the main issue was having the wrong lens on at the wrong moment, and yes if I was going out on my own dedicating an afternoon to photography then a second body is certainly one option, but not something I’m looking to entertain in the immediate future…

FOMO is a terrible thing, and FLA (Focal Length Anxiety) is a particular affliction that many photographers suffer from. IMO it is much more rewarding to work with you have, rather than take a bag full of kit, and then have the issues with re-configuring. Whilst I appreciate the flexibility of a superzoom, the reality (IMO) is as follows:-

Superzooms are very compromised lens designs, so optically they are not the best lenses out there. Anything over a 3x zoom often sacifices IQ for flexibility,

Many become lazy photographers, relying on the zoom rather than working the scene.

Years ago I carried a bag full of kit (either a selection of zooms, or a large bag of primes), but these days I often take one of two fixed focal length , I feel that I'm a better photographer because of it (and I ceryainly enjoy it more)

If I am not on a specific photography trip, I decide on a lens before I set off, and just keep that lens on, more often than not it is the lens built into the X100V. I may miss some shots, but if I am not there specifically for photography it doesn't matter. I can usually plan to return with the correct lens, and crucially the time to concentrate on the image.

Absolutely ^^^ usually one camera/one fixed lens, unless its a photo trip when its usually 2 cameras and 2 fixed lenses!!

Also…maybe somewhat controversially - I’m really not bothered about aperture. Seeing as the majority of lenses seem to be sharpest around f8* and I’m just not fussed about chasing apertures below f2.8.

Unless someone can enlighten me about what I’m missing; but for what I’m generally snapping (wildlife, landscapes, mountain bikes) super-fast lenses aren’t a priority…

Shooting at F8 at 300mm requires excellent light or fantastic stabilisation in order to keep the shutter speed at a sensible value to get a sharp image, this may result in the ISO being bumped considerably, resulting in more noise in the image, so not only is the resultant image optically compromised but its noisy as well.

Many of us go down these sort of paths on our photography journey, and sometimes its an itch that just needs scratching. Whilst I can appreciate the desire to capture every possibility, I feel that this stops you enjoying the moment. If I see something that I don't have the kit for, I view it, watch it and bank it in my brain photobank, remember to enjoy the moment, you don't have to record everything.

We are all dfiferent, but in 10 years time you are likely to have similar views............................ just saying, and hopefully providing advice that will save you some money..... but I get that itchs need scratching!

Although a lot of digital gear has passed through my hands (at one point I had 4 x X-series bodies and 13 interchangeable lenses), these days I only own 3 digital cameras and have 4 native AF lenses between them - and 2 of the bodies have fixed focal lengths physically attcahed! I don't feel I'm missing out.

That's where we differ then. I typically shoot below f/2.8, quite often near to f/1.4 and very, very rarely go as small as f/8. I just don't find the need to.

I would have thought a fast aperture would be ideal for wildlife and sports (where you also need a fast shutter speed) as to keep the ISO as low as possible.

I am, of course, still learning it all. I think in most scenarios I’ve been in so far, there has enough light that the shutter speed has been high enough even at middling apertures.

Having said that, typically I am shooting at the fastest a lens will go, I’m not consciously going for middling apertures. I will admit that I am just sort of fiddling until it looks right in the view finder, and a lot of times I’m not entirely sure what’s happening!

Many of us go down these sort of paths on our photography journey, and sometimes its an itch that just needs scratching. Whilst I can appreciate the desire to capture every possibility, I feel that this stops you enjoying the moment. If I see something that I don't have the kit for, I view it, watch it and bank it in my brain photobank, remember to enjoy the moment, you don't have to record everything.
I am certainly guilty of this (my wife will attest to it!) but my thinking is if I’m on a nature/wildlife holiday and am recording for memories more than anything else, it’d be nice not to have to faff with loads of lenses and cameras - just have what I need, right there.

I can’t imagine using a super zoom for a proper project, photo trip or professional work for sure. But as you say, quite possibly I just need to scratch the all-in-one itch to see if that works for me.

I am, of course, still learning it all. I think in most scenarios I’ve been in so far, there has enough light that the shutter speed has been high enough even at middling apertures.

Having said that, typically I am shooting at the fastest a lens will go, I’m not consciously going for middling apertures. I will admit that I am just sort of fiddling until it looks right in the view finder, and a lot of times I’m not entirely sure what’s happening!

I am certainly guilty of this (my wife will attest to it!) but my thinking is if I’m on a nature/wildlife holiday and am recording for memories more than anything else, it’d be nice not to have to faff with loads of lenses and cameras - just have what I need, right there.

I can’t imagine using a super zoom for a proper project, photo trip or professional work for sure. But as you say, quite possibly I just need to scratch the all-in-one itch to see if that works for me.
Could you rent one?

Thank you for all likes on my recent posts. As a hobbyist it’s always appreciated having a response to captures.
I’ve recently brought a used 8/16 lens. It’s a beast and I’m not sure my old man arms are up to carrying it. However the quality of images are very good, I love wide angle, but it’s also great for close-up captures of my sculptures. Very happy, plus I get a work-out every time I use it.

Probably cheaper to buy used, and sell on later - you’ll lose some money but gain in flexibility- ie its there when you want it - that is until you’ve sold it, then it isn’t :ROFLMAO:
Fair point.

FOMO is a terrible thing, and FLA (Focal Length Anxiety) is a particular affliction that many photographers suffer from. IMO it is much more rewarding to work with you have, rather than take a bag full of kit, and then have the issues with re-configuring.

I'm coming to realise this. I virtually never take my backpack out with all my gear in it these days; I much prefer my small Domke bag over one shoulder with one or two lenses.
I'm going to Kentwell Hall tomorrow with my wife, and I think I'm just going to take my 23mm lens. It does help that I've been there with my 16-80mm before I guess, but even so I'm fairly happy with the thought that there might be some stuff I can't do. I went to Audley End with my 35mm a couple of months ago, and the simplicity of pointing & shooting far outweighed the drawbacks of missing a couple of shots.

I'm coming to realise this. I virtually never take my backpack out with all my gear in it these days; I much prefer my small Domke bag over one shoulder with one or two lenses.
I'm going to Kentwell Hall tomorrow with my wife, and I think I'm just going to take my 23mm lens. It does help that I've been there with my 16-80mm before I guess, but even so I'm fairly happy with the thought that there might be some stuff I can't do. I went to Audley End with my 35mm a couple of months ago, and the simplicity of pointing & shooting far outweighed the drawbacks of missing a couple of shots.

Couldn't agree more with this. Exactly my thinking most of the time......

Except today at a car meet ...... FF 35mm and 85mm combo ;)

I can’t remember the last time I used anything but the 27mm.
Keep thinking I might take the 16-80 out, but didn’t bother in the end.
I have a cruise coming up later in the year, a few old Mediterranean ports, I might invest in an 18mm as I found recently in Oxford that the 27mm was just not quite wide enough at times

Unless I am just out for a motorcycle ride I will always have 3 bodies, out in the landscape 3 X-T2s;

Three X-T2s.JPG

For urban/travel usually 3 Leica M9s;

02 M9 Travel Set-1020043 PS Adj upload.JPG

My rideout kit is just an X100T, CPL spare battery & SD Card in a small Domke Belt Pouch.

Domke 2 upload.JPG

For specific Landscape shoots I will take either my GFX 50Ss or my Bronica SQ-Ai MF film kit (and an X-T2 with the 16-55 on).

FOMO, FLA not me Guv. :D:D

Last edited:
Has anyone used the XC 35mm f2 ? I currently have the Viltrox 33 f1.4 but was wondering about changing it for the smaller and cheaper of the 2 F2 Fuji lenses.

I don’t have any WR lenses so that’s no issue, it’s more of a size/weight change from the Viltrox

No, but I am keen to get it for my son, as he keeps borrowing my 35f1.4.

Has anyone used the XC 35mm f2 ? I currently have the Viltrox 33 f1.4 but was wondering about changing it for the smaller and cheaper of the 2 F2 Fuji lenses.

I don’t have any WR lenses so that’s no issue, it’s more of a size/weight change from the Viltrox
I haven't used it but I believe it's optically the same as the XF version, just made of plastic and with no aperture ring.

Right guys, haven't seen a specific post about the 40mp sensor and older legacy and third party lenses. I know there is a recommendation list from Fuji but was wondering on everyone else's findings.
So far with the T5 the biggest surprise to me is the 35 1.4 which renders beautifully, well in the centre and not sure of the corners as I rarely check them. 23 1.4 pretty much the same as it has been on my T3 and T4. 16-55 exceptional as it always has been on all my bodies. Shamed to say I haven't tried my 50-140 yet but expecting same as 16-55. The 56 1.2 I find a bit hit and miss, very bloomy and appears quite softer wide open unlike on the T4. The Viltrox 27 1.2 sharp as a sharp thing!
Just wondering if anyone else had any surprises or disappointments with any of the lenses at all?

Right guys, haven't seen a specific post about the 40mp sensor and older legacy and third party lenses. I know there is a recommendation list from Fuji but was wondering on everyone else's findings.
So far with the T5 the biggest surprise to me is the 35 1.4 which renders beautifully, well in the centre and not sure of the corners as I rarely check them. 23 1.4 pretty much the same as it has been on my T3 and T4. 16-55 exceptional as it always has been on all my bodies. Shamed to say I haven't tried my 50-140 yet but expecting same as 16-55. The 56 1.2 I find a bit hit and miss, very bloomy and appears quite softer wide open unlike on the T4. The Viltrox 27 1.2 sharp as a sharp thing!
Just wondering if anyone else had any surprises or disappointments with any of the lenses at all?

How have you found the move from T3 to T5? I'm looking to do the same, but haven't been hands on with one yet. They're apparently more "plasticy", is it a noticeable thing or is that just people trying to make a problem of the whole "Made in China" thing?

How have you found the move from T3 to T5? I'm looking to do the same, but haven't been hands on with one yet. They're apparently more "plasticy", is it a noticeable thing or is that just people trying to make a problem of the whole "Made in China" thing?
Having put 40k or so clicks on my T3 and 18k on my T5 since April 23, the "plasticy made in China" thing really isn't something I've ever really noticed or worried about. I don't baby my cameras so they get a bit bashed up over time and the T5 doesn't appear to have fared any worse than the T3.
In fact, the T3 did need a new mainboard (under warrenty) due to battery drain, I've had nothing so far that would prompt me to send the T5 back (jinxed it now haven't I...)

T5 is obviously a league ahead of the T3 with respect to the Eye A/F and the increase in battery life is well worth it.

I have that lens and like it a lot. It's a tad wider than I usually like to shoot my street photos, so most of the shots I've taken with it are only on my hard drives. But I have uploaded two of them to Flickr.

Melt the Walls by Garry Knight, on Flickr

Tipan Tapan by Garry Knight, on Flickr

Mate dropped his WA black converter yesterday,I’ve put a wanted ad up for him,if anyone sees one before me would you mind giving me the nod. Cheers.

Build quality is not quite the same to be honest, for instance my exp comp dial doesn't sit level with the numbers and the line and the feel is not quite the same as the T3. But the sensor and the image quality to me is way better for cropping and sharpness as long as the image is sharp and well exposed. Also battery life is amazing even compared to my T4.

Last edited:

I have had various Fuji cameras, some made in China and some in Japan. I have noticed no difference in build quality on any of them.
Nor would I expect any difference, as they both rely on the same supply chains.

The Chinese manufacturing is now world class in every way.

Unfortunately those brands who set the standards, tolerances and quality requirements often prioritise cost well above quality when they place orders with them, and get exactly what they pay for.

Top technical brands in all fields including phones, communication equipment, and cameras are now sourced in China. For both the highest quality production and price.

Back