The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Anybody had a Fuji and a Meike Battery grip? Any real difference? (other than the £25)?
Yes, with my X-T1 a good while back. The battery kept dropping out. Sent it back. In fairness, they acknowledged the problem and said it would be fixed in the future.

Yes, with my X-T1 a good while back. The battery kept dropping out. Sent it back. In fairness, they acknowledged the problem and said it would be fixed in the future.
I had a meike grip for my canon that haf the same problem...

Hoping to join the X-T1 club next week, can't wait!

That's good to hear Peter, I hope you've filled in your application form correctly and paid the appropriate fee.:D:D

George.

Acros is awesome.

C.D. by Alan Jones, on Flickr

Cliched Urbex shots in Mono with a fisheye are less awesome, but meh...

SMK by Alan Jones, on Flickr

Bendy by Alan Jones, on Flickr

These I like very much Alan, bags of bite to them, good contrast but still with a full range of tones. That Acros setting sure is good by the looks of it, these could virtually pass for film shots.(y)

George.

I expect some of you folk have already had a look, but in case you haven't then there sure is a "Glowing" review about the X-T2 etc in this weeks "Amateur Photographer" mag.(y)

George.

These I like very much Alan, bags of bite to them, good contrast but still with a full range of tones. That Acros setting sure is good by the looks of it, these could virtually pass for film shots.(y)

George.

Cheers, used the +4 setting for highlights and then nudged them up a bit more again in LR There is masses of dynamic range in this thing. You're not wrong about passing for film either, they've done a very good job of getting a filmy look. By coincidence I posted on facebook some pics of the dog with Acros, and the next post was one of those 'your memories on facebook' things with film pics (on APX mind) of the same dog and they were strikingly similar in appearance, if it wasn't for the dust spots you'd be hard pushed to tell they'd come from a different shooting session.

Some help please guys. Where in the settings is it that I can change it so the lens has manual focus override? On my xt1 if hold the shutter button half way then move the focus ring it goes straight into manual focus with peaking.

I can't locate where you pick up the application form.......Lol Not sure if I'll be accepted into the club (?).

:)

Just send a signed but otherwise blank cheque and a copy of your most recent bank statement to me (address supplied by PM on request) and I'll send you the required paperwork. ALL other means of obtaining such paperwork are scams and should be avoided as well as reported to me in writing to the same address... :whistle:

Thanks for the heads up guys. I am,of course, more likely to find Elvis alive and well and roaming around Tottenham Court Road than I am of finding an X-T2 but I'm hopeful someone may have a demo model to pick up and get a feel for so I can place a pre-order.

How does it fare body wise to the X-T1? Will it be a good barometer for expected size/weight etc?

Some help please guys. Where in the settings is it that I can change it so the lens has manual focus override? On my xt1 if hold the shutter button half way then move the focus ring it goes straight into manual focus with peaking.
Guessing from memory alone, I think under AF settings on the first menu page... I'll check once i'm back in 20mins or so. If it helps, it's "auto and manual" rather than manual override or some other name.

Guessing from memory alone, I think under AF settings on the first menu page... I'll check once i'm back in 20mins or so. If it helps, it's "auto and manual" rather than manual override or some other name.

Thank you- I'll take a look now

Edit- that correct. Thanks!

Last edited:
Just playing with my xt 2 which was delivered today. It doesn't seem to work for me with the 16-55 so maybe doing something wrong but under af/mf menu page 2 af and mf

Just playing with my xt 2 which was delivered today. It doesn't seem to work for me with the 16-55 so maybe doing something wrong but under af/mf menu page 2 af and mf

It's just worked for me. Menu 2 - af+mf on.
Hold shutter half way then turn the focus ring for manual focus override.
Only thing not working is the peaking

I can't locate where you pick up the application form.......Lol Not sure if I'll be accepted into the club (?).

:)

The jury's out at the moment Peter, we'll let you know.:D:D:pint:

George.

It's just worked for me. Menu 2 - af+mf on.
Hold shutter half way then turn the focus ring for manual focus override.
Only thing not working is the peaking
That works for me now including the peaking. Going to have a proper look at it over the next few days and set it up similar to my xt1 if I can remember how I had it!!!

Also heard from SWMBO in Bangkok and she has found a store in MBK that has a couple of XT2's available and offer trade in against
whatever... SWMBO has a full Nikon D3S kit with low mileage and a few lenses that need moving on...

Also heard from SWMBO in Bangkok and she has found a store in MBK that has a couple of XT2's available and offer trade in against
whatever... SWMBO has a full Nikon D3S kit with low mileage and a few lenses that need moving on...

I saw on X-T2 in BKK a few days ago but it was more costly than in the U.K. Granted it was in The Emporium and may be cheaper elsewhere.

If anyone is after xt2 I put my name down a week ago with Chiswick cameras. They phoned this morning as they have had a delivery but I already have one. So may be worth a call if anyone looking to pick one up.

Anyone fallen out of love with the 16-55 F2.8 and want to sell it ;)?

If I get hold of one then there may be an 18-135 hitting the classifieds.

I expect some of you folk have already had a look, but in case you haven't then there sure is a "Glowing" review about the X-T2 etc in this weeks "Amateur Photographer" mag.(y)

George.

I have indeed had a read thank you George, AP seem to have been having something of a Fuji love in over the past year or so. Cynic in me wonders if it's directly proportionate to amount of advertising revenue received

So I've scratched the Fuji itch and just ordered a used Graphite Silver XT1 and 18-55mm. Have a bit of buyers remorse at the mo as I was only looking at a cheap set up and was looking at the XT10, but I always get buyers remorse for a few days unfortunately. Tried both yesterday and there's pros and cons to each, but going back to the XT10's viewfinder after the XT1 was always a disappointment. It was only really that that swung it for me TBH. I actually prefered the buttons and rear control dial of the XT10 as they protruded more and easier to operate. I find the rear control dial on the XT1 a bit awkward so I doubt I"ll use it much, but shouldn't be an issue with having dedicated dials for pretty much everything anyway.

Haven't seen the Graphite Silver in the flesh so I hope I like it. Reading online it seems to split opinions with some saying it looks plasticky whilst others say it looks stunning. I have to admit I do prefer it in the pics when the light makes it look more silver than gunmetal grey. I also read an 'interesting' blog re Fujis RAW files saying that they are quite heavily processed, especially with NR which gives them quite a painterly look. Also the ginger midlander alluded to that same in another thread on here, are the RAW files still like this or have Fuji tweaked the software? TBH I'm hoping to shoot mainly jpeg with this camera anyway tbh as one of the reasons I've had the Fuji itch was due to the colours.

Anyway, should be arriving tomorrow so I'm looking forward to having a play over the weekend :banana:

Love the look of the Graphite Silver, very retro.

Agree about shooting JPG, one reason I moved from Nikon was the constant fiddling with RAW files to get what I wanted out of it. Now I can just shoot photos instead of using Lightroom :p

Love the look of the Graphite Silver, very retro.

Agree about shooting JPG, one reason I moved from Nikon was the constant fiddling with RAW files to get what I wanted out of it. Now I can just shoot photos instead of using Lightroom :p
That's what I'm hoping too (y)

With regards to the film simulation modes, can you change this after the event with jpegs or is this only available with RAW? For example if I shot in classic chrome and wanted to change it to one of the monochromes can this be done in jpeg? If so can it be done in camera or is it software only?

I indeed owned a Nikon D810 and after moving/returning (again) to the Fuji X system found that Nikon files looked life less and flat in comparison to be honest.
Can't say I've ever felt that with my Nikon tbh. What I would say is that Fuji look more 'film like' to me even without the simulations modes, much less clinical. I love my Nikon, but there are times that I look back at my old film photos and really like the aesthetic quality. I have film presets in LR but it's not the same.

With regards to the film simulation modes, can you change this after the event with jpegs or is this only available with RAW? For example if I shot in classic chrome and wanted to change it to one of the monochromes can this be done in jpeg? If so can it be done in camera or is it software only?
They're baked into the jpg, so if you want options either shoot in raw (you can convert to jpg and add simulations in camera) or bracket the simulations.

They're baked into the jpg, so if you want options either shoot in raw (you can convert to jpg and add simulations in camera) or bracket the simulations.
Thanks. I always shoot RAW and jpeg tbh anyway, but was thinking that I might get into the habit of shooting jpeg only on the Fuji. I might just shoot RAW plus jpeg anyway just in case I have a change of mind about the processing at a later date ;)

Back