The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

From the reviews out so far I don't think the new models suffer very much from the effect, and the original series of cameras that others have listed don't suffer either.

I hardly ever use jpgs so don't notice it in the RAW files with my X-T1.

Do you need a smaller camera to have fast AF for action or are you mainly just shooting stills?

Yeah, just looked on Fuji and it is II. Which Fujis have I and which II then? I wonder if the new 24mp trans III has this effect?

From the reviews out so far I don't think the new models suffer very much from the effect, and the original series of cameras that others have listed don't suffer either.

I hardly ever use jpgs so don't notice it in the RAW files with my X-T1.

Do you need a smaller camera to have fast AF for action or are you mainly just shooting stills?
Stills, I have the D750 for sports/action.

This might sound weird but have you considered the X-Pro1? You can get a used one really cheap now. From an IQ perspective it's fantastic and the jpgs are beautiful (granted, you won't have Classic Chrome though). Peter (macvisual) posts some great pics with his on the X-Pro1 thread and the only thing lacking is the AF, but if you're just shooting stills, landscape, etc, it should be fine.

Stills, I have the D750 for sports/action.

OK. Digital Splash. Who is going, and when? @Mr Perceptive are you still going on Saturday? I'll be desperate for all those pints you owe me by then. Where to meet? Coffee shop at the entrance to Central Station? I presume you will be training into Lime Street. 9.30?

Anyone else coming? Think the plan is to go round the exhibition, buy nothing. Then go on a mini shoot, then go for a beer or several. Anyone?

the OH and I (and the dog of course - he goes everywhere with us) spent last week walking the South West Coast Path in Devon - the weather was extremely kind to us - particularly for October - and the scenery was spectacular. Just nobody about for miles and miles and lots of lovely pubs for stopping off at :) I took my XT1 (18-55) and XE2 (18mm).

Bude%20Rainbow%201068px_zpsp8e0zntb.jpg

Bude beach - rainstorm approaching

Morwenstow_zpsigskw6dn.jpg

Morwenstow

Speakes%20Mill_zpsukyb8kgr.jpg

Speke's Mill - a superb waterfall here but sadly the sun was full on

Unfortunately, my walking boots decided to give up the ghost on the way and I was lucky to escape with just wet feet
Boots_zpsqlyto1sv.jpg

Anyway it was a lovely time and the first time I have taken such 'heavy' cameras walking - normally I take just a compact but in future I think I'll be taking the Fujis - I'm looking forward to getting my XF10-24 (coming today) and my X Pro1

Last edited:
OK. Digital Splash. Who is going, and when? @Mr Perceptive are you still going on Saturday? I'll be desperate for all those pints you owe me by then. Where to meet? Coffee shop at the entrance to Central Station? I presume you will be training into Lime Street. 9.30?

Anyone else coming? Think the plan is to go round the exhibition, buy nothing. Then go on a mini shoot, then go for a beer or several. Anyone?

Yes still going, best train for me gets to Lime Street @ 9.42, open for suggestions on where to meet.

Plan Exhibition, coffee/food, mini shoot, beer

Not expecting to buy anything, for anyone interested exhibitor list is here http://www.digitalsplash.tv/exhibitors/ plus there are seminars and workshops, etc, some charged, some free.

Yes still going, best train for me gets to Lime Street @ 9.42, open for suggestions on where to meet.
OK. Meet same place 9.45. Coffee. Walk down to Pee Red, have a look round and then out.
If you buy anything that will be yet another beer coming my way. You may have to roll me back onto my train!

My train gets in at 9.44.
Give me your order and I'll have a nice cup of caffeine waitng for you. And maybe a muffin!

the OH and I (and the dog of course - he goes everywhere with us) spent last week walking the South West Coast Path in Devon - the weather was extremely kind to us - particularly for October - and the scenery was spectacular. Just nobody about for miles and miles and lots of lovely pubs for stopping off at :) I took my XT1 (18-55) and XE2 (18mm).

Bude%20Rainbow%201068px_zpsp8e0zntb.jpg

Bude beach - rainstorm approaching

Morwenstow_zpsigskw6dn.jpg

Morwenstow

Speakes%20Mill_zpsukyb8kgr.jpg

Speke's Mill - a superb waterfall here but sadly the sun was full on

Unfortunately, my walking boots decided to give up the ghost on the way and I was lucky to escape with just wet feet
Boots_zpsqlyto1sv.jpg

Anyway it was a lovely time and the first time I have taken such 'heavy' cameras walking - normally I take just a compact but in future I think I'll be taking the Fujis - I'm looking forward to getting my XF10-24 (coming today) and my X Pro1
You'll love the 10-24mm it's a lovely lens, I find it's extremely versatile and well balanced on both my X cameras,

I didn't see a thread up for digital splash but it's good to see others are going to be there! I'll be driving and getting in around 10ish.. I'll have my wife in tow so that I don't spend anything. Literally. It should be a good little event from what I gather, hopefully a little less intense than the photography show. Sooo many people!

I didn't see a thread up for digital splash
I don't think there is one. Don't think I'd be going if I'd had to buy a ticket, which might mean it's a bit more crowded than comfortable.
If you can get away from SWMBO then come on our very own mini walkabout. Liverpool One is just across the way...send her over there for the afternoon!

I didn't see a thread up for digital splash but it's good to see others are going to be there! I'll be driving and getting in around 10ish.. I'll have my wife in tow so that I don't spend anything. Literally. It should be a good little event from what I gather, hopefully a little less intense than the photography show. Sooo many people!

I don't think there is one. Don't think I'd be going if I'd had to buy a ticket, which might mean it's a bit more crowded than comfortable.
If you can get away from SWMBO then come on our very own mini walkabout. Liverpool One is just across the way...send her over there for the afternoon!

Andrew, we promise to your wife that you won't buy anything (other than beer) on our walkabout.

Good idea to bring a chauffeur, allows you you partake :beer:

Lightroom Analytics Dashboard

https://www.lightroomdashboard.com/

Drop your Lightroom Catalog into this, and it will analyse your body/lens (and lens settings) usage over a period of time, you can vary the period. It didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know, but it did confirm my favourite focal lengths and apertures (23mm f8).

Don't know where it got the 16-50 lens from, as I've never owned this, and the 50mm lenses will be the manual focus lenses I've used on the X-series cameras.

Just got my macro lens back from Stupar (many thanks). Thought I'd try and take a photo of a nice shiny new 10p piece. Look how battered it is!
This manual focussing is tricky, good job I have a cheapo slide rail.
Has anyone done/know how to do tethered shooting with the T2?
Can't do it direct to LR because it doesn't recognise the files, so anyone heard how to do it?

FUJI1628
by mickledore on Talk Photography

Last edited:
This might sound weird but have you considered the X-Pro1? You can get a used one really cheap now. From an IQ perspective it's fantastic and the jpgs are beautiful (granted, you won't have Classic Chrome though). Peter (macvisual) posts some great pics with his on the X-Pro1 thread and the only thing lacking is the AF, but if you're just shooting stills, landscape, etc, it should be fine.
TBH it's not really a camera that's ever appealed to me (no rational explanation for that) and I've read a number of sites 'complaining' of the painterly effect on the Xpro 1 too, although admittedly they were old posts and maybe adobe has altered since then?

Lightroom Analytics Dashboard

https://www.lightroomdashboard.com/

Drop your Lightroom Catalog into this, and it will analyse your body/lens (and lens settings) usage over a period of time, you can vary the period. It didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know, but it did confirm my favourite focal lengths and apertures (23mm f8).

Don't know where it got the 16-50 lens from, as I've never owned this, and the 50mm lenses will be the manual focus lenses I've used on the X-series cameras.

That's interesting. Says the lens I use most is 18-55, which I only use when out with SWMBO!

TBH it's not really a camera that's ever appealed to me (no rational explanation for that) and I've read a number of sites 'complaining' of the painterly effect on the Xpro 1 too, although admittedly they were old posts and maybe adobe has altered since then?
I must be going blind, as I've never seen this painterly effect that some people complain about on any of my photos. I've always used Lightroom and always shoot raw. I always sharpen using Amount of about 30-35, Radius 1, Detail 100 (that's the key with Fuji Xtrans files) and Masking to suit the scene but generally quite high.

Yahweh may have been the deity who was looking after you, Frank but you didn't thank him!

Peoples' faces with jpgs at high ISO do have too much noise reduction even if you turn this down to its maximum (-2) it's still there with the X-Trans II sensor. I have to agree with Stephen and mickledore that I haven't seen the painterly effect in landscapes, greenery or rocks/stones. I use LR cc and I don't see this.

From my own experience, there is absolutely NO painterly effect with the X-Pro1, jpg or RAW, at any ISO.

Yahweh may have been the deity who was looking after you, Frank but you didn't thank him!
In that case I thank both Yahweh and Nod.
Just to be on the safe side I'll add in Buddha, Confucius, Donald Trump and Jeremy Corbyn.
That should cover every eventuality.

Don't thank me - just send a signed but otherwise blank cheque and a copy of your latest bank statement... :p

Just got my macro lens back from Stupar (many thanks). Thought I'd try and take a photo of a nice shiny new 10p piece. Look how battered it is!
This manual focussing is tricky, good job I have a cheapo slide rail.
Has anyone done/know how to do tethered shooting with the T2?
Can't do it direct to LR because it doesn't recognise the files, so anyone heard how to do it?

FUJI1628
by mickledore on Talk Photography
According to Fuji, remote shooting for the X-T2 with USB and Wi-Fi connectivity will be supported in a future firmware update. They have a download for the X-T1. There is third party software you can use.

Last edited:
I've been playing about with LR and the Fuji files and if I use minimal sharpening but use the detail slider instead the painterly effect is a lot less and probably only there because I'm now looking for it. Will stick to processing this way and see how I get on.

I do notice the painterly effect in some of landscape shots although I find the detail at 100 trick does help. At one point I started to pixel peep to find it but thought I got a bit anal in looking for it, in the end printed some of the shots affected at A2 and to be honest couldn't notice it in a print.
Saying that I went down the route of getting Capture one and I do think that's better than LR but haven't really used that much. The thought of changing/adding a step to the workflow is a pain but I'm tempted just to process the shots I really like I'm C1 and still use LR as my main database.

I've been playing about with LR and the Fuji files and if I use minimal sharpening but use the detail slider instead the painterly effect is a lot less and probably only there because I'm now looking for it. Will stick to processing this way and see how I get on.
If Detail is set to 100 (and no other figure) then Lightroom uses a completely different algorithm. Don't know the science behind it, just that it works for me.

If you can be bothered! (or indeed if you're passing!) I would offer a bed before the return journey but I snore... :p

According to Fuji, remote shooting for the X-T2 with USB and Wi-Fi connectivity will be supported in a future firmware update. They have a download for the X-T1. There is third party software you can use.
That is very interesting. I just tried to tether to LR shooting JPEG only but W7 wouldn't recognise the camera. Won't use if a lot but it's useful to do at times.

Back