The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Hi everyone

Well my XT1 plus 18-135 has arrived :) Ive no idea how it all works yet but have managed to set the date and time :D I have checked the installed firmware and it's showing 4.30 and 1.0 I recall seeing posts regarding firmware updates, can anyone advise if this needs upgrading? Not done this before but I'm sure there will be instructions somewhere ;)

Hi everyone

Well my XT1 plus 18-135 has arrived :) Ive no idea how it all works yet but have managed to set the date and time :D I have checked the installed firmware and it's showing 4.30 and 1.0 I recall seeing posts regarding firmware updates, can anyone advise if this needs upgrading? Not done this before but I'm sure there will be instructions somewhere ;)
http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/fw_table.html

You'l find latest versions there, and each one will lead to a page with specific instructions. :)

Hi everyone

The latest firmware for the X-T1 is 4.31, and the 18-135 v1.00. So it would be advisable to update the camera body. There are instructions on the Fuji website http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/fw_table.html

Just a simple Fujigraph of the famous Leeds Castle in Kent UK. Little bit of PP work done to add a bit grunge etc as it was such a dull day when the image was taken.

X-T1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/200th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Leeds Castle (Kent)-60208M by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking.,(y):fuji:

George.

Last edited:
Bit of a dingy day at "Leeds Castle" Kent so I did a bit of PP work converting the shot to mono and adding some noise/grain to try and give it an old Tri-X film effect.

:ty: for looking and any comments welcome.,(y):fuji:

George.

I think the composure works really well with the foreground interest. B&W conversion looks good, albeit maybe too much grain for me :)

Bit of a dingy day at "Leeds Castle" Kent so I did a bit of PP work converting the shot to mono and adding some noise/grain to try and give it an old Tri-X film effect.

George.
I think the composure works really well with the foreground interest. B&W conversion looks good, albeit maybe too much grain for me :)

I'd agree a bit over grained for me as well

George.
Very nice George.......I like that a lot.........ah I can vividly remember the beautiful smells of developing chemicals from my Tri-X and T-Max 3200 dark room days....... sublime!

I do enjoy a bit of grain ok. I've a personal 20x16 landscape hand print/framed in our hall of T-Max 3200 which I pushed to 6400asa, grain city ok but I love it.......... development time of 18.5 minutes from memory.
Character building.

;)

Last edited:

Many thanks Graham, much appreciate your comments.(y)

George.

L brackets for the X-T2. Or to be more precise Sunway Foto L brackets. Rumour has it that they are to be available early next month in Uncle Sam land. I've been in touch with CG UK who distribute their gear in this country and they have heard nothing. Maybe the yanks are pulkling rank, who knows.

There is also another L bracket now available, but again only available over the pond. This does not have the RRS sliding plate, so I assume that all the other knock off copies from China will be the same.

My L bracket is stuck on the Hanjin ships that are not allowed to dock anywhere and are steaming back to the far east. All I can do is hang the camera off the side of the tripod head which is far from satisfactory. Might have to get the RRS, but what a price it is.

Some pretty impressive shots there Glen, also good to hear you're reports on the X-T2 setup.(y)

George.

Many thanks George,

Its seems very capable and im sure its just an adjustment curve for me after shooting trackside for so many years with 1D bodies.
Cant see me giving up the Canon gear in all honesty as i just know i dont have to worry about anything while using it as it just works.
Nice thing with the Fuji is it made me think more about what i was doing and actually enjoy the job again.

Very nice George.......I like that a lot.........ah I can vividly remember the beautiful smells of developing chemicals from my Tri-X and T-Max 3200 dark room days....... sublime!

I do enjoy a bit of grain ok. I've a personal 20x16 landscape hand print/framed in our hall of T-Max 3200 which I pushed to 6400asa, grain city ok but I love it.......... development time of 18.5 minutes from memory.
Character building.

;)

Many thanks Peter, much appreciate your comments.(y)

"I still do a whole lotta film work in the studio, virtually all medium format & 5x4 and we still develop the mono stuff in D76/ID11":D:D

George.

Last edited:
L brackets for the X-T2. Or to be more precise Sunway Foto L brackets. Rumour has it that they are to be available early next month in Uncle Sam land. I've been in touch with CG UK who distribute their gear in this country and they have heard nothing. Maybe the yanks are pulkling rank, who knows.

There is also another L bracket now available, but again only available over the pond. This does not have the RRS sliding plate, so I assume that all the other knock off copies from China will be the same.

My L bracket is stuck on the Hanjin ships that are not allowed to dock anywhere and are steaming back to the far east. All I can do is hang the camera off the side of the tripod head which is far from satisfactory. Might have to get the RRS, but what a price it is.

My Generic L - Bracket Fits OK. It was this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262113983475?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT The hole in the end plate is even big enough to open the door!! But the top part is at the same height as the strap eye on the side, so the bracket has to be spaced off a bit. I'll wait for the Sunwayfoto one now.

Thanks. That too comes from China with a long delivery date. I'm thinking of butchering my X-T1 bracket.
I have written to the UK importers of RRS asking if/when they will gave anything bug have had no reply yet.
Can you not wangle a trip to USA on business?

YouTube is your friend. The Fuji site will help you update your body + lens firmware updates.
http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/fw_table.html

You'l find latest versions there, and each one will lead to a page with specific instructions. :)
The latest firmware for the X-T1 is 4.31, and the 18-135 v1.00. So it would be advisable to update the camera body. There are instructions on the Fuji website http://www.fujifilm.com/support/digital_cameras/software/fw_table.html

Thank you guys I will investigate further.

I think this is whole thing is going to be a steep learning curve.

George.
Very nice George. I kind of agree about the grain though, although it's not so much the amount but the 'quality' it looks a bit too fine making it look more digital than film like, if that makes any sense?

Very nice George. I kind of agree about the grain though, although it's not so much the amount but the 'quality' it looks a bit too fine making it look more digital than film like, if that makes any sense?

Many thanks Toby, much appreciate your comments.(y)

"Good comments Sir, it was more or less a bit of a try out for me to see what materialized. It was all done in PS (not Nik effects etc etc) by just adding some grunge/noise. I'll go back to the drawing board as they say and see what happens with my next incarnation":D:D

George.

Currently minding our sister-in-laws dog, a different temperament compared to our long hair collie. Thought I'd try capture him this afternoon in the back garden with the XF56mm in between the rain.

One up - One down by Macvisual Photography, on Flickr

Velvia -- iso 200 -- handheld -- XF56 + XT1 -- @ f/2

Last edited:

George.
I like the tones in the conversion but I'm not sure about the grain. Perhaps a little bit overdone to my taste.

I like the tones in the conversion but I'm not sure about the grain. Perhaps a little bit overdone to my taste.

Many thanks Stephen, much appreciate your comments.(y)

George.

Currently minding our sister-in-laws dog, a different temperament compared to our long hair collie. Thought I'd try capture him this afternoon in the back garden with the XF56mm in between the rain.

One up - One down by Macvisual Photography, on Flickr

Velvia -- iso 200 -- handheld -- XF56 + XT1 -- @ f/2
Great pic, but I'm not sure Velvia works with this as it's making the blacks look purple which (imo) doesn't suit the image.

Round up off my visit to the last round of the BSB championship at Brands.

I must say I was impressed with how the Fuji XT-2 and 100-400 combo performed while imho it not as good as the D500 & 300mm f2.8 but for the amount of motorsport Im planning to
do in the future its more than good enough.

Brands Oct (6 of 9) by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Brands Oct (2 of 9) by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Brands Oct (9 of 9) by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Brands Oct (4 of 9) by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Brands Oct (7 of 9) by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Brands Oct (1 of 9) by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Thanks for taking the time to look please feel free to say whatever :)

Great shots again and thanks for sharing both the images and your findings

Great pic, but I'm not sure Velvia works with this as it's making the blacks look purple which (imo) doesn't suit the image.
I discovered that trait of velvia the other day, ny black trousers were glowing purple at high iso!
Perhaps provia + saturation would fare better...

Glowing purple trousers, now there's a shot you'd not see every day...

Round up off my visit to the last round of the BSB championship at Brands.

I must say I was impressed with how the Fuji XT-2 and 100-400 combo performed while imho it not as good as the D500 & 300mm f2.8 but for the amount of motorsport Im planning to
do in the future its more than good enough.

Brands Oct (6 of 9) by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Brands Oct (2 of 9) by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Brands Oct (9 of 9) by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Brands Oct (4 of 9) by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Brands Oct (7 of 9) by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Brands Oct (1 of 9) by Graham Norton, on Flickr

Thanks for taking the time to look please feel free to say whatever :)

Great set of images Graham, well framed, with spot on focus & exposure. "Impressed I am Sir".(y)

"Sorry nearly forgot to say", "Whatever" :whistle::D

George.

Great shots again and thanks for sharing both the images and your findings

Thanks John

Totally agree with you on that snerkler.

Graham, those motorsport captures are really excellent! Love the content and angles.

Cheers Peter

Great set of images Graham, well framed, with spot on focus & exposure. "Impressed I am Sir".(y)

"Sorry nearly forgot to say", "Whatever" :whistle::D

George.

Thanks George

Great images all round guys, very good. That lens looks superb Graham [emoji106]

I see the XT1's are queuing up like buses in the classifieds!

Great images all round guys, very good. That lens looks superb Graham [emoji106]

I see the XT1's are queuing up like buses in the classifieds!
Been loads on the used market for several weeks now, great time to buy one at the mo. WEX had a deal for a further 10% off a couple of weeks ago when I bought mine which made them even better value. I'll not be upgrading until the XT2 GSE comes onto the used market ;)

Been loads on the used market for several weeks now, great time to buy one at the mo. WEX had a deal for a further 10% off a couple of weeks ago when I bought mine which made them even better value. I'll not be upgrading until the XT2 GSE comes onto the used market ;)
Sorry for my ignorance, what does 'GSE' stand for ? Found it out, graphite silver edition.

Doh....!!

Last edited:
Back