The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

Is my depth of field gauge working right on my X-T1? For example using my Hyperfocal distance calculator at 18mm f8 the hyperfocal distance is 2.04m. If I use MF and set the focus distance to just over 2m the blue line only extends from 1-3m suggesting that there's only going to be 2m depth of field. If I increase the focus distance the length of the blue bar does not change and only seems to span the distance between 1 marked distance in front and one marked distance behind the focus distance. Obviously at the right edge of the scale the distances are larger so the DOF does increase but not by much. The right side of the blue line doesn't reach infinite until the focus distance is just under 10m making the near point just under 5m.

Does this make sense, and is it working right? The manual states it's supposed to show the depth of focus but clearly it's not.

I think that Fuji use a different C of C value to the many hyperfocal distance calculators, I stick to the latter method

I think that Fuji use a different C of C value to the many hyperfocal distance calculators, I stick to the latter method
Yeah I read that but it's waaaay out. With a hyperfocal distance of 2m yet the distance scale is saying 10m it's not even close. I've also read that the electronic scale is more accurate than the physical ones on the lenses that have them so god knows how far out they are :eek:

It would be helpful if someone could test theirs please and see if they get the same results as me so at least I know mine's 'normal' ;) I used the 18-55 f2.8-4 on the X-T1.

It would be helpful if someone could test theirs please and see if they get the same results as me so at least I know mine's 'normal' ;)

I'll have a butchers at it tomorrow if no one else has by then.

I'll have a butchers at it tomorrow if no one else has by then.
Thanks I'd appreciate it. I'm happy to 'abandon' the scale if it's useless, just want to confirm mine's not faulty (y)

Thanks I'd appreciate it. I'm happy to 'abandon' the scale if it's useless, just want to confirm mine's not faulty (y)

I've not even noticed that at the bottom of my EVF before :LOL:

I focused my 18-55mm at 18mm, stopped down to f/11 and focused 7m away. The camera said I had DOF from 1.5-3m :eek: Switched off and back on, and now it's displaying 2.5->10m. Switched off, changed back to f/2.8 and it's back to 1.5-3m. Stopped back down to f/11 and it's still 1.5-3m. Who knows what's going on :LOL:

I've not even noticed that at the bottom of my EVF before :LOL:

I focused my 18-55mm at 18mm, stopped down to f/11 and focused 7m away. The camera said I had DOF from 1.5-3m :eek: Switched off and back on, and now it's displaying 2.5->10m. Switched off, changed back to f/2.8 and it's back to 1.5-3m. Stopped back down to f/11 and it's still 1.5-3m. Who knows what's going on :LOL:
Reliable then :LOL: Oh well at least it suggests mine's 'normal'. Thanks for doing that (y)

I've noticed the DOF scale doing odd things. I think sometimes you may have to change the focus to get it to recalculate, or something like that. I can't quite remember the details, but I know I've seen it get "stuck" from time to time.

I've not even noticed that at the bottom of my EVF before [emoji38]

I focused my 18-55mm at 18mm, stopped down to f/11 and focused 7m away. The camera said I had DOF from 1.5-3m :eek: Switched off and back on, and now it's displaying 2.5->10m. Switched off, changed back to f/2.8 and it's back to 1.5-3m. Stopped back down to f/11 and it's still 1.5-3m. Who knows what's going on [emoji38]
I wonder if this is an issue that could be solved with the aperture preview function - I have it set as one of my fn buttons.
I.e. Set it like you have been, it reports wrong, then press the preview and it might jolt it to a more realistic estimate.

I wonder if this is an issue that could be solved with the aperture preview function - I have it set as one of my fn buttons.
I.e. Set it like you have been, it reports wrong, then press the preview and it might jolt it to a more realistic estimate.
Never thought about that, will try it tomorrow (y)

Edit: On second thought it's unlikely to be this as the DOF reduced when I widened the aperture and vice versa.

Last edited:
Likewise, are these shot in classic chrome by chance ? Lovely captures!

Also likewise. Looks like classic chrome colours with a slightly harsher curve on the blacks. Very nice, and suits the scenes well.

Spot on - Chrome with heavier blacks than standard. It's my go-to preset for overcast days but feels spot on for these sort of colours you find all over Japan

I prefer the 10-24 to the 14mm, quality wise the latter marginally wins it, but versatility and ois give the zoom a clear advantage. Reckon the 10-24, 18-55 and 55-200 are really all the lenses I need, being honest might just as well sell the few primes I own for all the use they get.

The 10-24, the 18-55 and the 55-200 are all I have now :). But I have 3 Fuji bodies and so each lens is permanently attached to a body. It makes for an easy life with no faffing around changing lenses out in the open.

Yeah yeah. Talk to me then, what's your thoughts ya great big cuddly teddy bear [emoji1]
Well, I have a 10-24 and a 35 f1.4, both of which I hardly use. Bought new by me but things just haven't worked out how I planned. I've probebly not taken 200 shots with either.
It seems silly having the gear sat there doing nothing, and looking at the prices of the new stuff I am considering getting rid and using the funds elsewhere. So If there's a deal going then I could be interestred, otherwise I may just talk to MPB.

Quick snap with the Canon FD 85/1.2L @ ISO 3200 with an Ilford Delta 800 preset and some messing about :eek:

View attachment 75839

Great shot Graham, lovely pose & expression, well suited to mono, and I really like the PP work with that realistic grainy film effect.(y)

George.

Must stop selling Canon gear as now added the 16mm f1.4 to the Fuji collection LOL,

Thats now going to get christened at a Christening in a very dim church this Sunday ;-)

Must stop selling Canon gear as now added the 16mm f1.4 to the Fuji collection LOL,

Thats now going to get christened at a Christening in a very dim church this Sunday ;-)
Well that's OK - the 16mm is water resistant.

Really liking the polaroid 669 preset, is that one of VSCO's?

It's one of my favourites as well :) I'm using an old version of the Really Nice Images All Films presets (v2.0). Latest version is here:

http://reallyniceimages.com/products/all-films-lightroom-pro.html

The preset I used is also included in the Lite version:

http://reallyniceimages.com/products/rni-all-films-lightroom-lite.html

They also have some cheapie instant preset packs, although they aren't quite the same.

Anyone had experience of selling to MPB? I have an X-T1 in the Classifieds but thinking of just using MPB. Not sure what condition to say it's in. I assume if I say it's "excellent" and they class it as only "good" they just pay the lesser amount.

It's one of my favourites as well :) I'm using an old version of the Really Nice Images All Films presets (v2.0). Latest version is here:

http://reallyniceimages.com/products/all-films-lightroom-pro.html

The preset I used is also included in the Lite version:

http://reallyniceimages.com/products/rni-all-films-lightroom-lite.html

They also have some cheapie instant preset packs, although they aren't quite the same.

Thanks for this (y) Bit steep for me though, :oops: :$ ;)

Just realised I've got a polaroid 669 preset in VSCO already, doesn't look like the one you posted though, much more cyan than yellow.

Well, I have a 10-24 and a 35 f1.4, both of which I hardly use. Bought new by me but things just haven't worked out how I planned. I've probebly not taken 200 shots with either.
It seems silly having the gear sat there doing nothing, and looking at the prices of the new stuff I am considering getting rid and using the funds elsewhere. So If there's a deal going then I could be interestred, otherwise I may just talk to MPB.
I'll behave and stick with what I've got just now I think. Personal circumstances dictate that I should be saving rather than spending at the moment so I'll behave. Be interesting to know what MPB offer in comparison to the prices at Calumet the other day.

Anyone had experience of selling to MPB? I have an X-T1 in the Classifieds but thinking of just using MPB. Not sure what condition to say it's in. I assume if I say it's "excellent" and they class it as only "good" they just pay the lesser amount.
I have just sent my X-T10 to MBP to part ex towards getting a X-T1 arriving tomorrow :banana: anyhow only once have they even tried to knock price down on a item ive sold onto them and ive had few items over the years sent to them.

They didn't query the condition of the X-T10 and they also arrange pick up so no postage costs either.

I have just sent my X-T10 to MBP to part ex towards getting a X-T1 arriving tomorrow :banana: anyhow only once have they even tried to knock price down on a item ive sold onto them and ive had few items over the years sent to them.

They didn't query the condition of the X-T10 and they also arrange pick up so no postage costs either.
Out of curiosity, what price did they offer you on the X-T10 as a trade in to the T1?

Not that I'll make the jump. Gonna stick with the T10 until next year then perhaps go for a T2.

Last edited:

They offered £400 for my 'excellent' XT1 a few weeks ago and £239 for my mint XE2 a few weeks before. The trouble is that they have stacks of XT1s and XPro2s ATM. Not a good time to sell - but when is??

Out of curiosity, what price did they offer you on the X-T10 as a trade in to the T1?

Not that I'll make the jump. Gonna stick with the T10 until next year then perhaps go for a T2.

They gave me £270 with it collected at that price too, It was in excellent condition.

I'm going to eventually get myself the XT2 but when they prices start to drop a little.. for now i will be happy enough with the XT1 :)

They offered £400 for my 'excellent' XT1 a few weeks ago and £239 for my mint XE2 a few weeks before. The trouble is that they have stacks of XT1s and XPro2s ATM. Not a good time to sell - but when is??
Looks like a £100 mark up for them then. With so many about, best to find a second hand T1 for sale on here / elsewhere for best price I'm guessing (though no trade in so added PITA there).

Good to know, thanks.

No, not a good time to sell but better getting something for it than it sitting doing nothing. Will be going in the holiday pot for couple of weeks time so will just have to have a few less g&ts!

You do get 6 month warranty too at MPB :)
The X-T1 i've ordered was listed as excellent condition at £500 ( on a random sale deal ) so its not too bad when ive seen few XT1's going for £450 on forums plus i was able to send my XT10 in with the deal.

Back