The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

If you like Lightroom, as I do, why not go for the CC subscription model? I really don't understand people who spend thousands on a good camera and lenses, then go for pirated software complete with viruses.

I agree. The CC package is a bargain. You can usually find it for £6.57 per month for first year and it's still good value at the sub-£9 per month standard price considering you get full Photoshop too with regular updates to both.

There was a deal to upgrade...once. Think it's been stopped. Stand alone will no doubt be phased out very soon so Stephen's suggestion is the best route.

I have Lightroom 5 [5.7.1] and it is legit. But can't find any offers to upgrade it, looks like I'd have to buy 6 fresh .... bah

What about in camera profiles for jpeg? What do you use? I can't decide which of the defaults I prefer, or how best to personalise them. I suppose that'll come with experimenting.

You can upgrade from LR5, it's here http://www.adobe.com/uk/products/ca...l_catalog_sl_software_sl_mostpopular_uk.html#

Go to Lightroom, click on buy then a new screen appears. Where it says I want to buy, go on the drop down menu to upgrade. Then it asks what you currently have (I own) select one and then you purchase the upgrade for just under 60 quid.

I went from LR3, but it gives the full range from 1 to 5, hope that helps anyone looking to upgrade without buying the monthly cloud subscription

Last edited:
Not sure if this has already been covered but if it hasn't it might be worth thinking about before you update to the forthcoming X-T1 firmware if you use an "Unupdated Nissin i40" flash unit with an X-T1.

"The following was copied from a post on the Fuji-X forum"

I am guessing for those of us with Nissin i40 and XT1 with current firmware that we need to be aware that future XT1 firmware updates will align the HSS capabilities in the Fuji camera range.
The "Unupdated Nissin i40" will be useless unless you stay with current firmware in XT1, XE1, XE2 and XPro1.

George.

Last edited:
If you like Lightroom, as I do, why not go for the CC subscription model? I really don't understand people who spend thousands on a good camera and lenses, then go for pirated software complete with viruses.

My copy of lightroom is legit, as I said, just don't want to pay for pretty much the same program again. It is just an update really. Not really looked into subscription or how it works. Will do though

Last edited:
Not sure if this has already been covered but if it hasn't it might be worth thinking about before you update to the forthcoming X-T1 firmware if you use an "Unupdated Nissin i40" flash unit with an X-T1.

"The following was copied from a post on the Fuji-X forum"

I am guessing for those of us with Nissin i40 and XT1 with current firmware that we need to be aware that future XT1 firmware updates will align the HSS capabilities in the Fuji camera range.
The "Unupdated Nissin i40" will be useless unless you stay with current firmware in XT1, XE1, XE2 and XPro1.

George.
What does that mean, George? Is it saying that the i40 will have to be sent away if it is to work on the mentioned bodies after a firmware update? What does that mean for i40 units that haven't been sent away after the T2 update which is supposed to allow TTL with the gun? Does it mean that even after the firmware updates the gun won't work on any camera unless it's been sent away to be tweaked?

What does that mean, George? Is it saying that the i40 will have to be sent away if it is to work on the mentioned bodies after a firmware update?

That's how I read it Frank with regards to the X-T1 and the other bodies mentioned. It doesn't mention the X-T2.(y)

George.

So on a purely selfish basis my unmodified i40 will work on the T2 after the firmware upgrade but not on the T1 after the next upgrade to that. Seems odd but as my T1 is now my back up body I can live with that.

So on a purely selfish basis my unmodified i40 will work on the T2 after the firmware upgrade but not on the T1 after the next upgrade to that. Seems odd but as my T1 is now my back up body I can live with that.

Certainly for the time being at least until the dust settles I'll not be updating the firmware on my X-T1 as the other things etc that are forecast in the firmware update I don't need at the moment. And as yours my Nissin i40 has not yet been updated.(y)

George.

My solution to all the confusion surrounding the Nissin I40 was to sell it a couple of weeks ago.

Certainly for the time being at least until the dust settles I'll not be updating the firmware on my X-T1 as the other things etc that are forecast in the firmware update I don't need at the moment. And as yours my Nissin i40 has not yet been updated.(y)

George.

Great minds.....

Last edited:
This has probably already been discussed in the past, but what's everyone's settings for the XT-1? For Jpeg obviously. And if you're not using Lightroom, what RAW processor do you prefer?
Don't mess with the settings too much tbh, just turn NR right down (-2) and sharpness to -1. I then just have it set to provia standard, but I shoot RAW too so if I want to change the film setting I can do a RAW conversion in camera. Also, LR's camera profiles are pretty darn close to the SOOC jpegs so I can change the film profile then too.

As for software, on the rare occasion I get the painterly effect or lack of detail I use aperture.

Well this is embarrassing. I went out to shoot today and for the first time in many years decided to shoot Raw & JPEG. I've just downloaded the card to Lightroom but can't see the JPEGS anywhere. What am I doing wrong?

Well this is embarrassing. I went out to shoot today and for the first time in many years decided to shoot Raw & JPEG. I've just downloaded the card to Lightroom but can't see the JPEGS anywhere. What am I doing wrong?

There's a tick box under LR Preferences/general to treat jpeg files next to RAWs as separate files - is it ticked?

There's a setting in Lightroom to treat the jpegs and raws a one file. Sounds like that may be selected.

There's a tick box under LR Preferences/general to treat jpeg files next to RAWs as separate files - is it ticked?
It wasn't. But it is now :D

Does the camera record JPEG to one card and RAW to the other? Or do both images go on both cards?

yeah you'll see them if you just download the folder from cam to your desktop, but LR likes to do things it's own way ... both Jpeg and RAW will be side by side in the one folder, same card btw.

Last edited:
yeah you'll see them if you just download the folder from cam to your desktop, but LR likes to do things it's own way ... both Jpeg and RAW will be side by side in the one folder, same card btw.

Does the camera record JPEG to one card and RAW to the other? Or do both images go on both cards?
If you have dual card slots normally you have the option to duplicate (ie same on both cards) or RAW on 1 jpeg on the other. Not sure if the X-T2 is the same?

Depends on how you have it set up. You can have raw on one card and jpegs on the other. Or you can have both backed up on both cards. Or sequential one card then the other.

It looks like I had it set up to record RAW and JPEGS to both cards.

Anyway here's a couple, processed from the RAW files. I shot them in Acros with Green filter and chose that camera profile in LR.

Camnridge Street Nov16-1 by Ryan Jarvis, on Flickr

Camnridge Street Nov16-3
by Ryan Jarvis, on Flickr

Camnridge Street Nov16-2 by Ryan Jarvis, on Flickr

These were shot with the Samyang 12mm F2 lens (which arrived this morning) so this was as much about trying out the lens and using manual focus as anything. I'm not great at manually focusing so I was using the zone focus technique (not to be confused with Fuji's Zone Focus option) to hit the target.

Last edited:

Anyway here's a couple, processed from the RAW files. I shot the in Acros with Green filter and chose that camera profile in LR.

Camnridge Street Nov16-3 by Ryan Jarvis, on Flickr
If you selected the profile in LR then you were working with the raw. Adobe's profiles are close to the fuji ones in most instances but their attempt at acros is furthest away from the camera jpeg version.
It would be worth comparing them to see what you think.

I have a noob question, where do you find Fuji profiles in LR?

If you selected the profile in LR then you were working with the raw.

Aha! that'll be my noob mistake, was looking with just Jpegs loaded :D

Last edited:
Been using LR5 for years and never knew you could choose between RAW + JPEG when uploading an image to work on, all my I ages load as RAW only, I had to save a separate JPEG and upload it separately.........I'm such a numpty!

:)

Been using LR5 for years and never knew you could choose between RAW + JPEG when uploading an image to work on, all my I ages load as RAW only, I had to save a separate JPEG and upload it separately.........I'm such a numpty!

:)

See above, I'm using LR since v2, and still get lost at times :)

Anyway here's a couple, processed from the RAW files. I shot them in Acros with Green filter and chose that camera profile in LR.

Camnridge Street Nov16-3
by Ryan Jarvis, on Flickr

Camnridge Street Nov16-2 by Ryan Jarvis, on Flickr

These were shot with the Samyang 12mm F2 lens (which arrived this morning) so this was as much about trying out the lens and using manual focus as anything. I'm not great at manually focusing so I was using the zone focus technique (not to be confused with Fuji's Zone Focus option) to hit the target.

great street shots. Is the aperture the only info you lose in exif? Just curious, never had a nice wide lens

Last edited:
Back