The Fabulous Fuji X owners thread

I've had surprisingly good results printing from the T10 at 40 inches by 30. So I think unless you want to print very large indeed or have a strong interest in low light, the T1 should be enough for most people with regard to image quality.
Good to know, Dave. I'm still trying to get my head around exporting from LR for print and the best settings to do so.

I assume you were editing RAW files for that size rather than SOOC JPEGs?

Good point, it's a bit steep. Is there a decent alternative?
I have used the Nissin system before and they are not bad at all for the money, decent output and a nice small design, only problem at the moment is that HSS isn't working on the Fuji bodies yet. It is coming apparently and its down to Fuji to provide a firmware upgrade for the Nissin's to work.

The sheer cost of a single Fuji EF-X500 flashes means you could buy a full system from Nissin which Wireless RF triggering as apposed to EF-X500's optical one.
If the EF-X500 used RF signals it would have been better..... you will need to buy 2x EF-X500 units to have just one off-camera flash triggering :eek: ... for me I would need 3x EF-X500's to get the two off-camera flashes I want.
3x £449 =£1347!!! :eek:

With Nissin I would only need 2x i60a flashes £239 each and 1x Air1 Commander Unit. £55 ... so around £533 approx. :)

I have a feeling that Fuji will release cheaper flashes which will work with the EF-X500 or just a commander unit.

Good to know, Dave. I'm still trying to get my head around exporting from LR for print and the best settings to do so.

I assume you were editing RAW files for that size rather than SOOC JPEGs?
Yes. But I've done very little with Fuji JPEGs, so I can't say whether it would have made a difference.

its down to Fuji to provide a firmware upgrade for the Nissin's to work.

I don't quite understand why Fuji should bother writing their firmware so a competitor's products work on their bodies. It seems a bit like Mercedes having to make engine mounts so people can fit Ford engines to their C Classes! IMO Nissin should cough up to Fuji for the source code (or equivalent) so their flashes work with Fujis rather than the other way round.

Just recently joined the Fuji club with an X-E1 and love the jpegs SOOC. Maybe upgrade in the not too distant future and wondered if the X-T1 was a big improvement for focussing over the X-E1. That refuses to focus in low light.
Any X-T1 uses also use the X-T10 too? Is the X-T1 that much better with them both having the same sensor etc? Both seem a bit of a bargain at the moment.

Just thought this young lady was worth a shot while I was out & about. This is quite a considerable crop, so not the best quality as I was at the 18mm end of the lens and didn't have time to zoom in before other folk got in the way.

X-T1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/1000th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Pretty Lady (1)-03051 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking.,(y):fuji:

George.

Just recently joined the Fuji club with an X-E1 and love the jpegs SOOC. Maybe upgrade in the not too distant future and wondered if the X-T1 was a big improvement for focussing over the X-E1. That refuses to focus in low light.
Any X-T1 uses also use the X-T10 too? Is the X-T1 that much better with them both having the same sensor etc? Both seem a bit of a bargain at the moment.

I have the XT-1 here, and the Xpro1 now too. I never used an X-T10 so can't personally state how they directly compare. But from watching reviews over time, the XT-1 has a larger, tougher, WR body and a better EVF, it's also better on the AF side. It beats the pants off the Xpro1 at least in that dept. You can't go wrong with either I would say. I prefer the slightly bigger body and the extra on body controls. The less time I have to hit the LCD menu the better. End result-wise, they will offer the same results.

In terms of performance they're about the same. The XT1 has a bigger and better viewfinder, has more dials, and weather sealed. As a result it's bigger and heavier. I actually prefer the control dials of the XT10 though, the ones on the XT1 are slightly too recessed imo.

I don't quite understand why Fuji should bother writing their firmware so a competitor's products work on their bodies. It seems a bit like Mercedes having to make engine mounts so people can fit Ford engines to their C Classes! IMO Nissin should cough up to Fuji for the source code (or equivalent) so their flashes work with Fujis rather than the other way round.

I've been told that both Nissin and Fuji have been working together to allow HSS and that Nissin i60a's running firmware 4 or later are ready for HSS, it's Fuji who haven't allowed/enabled it on their current firmware which is the issue apparently.
Who knows what's going on? Perhaps Fuji want to keep HSS locked for the the time being to their own EF-X500 units.

In terms of performance they're about the same. The XT1 has a bigger and better viewfinder, has more dials, and weather sealed. As a result it's bigger and heavier. I actually prefer the control dials of the XT10 though, the ones on the XT1 are slightly too recessed imo.

Not having an ISO dial would bug me. It's the first thing I noticed missing when I got the Xpro-1, but that's fine because I'm leaving that one in auto-ISO. Any main body I use, I need that ISO dial! Just too used to it

Not having an ISO dial would bug me. It's the first thing I noticed missing when I got the Xpro-1, but that's fine because I'm leaving that one in auto-ISO. Any main body I use, I need that ISO dial! Just too used to it
I meant the control dials on the front/back not the ones on top for ISO etc. I must admit, I am going to miss having those dials on top :(

Some of you folk may find this interesting, these notes are not mine but copied from a friends post in another forum.

I updated one of my X-T1 bodies to FW 5.01, left the second at FW 5.00, and then made comparisons. I do not claim the tests are comprehensive and hope others will add test results.

1. In 5.01, it's now possible to use either command dial to step through menus, both the main menus (shooting, playback, setup), and Q Menu settings. Both command dials appear to have identical functionality in this respect.

2. In 5.00, the above functionality is restricted to the rear command dial.

3. In both 5.00 and 5.01, front command dial functionality regarding shutter speed changes (T setting), program shift, and several other actions are identical.

4. "Improved flash functionality" is not immediately evident. I tested both bodies (FW 5.00 and 5.01) with different lenses, the same lenses, the supplied flash (EF-X8), Nissin gear (i40, i60A, and Air 1), etc. This got confusing at times because the range of possible settings is large. In all cases, FW 5.00 and 5.01 appear identical with respect to flash functionality. Note that I have no Fuji-branded units including the EF-X500, so no tests there.(y)

George.

Last edited:
Some of you folk may find this intereting, these notes are not mine but copied from a friends post in another forum.

I updated one of my X-T1 bodies to FW 5.01, left the second at FW 5.00, and then made comparisons. I do not claim the tests are comprehensive and hope others will add test results.

1. In 5.01, it's now possible to use either command dial to step through menus, both the main menus (shooting, playback, setup), and Q Menu settings. Both command dials appear to have identical functionality in this respect.

2. In 5.00, the above functionality is restricted to the rear command dial.

3. In both 5.00 and 5.01, front command dial functionality regarding shutter speed changes (T setting), program shift, and several other actions are identical.

4. "Improved flash functionality" is not immediately evident. I tested both bodies (FW 5.00 and 5.01) with different lenses, the same lenses, the supplied flash (EF-X8), Nissin gear (i40, i60A, and Air 1), etc. This got confusing at times because the range of possible settings is large. In all cases, FW 5.00 and 5.01 appear identical with respect to flash functionality. Note that I have no Fuji-branded units including the EF-X500, so no tests there.(y)

George.
Good stuff George.

I wasnt paying much attention at the time as I have the x-t10, but I seem to remember something about firmware updates and high speed sync... Could that be the flash enhancements?

Have you tried increasing the ISO ? Seen that mentioned before on the X-E1 in low light / focus issues.

Just thought this young lady was worth a shot while I was out & about. This is quite a considerable crop, so not the best quality as I was at the 18mm end of the lens and didn't have time to zoom in before other folk got in the way.

X-T1, 18-55mm Lens, 1/1000th @ F5.6, ISO-200, Handheld.
Pretty Lady (1)-03051 by G.K.Jnr., on Flickr

:ty: for looking.,(y):fuji:

George.

"Is that guy really lying on the ground taking a picture of me?" :D

My first picture processed with the X-Transformer plugin (yes, I bought it). I'm finding I only want to convert at Low sharpening, and then add more selectively later with Nik Output Sharpener, as Default can be a bit much in the out of focus areas, but I'm pretty impressed with the detail it's pulling out. I'll post a 100% crop in a mo.

Swans in Christ Church Meadow
by David Hallett, on Flickr

Looks really good Dave. Is it much of a hassle to use over sticking to LR only?

Here's that 100% crop I mentioned. I thought the 18-55 zoom did rather well with the droplets of water on the cygnet's feathers...

View attachment 93582

Isn't the 18-55 the "kit" lens, that's a hell of a lot of detail (granted viewing on a phone).

Would it be possible to get the raw and copy the processing and do a comparison?

You have to stick to just Lightroom though to make it easy

Thanks for looking into this though, essentially if that's as good as it appears at first glance then that workflow is the equivalent of a couple of hundred quid of lens upgrade

Isn't the 18-55 the "kit" lens, that's a hell of a lot of detail (granted viewing on a phone).

Would it be possible to get the raw and copy the processing and do a comparison?

Thanks for looking into this though, essentially if that's as good as it appears at first glance then that workflow is the equivalent of a couple of hundred quid of lens upgrade
The 18-55mm is probably the best so called "kit lens" I've used in terms of IQ. I'd say it's probably (bear in mind I've never done side by side comparisons) better than the Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 and Sony 16-50mm f2.8 I've had which are considerably more expensive. Obviously they're weather sealed though.

Last edited:
Looks really good Dave. Is it much of a hassle to use over sticking to LR only?
Not at all. The only problem is that there are a lot of parameters you can set, and currently no way to see the result other than trial and error (I guess this may eventually be improved). But once you have the setting you like, you just set it as a LR plugin, choose "Edit in...X-transformer (or whatever you called it)" and after confirming you want to work from the RAW, a TIF file that is actually a DNG in disguise appears in the same folder. That's assuming you set it up to use the same folder, of course. You can also control renaming etc. I find it convenient to do this as the first step in processing, but it's no great bother to sync settings from the RAF if needed. The only thing I've noticed is that the TIF/DNG seems to be a touch warmer in WB and I don't know why. It's not really a problem for me, but may trouble some people.

Edit: a small correction, the renaming doesn't seem to work when using it as a plugin, the filename is controlled by LR and is always [original name]-Edit

Last edited:

It's not that big a deal. As Toby @snerkler says, the "kit" lens is very good indeed. The improvement is visible in the fine detail even if you don't do any sharpening, but it's subtle. I would say that the sharpening algorithm is also better than LR, however. Even trying such things as the Detail = 100 approach. Recently I've had decent results skipping LR sharpening altogether and just doing a final sharpen in PS with Nik, but I think this approach yields small improvements over that. It's probably not that interesting if you don't want to print large, but if you do, it seems like 35 quid well spent!

Last edited:
Not at all. The only problem is that there are a lot of parameters you can set, and currently no way to see the result other than trial and error (I guess this may eventually be improved). But once you have the setting you like, you just set it as a LR plugin, choose "Edit in...X-transformer (or whatever you called it)" and after confirming you want to work from the RAW, a TIF file that is actually a DNG in disguise appears in the same folder. That's assuming you set it up to use the same folder, of course. You can also control renaming etc. I find it convenient to do this as the first step in processing, but it's no great bother to sync settings from the RAF if needed. The only thing I've noticed is that the TIF/DNG seems to be a touch warmer in WB and I don't know why. It's not really a problem for me, but may trouble some people.
Isn't it already IN Lightroom though if it's a plug in? I'm so confused haha

My first picture processed with the X-Transformer plugin (yes, I bought it). I'm finding I only want to convert at Low sharpening, and then add more selectively later with Nik Output Sharpener, as Default can be a bit much in the out of focus areas, but I'm pretty impressed with the detail it's pulling out. I'll post a 100% crop in a mo.

Swans in Christ Church Meadow
by David Hallett, on Flickr

That's very nice Sir, good comp, well exposed, with bags of detail.(y)

George.

The 18-55mm is probably the best so called "kit lens" I've used in terms of IQ. I'd say it's probably (bear in mind I've never done side by side comparisons) than the Olympus 12-40mm f2.8 and Sony 16-50mm f2.8 I've had which are considerably more expensive. Obviously they're weather sealed though.

I would throw the Nikon 16-80 into he mix. Very useful range, and my copy is sharp.

I would throw the Nikon 16-80 into he mix. Very useful range, and my copy is sharp.
I've not used it so can't comment. I've heard it's very good. I have the 24-120mm f4 which is very good and I've heard the 16-80 is pretty similar.

Back